A recent onslaught of Crapware (a.k.a Spyware / adware)

captureamj.jpg

As of recent i've been seeing (almost daily) peoples machines infested with not just 1 or 2 pieces of crap but TONS of it. it's like they download something and it proceeds to install a copious amount of crap. Above is a screen shot of one such machine. Keep in mind I already removed about 5 toolbars before the screenshot was taken. I i'm not sure what the heck they are downloading. My guess is some crap posted to their wall on Facebook.

Anyone else seeing an increase?

Another thing I see on computers, and by "On computers" I mean 99.999999999% of every computer I touch. is the "Coupon Printer".

it probably doesn't help that image below represents the state of MOST peoples machines. Pick your poison.

captureovj.jpg

Oh most definitely. In the past year, there has been an explosion of crapware. EVERY SINGLE machine I have cleaned has had "Coupon Printer" installed. It seems like mostly "legitimate" apps have started bundling all of this crap with them.

Its probably because the program the person is installing, is free. And instead of clicking the advanced option in the install, which will let you untick the crapware, the person clicks on install. And installs everything, inc the crapware

So, if there's crapware on the system, thats the person's fault. They have to be more aware, of what they're installing. Esp if it's free

• Like 2

Oh most definitely. In the past year, there has been an explosion of crapware. EVERY SINGLE machine I have cleaned has had "Coupon Printer" installed. It seems like mostly "legitimate" apps have started bundling all of this crap with them.

I know right? I've never seen "Coupon Printer" personally in my entire life, yet 99% of people have it installed.

Yup. I'ts been bad the last few years. I had a recent client that suggested I should install PC Matic to fix her computer. Ugh...I had to pop two advil after that conversation. OEM crapware seems to be getting worse too. There's much more of it, and it's harder to 100% remove it.

Yeah, try going through my grandpa's PC. He has like everything on there that existed. After he gave me one of his, I wiped the thing clean and reinstalled 7.

• Like 2

I have seen coupon printer back in 2005. You are a little late to the game. You uninstall it and the user will just reinstall the crap. I have also noticed infected pcs of recent with the app called oovoo. It is a Skype like program I am not sure if that in itself is spyware or if it is a security hole into your system for a remote hacker or if it is completely unrelated.

Another favorite of mine was banzaibuddy.

The only way to 100% remove the oem crapware is to format and reinstall but then you run the risk of not having all of the drivers unless you run driver magician lite before you format (it will save your drivers so you do t have to find them).

I believe the coupon printer is some sort of plugin that is REQUIRED when you try to print money off coupons/vouchers from some brands.

ya I figured that's what it was for and why EVERYONE would have it. I usually leave that one alone. But still. EVERYONE has it. It's crazy!

ya I figured that's what it was for and why EVERYONE would have it. I usually leave that one alone. But still. EVERYONE has it. It's crazy!

A lot of people shop at Walmart, Target, Fred Meyer (Kroger) etc. And those places require the coupon printer plugin in order to print out coupons.

ooVoo is a chat program teenies use to chat up with girls and all that. It's the Yahoo Chat! of this generation. LOL

I saw my neice post on Facebook, "Oh I wish more people had ooVoo so we could chat" - I'm like wait, are you talking to them now on Facebook or if you want video then use Skype or whatever too? Nope, ooVoo is better, no freaking idea why though (she is 14).

A lot of people shop at Walmart, Target, Fred Meyer (Kroger) etc. And those places require the coupon printer plugin in order to print out coupons.

Well it's a good thing I never uninstall it then huh? Had a feeling about that one.

I have seen that coupon one too. But what I have seen a ton of times is this malware (don't remember the name) that will show up as a full screen advertisement of a program that you need to pay to remove the screen in question. Problem is if you try safe mode it reboots on you the second you log in (fun times!). You either have to get into another user account or access the admin account and perform a manual removal.

I have seen that coupon one too. But what I have seen a ton of times is this malware (don't remember the name) that will show up as a full screen advertisement of a program that you need to pay to remove the screen in question. Problem is if you try safe mode it reboots on you the second you log in (fun times!). You either have to get into another user account or access the admin account and perform a manual removal.

BartPE FTW!

This is another reason why Microsoft made the Windows Store. I wonder how much of this will go away once more apps are published there.

Hello,

This sounds like software classified by antimalware companies as potentially unsafe applications (PUAs), potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), potentially unwanted software (PUS) and so forth.

Some anti-malware programs do not, by default, detect PUAs, prompting the user to either toggle detection on installation, or go in and manually turn it on after installation.

You may wish to verify that client computers have this enabled (assuming that the clients do not want this kind software installed on their PCs, first).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Seen a load of this coming through DomaIQ, where you get paid if someone installs your program, you get a flash player update pop up, which in turn downloads flash_player_v_.123.exe which when run install all manner of PUP`s (coupon thingie, Yontoo, etc). Seems a lot are being pushed through the ads :(

i would say yontoo and coupon printer are the most common ones i see, mostly because people A) are cheap and always look for coupons without ever thinking, why should i have to install software to print them. and B) they never deselect things they dont want to install.