Playing Halo 3, why am I having fun with video games again?

Sony and Nintendo don't make Windows.

That's my point, Microsoft makes Windows, wants developers to continue developing only for Windows, yet seemingly doesn't care about Windows as a game platform (GfWL was their main competitor to Steam, even EA has done better for gamers with Origin, and that's saying something)

If next Halo comes to Windows 8/9, I have no reason to buy next Xbox. I am sure I am not alone in saying this. :)

I no longer own an XBox, but I did for a while and absolutely love the storyline for Halo. I always got annoyed at the multiplayer though. I prefer more "realistic" combat. Hardcore mode on Call of Duty is always fun for me, or if I'm wanting some futuristic space shooter action, Killzone 3 is really fun for me. Halo always got under my skin, even though I was actually pretty decent at multiplayer, because the winning combination was to spray bullets while running toward your opponent and then melee them as soon as you're within melee range. I always wondered why dumping an entire magazine into somebody never killed them, but punching them in the back of the head was an instant kill. Somebody throw a grenade at your feet? Jump, and there's a good chance it will just launch you into the air a bit and you'll survive.

As far as the campaign mode goes though, there are a lot of memorable moments throughout the Halo series. I haven't played 4 though, and have no real desire to unless it comes to Playstation, because I'm extremely happy with my Playstation 3. It has lasted longer than both of the XBox 360s I owned combined.

There is a lot more to the game than holding down triggers and melees. If your impression of Halo its that shallow you should probably play it more. Tbh the reason I play Halo its because it's not like other shooters and tactics actually matter outside using a 50 cal as a shotgun.

Again, making windows and having halo on the pc are different things. If MS didn't care about PC gaming at all like you make it sound they would have stopped developing DirectX at 9.0 yet they didn't. The fact is that they've kept pushing the platform forward, all the low level changes made with vista and others in 7 and 8 have helped gaming. The windows store itself helps gaming, bringing the Xbox service to the pc helps gaming. MS has done and keeps doing more work to help developers who make games at the low level, porting halo to the pc has little impact to gaming as updating dx or windows itself does.

Microsoft doesn't care about PC gaming, but they sure as hell care about having control over it (Like they tried to control the entire net with IE6). Microsoft keeps updating DirectX to entice 3rd party developers to take advantage of the platform (Instead of using something like OpenGL), but they themselves won't use that platform, etc.

Windows store having a game section isn't Microsoft caring about gaming (Hell, Apple cares about gaming then), neither is bringing the Xbox service to desktops (My iPhone can do that to, etc.)

Well there is a mode in halo 4 MP that has no shields for those who want that type of play.

Swat? That game mode has been around as an actual playlist since Halo 2 if I remember correctly.

I enjoyed all the Halo games about the same in that none of them were particularly spectacular IMO. Fun FPS and multiplayer. Nothing really phenomenal with any of the Halos except that I tend to enjoy the newer ones more than the older ones because mostly all it comes down to for any FPS is how good the graphics are. The gameplay is whatever you are use to, and if you played the **** out of Halo 1 and 2, yeah 4 is going to seem foreign and you are not going to like it as much.

But I'm not a hardcore Halo fan so what do I know? Never really understood the hype around Halo. The first Halo's multiplayer paled in comparison to the original Quake multiplayer and that was released 5 years before Halo so....meh... :). I like Halo, don't get me wrong, I just am not head over heels about it. That's all.