Windows 7 SE?

5. they explained why it was removed. so few people used it that it was costing more to have the codec included than it was worth

Yet Apple is able to provide out-of-the-box DVD playback and include it in their ?16-?29 costing OS updates. Undoubtedly even less Mac users still play DVDs compared to PC users. Don't get me wrong, I can't even remember the last time I played a commercial DVD, but Microsoft's reasoning seems largely bogus to me.

I'm still waiting for a Windows ME SE. Think of how much they could improve it and all the bugs in it they could fix. It's really long overdue.

Right, yes! I get BSODs so often and it interrupts my work. I've been stuck in this nightmare for well over a decade now. My friends tell me to get a Mac because they can't crash, but I like PC!

• Like 1

5. they explained why it was removed. so few people used it that it was costing more to have the codec included than it was worth

Did they do some kind of survey on this to determine that no one uses it? Just curious as normal users rely on the default media player. A basic user is not going to know to go download and use VLC media player.

Here is a list of things that should be fixed in Windows 8

1. Fix the messy monstrous combined metro/desktop ui

2. Make it easier to shut windows 8 down

3. Allow desktop users to boot to the desktop automatically.

4. Put an option in the setup to for either desktop pcs or tablets.

5. Put back the DVD playback capability.

1,2,4 - 3rd party apps (Start8 etc.) (Some programs probably also boot to desktop).

5 - 3rd party media player

Also, a few questions:

For pt.2 - How often do you shut down your computer to have to shut it down faster/easier? You have three methods of going about a function, that is normally used at most once a day (Charms bar>Settings>Power>Shut Down; Alt+F4 > Shut Down [selected by default] > OK; Ctrl+Alt+Del > Power > Shut Down). One method takes four steps, another takes 2-3, and then yet another takes 3. I don't see how that's difficult and/or slow.

For pt.5 - When was the last time you watched a DVD from your computer? Most people have either go the digital route, or watch DVDs on their TVs. It doesn't make sense to keep a feature, that is barely used.

Microsoft has unimaginable amounts of money, and they said that dvd playback was too expensive? Microsoft also completely manufactured the fact that "people aren't using the start menu anymore". They included the start menu in Windows 95 to find programs more easier. The start menu is more convenient to use, because you can open a program right on the desktop and also search right on the desktop!

Microsoft has unimaginable amounts of money, and they said that dvd playback was too expensive?

less and less computers have DVD drives as well. there's more than one factor

Not sure if you can do it yet, but will be nice when you can vLite the metro out of 8

Creating threads like this should get you banned.

This nonsense has been beat to death enough already.

Move the **** on.

you are here reading it, Banning it means you wouldn't be able to read it, not clicking it will do the same thing. Ban it in your mind and quit clicking things that upset you. I consistently don't click stuff that I don't want to read everyday,

Not sure if you can do it yet, but will be nice when you can vLite the metro out of 8

Probably really mess up Windows 8. Guess it depends on how integrated they made Metro.

Here is what I think. Everything that Microsoft has done to Windows 8 was for tablets and touchscreens! They removed the dvd playback because tablets obviously don't have dvd roms! They made metro come on first for tablets. The charms bar was primarily designed for touch screen devices also. Everything in Windows 8 was designed for tablets first! Microsoft put tablets first when they were designing WIndows 8!

Probably really mess up Windows 8. Guess it depends on how integrated they made Metro.

there's a method to disable metro completely by replacing explorer with the windows 7 version but it does indeed break a lot of things due to how deeply metro is integrated

Here is what I think. Everything that Microsoft has done to Windows 8 was for tablets and touchscreens! They removed the dvd playback because tablets obviously don't have dvd roms! They made metro come on first for tablets. The charms bar was primarily designed for touch screen devices also. Everything in Windows 8 was designed for tablets first! Microsoft put tablets first when they were designing WIndows 8!

Why use Win8 if it upsets you so much? You can still get and install Win7.

How is this not closed for troll bait?

