Leaked videos show GS4 SmartPause, eye tracking, and new lock screen

By the time Samsung's Unpacked event rolls around tonight, we might already know everything about the new device. The latest round of leaks, now helpfully arriving in video form, details two highlight features: SmartPause eye tracking and floating touch control. SmartPause does exactly the same thing LG announced yesterday ? pausing and resuming video on the handset in accordance with whether you're looking at it or not. The floating touch appears to be an implementation of Samsung's Air View S Pen functionality, made to work without the stylus. Its purpose is to open up previews of things (such as a thumbnail on a video timeline) without requiring you to tap the display, you just hover your finger over the desired item.

Finally, a pair of accompanying clips give us a peek at the Galaxy S 4's browser performance, which looks satisfyingly quick and responsive, as well as its newly redesigned lock screen. The browser demo also reveals another touch-free interaction: the person holding the phone is able to navigate between pages and scroll up and down by waving his hand in front of it. Samsung will clearly be making these new control methods a major part of its presentation tonight, though their utility and reliability won't be known until we actually get to grips with the S 4 itself.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/14/4102924/galaxy-s4-video-leak

I have actually been due for an upgrade to my iPhone 4 through Verizon for over a month now. Almost two actually. One of the reasons I have waited, besides being really hesitant to lose my unlimited data plan, is to see what all the fuss is about in regards to this phone. I have no allegiance to any phone company, just have spent a lot of money on iOS apps since I also have an iPad, but I would definitely consider going with a Droid based phone. So will see if it wows me tonight. Honestly the whole eye tracking thing so far seems like it is a completely unnecessary feature. I would rather have better battery life yet a powerful phone. So will see.

Looking at these useless features, I can only hope they're not battery hungry and are optional. If i'll ever get G S4, the first thing I'll do after getting to the system is turning that crap off.

Looking at these useless features, I can only hope they're not battery hungry and are optional. If i'll ever get G S4, the first thing I'll do after getting to the system is turning that crap off.

Of course, those options are optional. I have some features on my phone... I turned them off. The battery is great. I am sure it will be better on G4 than G3 depends on how you use with it.