Woman gets ticket for driving under speed limit

Yeah but my point was, if she was going the speed limit people wouldn't have been able to overtake her if they were obeying the speed limit no matter what lane she was in, so the point is moot.

Why a hazard?

Maybe a hazard is too strong of a word. She was an obstacle. If you drive, you should know what I mean. And it is the law to keep to the right lane when it is free.

Yeah but my point was, if she was going the speed limit people wouldn't have been able to overtake her if they were obeying the speed limit no matter what lane she was in, so the point is moot.

She was driving below the speed limit in a passing lane. The bigger issue is that she was in a lane she wasn't supposed to be in and on top of that, she was going slower than other cars in the passing lane.

We don't have any explicit "left lane is for passing" laws in Ontario and most parts of Canada. We do, however, have laws that say drivers should move to the right if they're going slower than usual.

It's the same in the UK, the outside lanes are for passing, but she was driving at the speed limit, I don't understand how she was an obstacle as other cars couldn't pass her without breaking the speed limit.

Some fun research for everyone. The speed she was driving at was more dangerous than going 2 miles over.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Solomon_curve

It's the same in the UK, the outside lanes are for passing, but she was driving at the speed limit, I don't understand how she was an obstacle as other cars couldn't pass her without breaking the speed limit.

You can pass someone going 2 miles faster than them and the speed limit was 2 miles faster than her.

She was driving below the speed limit in a passing lane. The bigger issue is that she was in a lane she wasn't supposed to be in and on top of that, she was going slower than other cars in the passing lane.

We don't have any explicit "left lane is for passing" laws in Ontario and most parts of Canada. We do, however, have laws that say drivers should move to the right if they're going slower than usual.

Yea, it's generally accepted that the far left lane is for passing other vehicles. Right lane is for not passing/going to get off soon. Middle is for passing people on the right, but not going as fast as the left. However on the QEW that all goes out the window as every lane ends up being a passing lane. I have seen where the right lane moves faster than both the middle and left, as well as middle being faster, it all depends on traffic.

When I drive I tend to stay in right or middle as long as the road infront of me is clear, but if I know I am going to be passing someone and there is no one behind me (riding me) I remain in the fast lane. If I am in the fast lane and someone is coming up fast, if I can I move into the right/middle lane then move back over once they have passed.

That same law is about to be passed here in Atlanta, many are actually upset by this. Here the law is that you can be ticketed for hogging the left lane even if you are driving the speed limit. In this woman's case hogging the left lane and driving under the speed limit makes perfect sense for a ticket. Left Lane is a passing lane anyways, if people want to drive fast let them no need to cause an accident let them get a ticket not you,

It's very similar in the UK, but obviously the roads are the opposite way around (we drive on the left and, on a motorway/dual carriageway, the right hand lanes are overtaking lanes.)

I use lanes as they are intended, but it's so annoying when I'm coming along in the first lane on the motorway and somebody is in the lane to the right of me (lane two), which means I have to move over two lanes into the third lane to overtake the douche who should have been in lane one.

I don't think people should be ticketed for driving under the speed limit, but they SHOULD be ticketed for misusing overtaking lanes.

It's actually illegal in the UK to drive in anything but the furthest-left clear lane that you can, unless overtaking. It's actually a part of the highway code.

I really wish they'd start fining people for it. Sometimes on my way home from work (15 mile commute) I could sit in the inside lane for the entire 15 miles and never have to overtake, I'd just go past the cars in the middle lane doing 60 (it's not illegal if you don't actually undertake).

It's actually illegal in the UK to drive in anything but the furthest-left clear lane that you can, unless overtaking. It's actually a part of the highway code.

I really wish they'd start fining people for it. Sometimes on my way home from work (15 mile commute) I could sit in the inside lane for the entire 15 miles and never have to overtake, I'd just go past the cars in the middle lane doing 60 (it's not illegal if you don't actually undertake).

You're only allowed to pass on the left if a queue of traffic in the right lane is going slower than you are or if the person in front of you is turning right. If some idiot is driving 50mph in the lane two and you're in lane one, you should go to lane three to overtake. Going past in lane one is undertaking.

Source: https://www.gov.uk/u...king-162-to-169 - rule 163.

I'm glad she got a ticket, and I wish more cops would do the same. Probably my biggest pet peeve is when somebody is holding up traffic in the left lane, and refuses to move over.

There are signs about every mile on highways that say "Slow traffic keep right" for a reason. It is a law.

Same story here.

However, a few of our highways have exit ramps on the left or the highway splits into two or even three different roads. For example, OR 26 before you get into Portland is a three lane highway that splits into i405 north, i405 south and market street and right before that split there's a tunnel so you aren't supposed to make lane changes. So you either get into the appropriate lane well before the tunnel or be an ******* and switch lanes at the very last minute.

Well the speed limit is the speed limit. Going under the speed limit is just as dangerous as going over it.

Completely disagree. If you have an accident at 20mph you're much more likely to survive than if you have an accident at 120mph.

Some countries (including the UK) have certain areas where there are minimum speed limits. Usually a speed limit only says you must not exceed a certain speed, not that you MUST drive AT that speed.

Driving significantly under the speed limit on a motorway/dual carriageway IS dangerous, no argument there. :)

Probably my biggest pet peeve is when somebody is holding up traffic in the left lane, and refuses to move over.

Mine too. Especially big 18 wheelers. Someone needs to ticket a few of them and stop it.

When I'm on the highway, I set the cruise control to 98-99 kph. Then I stay in the left lane unless I catch up to someone. Always amazes me when people continually drive in the right lane, I find it more than a little arrogant as well as completely unnecessary. One of the funniest things I see is when people see a police car and they slow down way below the speed limit.

So whilst it may seem a little over the top to be booked for it, she should have known better. Bet she doesn't do it again.

Why do you need a speed limit if your also gonna impliment a "fast lane"? :rofl:

Funny how people are complaining about slow drivers being the bane of motoring. I can think of another type of motorist far worse then slow drivers; what about tailgaters? impatient drivers who think they are more important then you and think they are driving gods who can drive nearly bumper to bumper to the car in front. Yes, slow drivers are annoying, however, rather a slow driver then some arse driving so close to me you can hear them breathing (I know an exaggeration but you hopefully get my point).

To the fine this woman got. I don't agree with it, however, coming from a country that encourages it's road users to drive 5km/hr under the limit my opinion is bias.

If the ticket was really a 63 in a 65 then this ticket will be thrown out if she declares not guilty and goes to trial. The Fast lane does not give you the right to go over the speed limit. keep in mind this only applies if it was a 63 in a 65 ticket.