PS2 Won't Read DVD-ROM but CD-ROM works!!!!

I got ps2 a while ago, and i got another one for free. I just took out my ps2 that i got for free, I never really used it. It wont play dvd's! not just movies, but games that are dvd-rom. it WILL play cd-rom games and music cds though. weird!!! please help me!!

I didn't get a used and broken one for free, it was new when i got it, in the box. I opened it once and used it and its been in the closet for months. i know what the problem is, the laser isn't alligned, i just dont know how to fix that

Originally posted by stuckwithme247

I didn't get a used and broken one for free, it was new when i got it, in the box. I opened it once and used it and its been in the closet for months. i know what the problem is, the laser isn't alligned, i just dont know how to fix that

I dont mean to be mean but - how the hell are we going to fix your laser? lol.. :p

a lot of people have this same problem, i just don't understand this thing that says how to fix it:

That white dial is for calibration so if you turn it you will uncalibrate the optic! To try and fix that open up the unit and take the 4 screws off the tray cover. Then snap that white circle with a magnet in it out of that cover. now hook up the unit and put in a game, using that white magnet disc to hold the disc in as it spins. Adjust that white gear and the little black screw on the optic until it is picking up your games. That is the best allignment you can do without the official allignment jig and software.

The laser became misaligned on one of my cdroms a while back..thing was, *nothing* worked..it couldn't read anything. If its reading normal CDs and not DVDs, it must be something other than a misaligned laser.

It can be a misalined laser and just not read DVD's since a DVD's "holes" are much thinner and smaller than a regular CD, so a very little missalignement of the laser can still read the big chunks on a regular CD but can't on a DVD.

Originally posted by stuckwithme247

a lot of people have this same problem, i just don't understand this thing that says how to fix it:

That white dial is for calibration so if you turn it you will uncalibrate the optic! To try and fix that open up the unit and take the 4 screws off the tray cover. Then snap that white circle with a magnet in it out of that cover. now hook up the unit and put in a game, using that white magnet disc to hold the disc in as it spins. Adjust that white gear and the little black screw on the optic until it is picking up your games. That is the best allignment you can do without the official allignment jig and software.

Um...how hard is this to follow?

I think there is a white dial on the outside, or located somewhere in the box. If you turn it, it adjusts the calibration of the laser and changes its alignment.

To fix it,

1)Open up the unit.

2) Locate where the CD/DVD loads (this is the tray, I think).

3) Unscrew the 4 screws on the cover of this loader/tray.

4) Take off the cover. Look at it's underside.

5) You should see a white circle with a magnet located probably in the middle of it.

6) Snap this circle out (should come out pretty easily with some force).

(Note: At this point, locate the little black screw on the laser head. This adjusts alignment. You should be able to access it from the sides, or from above)

7) Plug in all the wires --- the power, the visual and the audio. Don't put it back together

8) Turn this SOB on (by this time, you will be getting a bit cranky, as I am getting cranky writing this...)

9) Put in a DVD (of course it has to be a DVD, we are calibrating the laser -- adjusting the alignment -- for DVD).

10) Since the loader cover is open, you will see the DVD from above when you insert it in.

11) The white circle you took out earlier provides a blockage to hold the disc in, I think, or it allows it to spin. Either way, hold the white circle to the DVD as it spins (yes, touch it firmly with the circle as it spins).

12) As it spins, adjust the white dial and the screw on the laser with screwdriver or whatever until the game works (you can actually see the graphics and hear the sound), which would mean that it is calibrated and aligned properly.

Now wasn't that easy? And I don't even have a PS2, nor seen one before! LOL

Sheessshhhh ....

After you have simplified that ... Could you please tell me how to turn on a computer ???

I mean ... Can you list ALL of the steps because this is what I could find out and I dont understand it !!!

------------------------------------

Push Power button.

------------------------------------

????????????????

You said you got it new in a box, not new in a sealed box. And I didn't waste my time reading all the way down to where you mentioned you got it in a box. Which makes me wonder why Im wasting my time replying to you.