Simply looking at the style of his posts shows the intent. He's not trying to put his point across in calm reasoned debate, he's inciting a ****ing riot.

• Like 2

so adding the ribbon to explorer was for tablets? introducing a new taskmanager was for tablets?

ultrabooks are becoming more and more popular, they don't have dvd drives either. are they tablets?

i'm sorry but you're seriously talking out your ass

How is this not closed for troll bait?

Simply looking at the style of his posts shows the intent. He's not trying to put his point across in calm reasoned debate, he's inciting a ****ing riot.

Dont think it is troll bait. Just think this probably goes in the RANTS section of the forum as he is obviously upset and needs to vent about win8....which is wha the rant section is for.

I only got Windows 8 because it was dirt cheap and I had Windows Vista on my Dell desktop. Windows 8 is snappier than 7. Windows 8 is basically just windows 7 with a touchscreen redesigned start menu added and that is why I wanted to get Windows 8. I got a program from 1998 running on Windows 8, so it still is the same Windows core!

I only got Windows 8 because it was dirt cheap and I had Windows Vista on my Dell desktop. Windows 8 is snappier than 7. Windows 8 is basically just windows 7 with a touchscreen redesigned start menu added and that is why I wanted to get Windows 8. I got a program from 1998 running on Windows 8, so it still is the same Windows core!

**** really?

So you complain that 8 isn't worth getting because it's a tablet OS, then say you bought it because it's 7 with a tablet interface..

You then proceed to tell us it's the same core.. No ****ing way.. So that explains why my Win32 apps continue to run.

This is mind boggling retarded..

Microsoft needs to release a Windows 7 Second Edition. Microsoft would slim down the amount of code in Windows 7 and make it as fast as Windows 8, but without Metro. They could also include all of the new features that is in Windows 8 like the new ribbon interface and task manager. It would be Windows 7 with all of the new features of Windows 8, but it would retain the start menu and the start button for desktop users! They did this back then like Windows ME and Windows 2000, so why not do it with a second version of Windows 7 and Windows 8? Windows 7 is a more serious OS for productivity unlike Windows 8 that has silly apps like Angry Birds!

Windows 8 is more than just Angry Birds... I have E-mail, Office, Evernote, OneNote, Skydrive, DropBox, etc on my Windows 8.

Just sayin'. :rolleyes:

Here is a list of things that should be fixed in Windows 8

1. Fix the messy monstrous combined metro/desktop ui

2. Make it easier to shut windows 8 down

3. Allow desktop users to boot to the desktop automatically.

4. Put an option in the setup to for either desktop pcs or tablets.

5. Put back the DVD playback capability.

In other words... Windows 7.

I feel as if I'm reading an Andrea Borman topic again...

There is only one Andrea Borman, and that's Andrea Borman.

Windows 8 is more than just Angry Birds... I have E-mail, Office, Evernote, OneNote, Skydrive, DropBox, etc on my Windows 8.

Just sayin'. :rolleyes:

I don't think the original Angry Birds is even on Windows 8 yet, only Angry Birds Space :rofl:

They would never do this... Why would they waste three years work only to use and older code base.

Bottomline Windows 8 is like Windows 7 after a car crash then reconstructed! I don't understand why Microsoft couldn't release a tablet specific OS and just continue with the traditional desktop with the start menu and button!

Because the traditional desktop is coming to an end. Digital Convergence is necessitating the need to change.

Because the traditional desktop is coming to an end. Digital Convergence is necessitating the need to change.

yeah no.

if anything the metro side of things will integrate deeper into the desktop for keyboard and mouse. not the other way around

Yeah his idea is to scrap Windows 8 and continue working on Windows 7.

But that will never happen... When have Microsoft ever taken a step back? If things don't work they just bring an improved version out and then all is well.

they did... longhorn was to be what is known today as Vista, but instead of lauching the xp-based os they started again with server 2003.

Desktops are never going away. Desktops are much easier to upgrade and are more powerful than laptops and tablets! Desktops are a lot better to game on and do work for hours also!