Keith Olbermann Wants to Return to ESPN

At various times over the last year, Olbermann and his representatives have expressed interest in his return to the employer that made him famous: ESPN.

Olbermann?s expressions of interest included dinner at New York?s Four Seasons Restaurant with John Skipper, ESPN?s president.

?Keith Olbermann, both personally and through a couple people I know, reached out to say, ?Gee, I would love to have dinner,? ? Skipper said. ?I agreed to dinner with Keith because I assumed he?d be provocative and witty and fun to have dinner with, and he was indeed lots of fun. We talked sports and politics, and we had a nice chat. He is very interesting.

?Clearly he was looking to see if there was an entry point to come back.?

Olbermann?s representatives have campaigned at ESPN for possible opportunities, according to a senior executive at the network and someone directly involved with Olbermann?s efforts. Both people asked not to be identified because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the discussions.

Olbermann worked at ESPN from 1992 to 1997. A pivotal force in starting ESPN Radio, he became best known as one of the most prominent and popular anchors in the network?s history, co-hosting ?SportsCenter? with Dan Patrick.

Some at ESPN were glad to see him go; he was considered the network?s most controversial personality. Olbermann?s encyclopedic knowledge of sports was not disputed, nor were his writing skills or on-air talent. But over time, he managed to alienate a sizable group in the company, who found him exasperating to work with.

For now, Skipper indicated that a return for Olbermann was not imminent.

more

• 4 weeks later...

I used too like listening to him, until he finally just went into insane rants.

He also projects way too much arrogance.

I don't care what his f'ing politics are, he is just too psycho arrogant to be entertaining. I can at least watch Chris Matthews and get a chuckle or occasional good interview, but Olbermann? Nope. He's too busy spraying spit at the camera & drooling. Needs to get back on his Depakote. Maybe Thorazine? Which ever....