SimCity (2013)

Just seeing the reactions here and what I read elsewhere, I am damn tempted to start up SimCity 4 on my computer. I'll wait on 5 when it hits the christmas bargin bin.

It's the nostalgia.

SC4 will run just fine on Windows 8 or earlier (I have SC4 Deluxe installed on my Windows 8 desktop, and put a shortcut for it into Origin) - however, trying to compare the two any which way (SC4 and the current version) is silly in the extreme.

The current SC has a much heftier back-end (quite aside from the GlassBoxEngine) because the back-end database is itself a great-deal heftier.

Throw in the graphical improvements (despite similar GPU requirements compared to SC4), and the ten-year gap between the two becomes obvious. Painfully obvious.

What the gripers want is *improved old* - not new.

I tried making a game in sanbox mode.

"Unable to create city"

Why? Is there something I'm missing?

I don't think you're missing anything. I tried to create a city, but all this game allows me to create is a town.

All the negative reviews on Amazon for this game make me smile. Mostly because I just dislike EA.

I know, I'm having a good laugh with this thread too, but we all know EA wont learn from this, or Dead Space 3 or any other attempt at this

They'll simply blame something else.

That said.... I think I'll install Transport Tycoon Deluxe.

Wow This is horrible, can't play. Most servers busy, two available and I cant login to those two.

Not able to connect, not able to create a city, network login errors.

Hmmmmm, good start for a first day and experience of SC.

I guess I better can go to sleep.... zzzzzzzz!!

The only problems are the server problems. Once you actually play the game the plot sizes won't matter. There is a ton to manage . There is more strategy involved in this one. if you had those huge plot sizes you would never be able to manage the whole city. Also you can have a whole region to yourself. So one city would be an oil city who delivers oil to the other cities and things like that . each specialization has its own problems.

Its a lot more fun then it sounds. Also just building the city quickly will not work in this game. Roads and transportation are a big plus. You can build out the whole plot in an hour or two but that does not mean your population will be big.

Also This region play is similar to NYC. I live by NYC and each borough is their own city that shares rescources. I hope EA comes out with a NYC region that is shaped like nyc with 5 cities. heck maybe even 7 cities with 2 more taking the places of Nassau and Suffolk counties on long island

The *region* model is how MOST cities grow (and succeed); here are three examples (none of which are in the United States) - London, UK, Paris, France, and Berlin, Germany.

Each of the three has an *Old* section - that was, at the beginning, the original city. As the city grew, it began to *eat* its suburbs - we know them as *neighborhoods* today.

Well, now that we know what SimCity is, suddenly CitiesXL 2012 does seem quite good! :D

Can you play if offline?! Yes! Geezzzz, that's quite handy :)

Not really 2013, but it's playable!

Well, now that we know what SimCity is, suddenly CitiesXL 2012 does seem quite good! :D

I just looked this game up. Very nice. Thank you for bringing it up :)

I realize this is not going to be a popular opinion, but it is one I believe is based on facts...

Historically speaking, this is not the first game to have launch day server issues.

Sure, it is no doubt up there with the more disappointing games with how it is so dependent to the servers thanks to "always online," but launch day server issues are hardly new for a huge release such as this game.

So while it no doubt sucks, about the only thing to really do is sit back and wait for the issues to be resolved sooner rather than later.

If it bothers you that much, demand a refund, speak with your wallets. That is the only true way to try and avoid such a debacle in the future.

I see DLC to expand your city. This game is a joke now. I hope it fails just so they can see what bad mistakes they made.

They will never believe/accept they did it wrong, always some other factor.

Historically speaking, this is not the first game to have launch day server issues.

Why is it they never learn?? They could easily add more servers. They just don't want to spend the extra money.

This guy named his city "this is going to crash" and the moment he hit enter, kaboom!! He had 3 crashes in the space of 20 mins, then managed to get a city going again, and bang after about 40 mins, it just booted him back to main menu.

http://www.twitch.tv...51131?t=222m15s

**Beware a lot of swearing in video**

reaction.jpg

So, who here's having fun waiting for their client to authenticate? I sure am.

lol yes indeedy. Playin some trance and thinking I should probably do something other than play the waiting game

Didn't buy!!

1tumblr_lgp6q5NhE21qcjtu8o1_500.gif

I've learned to read reviews before I put my hard earned cash down before purchasing anything published by EA.

EA, please continue to kill your franchises. Its hilarious. Can't wait for Battle of Duty 4!!

Boy oh Boy

Read those reviews on Amazon

I was on fence. Now it's a definite NO.

Will wait for dollar sale later.

Now this will make a good justification for pirates. Once the game is successfully hacked, the pirates will have twice the fun without worrying about the online content.

Who will suffer? Legitimate buyers.

Think about it EA. Wait what? Your laundry man unplugged servers to plug in his iron?

I realize this is not going to be a popular opinion, but it is one I believe is based on facts...

Sure, it is no doubt up there with the more disappointing games with how it is so dependent to the servers thanks to "always online," but launch day server issues are hardly new for a huge release such as this game.

So while it no doubt sucks, about the only thing to really do is sit back and wait for the issues to be resolved sooner rather than later.

If it bothers you that much, demand a refund, speak with your wallets. That is the only true way to try and avoid such a debacle in the future.

I don't know man, I don't see how people can keep defending this. You bring up other launch day issues - but the whole point is to LEARN from those experiences and not repeat them. And time and again it keeps happening. They do these "beta" sign-ups, they do these "stress tests", they do this and that...for what?? To not have an offline component is just asanine for reasons just like this...and its a single player game! Even more so than Diablo 3 because at least Diablo has a history of online play. SimCity never has had that and EA wants to go and just throw the book at it.

The other issue for me is game saves. If you want to do cloud saves, fine. But to have them server-specific is ridiculous.

knock on wood but i have not had any problems connecting to the Australian server and im finding the game really enjoyable. but yeah i think its a bit silly not have a offline singleplayer mode.

so, who wants to take bets on how long sim city takes to get the **** hacked out of it? :p