WLM shuts down today?

Isn't it today that Windows Live Messenger is supposed to be shutting down? (I think just the app will ask to upgrade to Skype am I correct? and other clients like Adium, Trillian will work for a little longer?)

Nah, they pushed that back, hopefully because Skype is a POS and they wanted to release a new version beforehand.

Hello,

Starting April 8th, we will begin upgrading customers from Messenger to Skype. The process will take a few weeks to complete. April 8th is the first day you may be required to upgrade. This is a bit later than the March 15th date we previously mentioned to some of you as we wanted to give you more time to make the transition.

To keep chatting with your Messenger contacts, simply upgrade to the latest version of Skype using the instructions below and sign in using a Microsoft account (this is the same ID you use to sign into Messenger). Once signed in, your contacts will already be there. You'll be able to instant message and make video calls with them just like before, and start discovering new ways of staying in touch, including Skype on your mobile or tablet.

Upgrade now

Ive been getting the countdown message for ages, I already have Skype and really dont like it, thats why I have WLM, or MSN as I keep calling it. Most people seem to be moving to Facebook chat, cant say I agree but then I dont want to use Skype either as its horrible compared to Messenger. MS really dont get the whole like for like thing do they.

• Like 2

Ive been getting the countdown message for ages, I already have Skype and really dont like it, thats why I have WLM, or MSN as I keep calling it. Most people seem to be moving to Facebook chat, cant say I agree but then I dont want to use Skype either as its horrible compared to Messenger. MS really dont get the whole like for like thing do they.

Yea, I really don't like Skype, on top of that they automatically put you in their user directory with NO way of making your name details private or hidden

That alone is enough for me to stop using the service altogether.

Ahh! Wondered why it was still working - this doesn't seem to have been widely picked up.

Few days won't make much of a difference. Skype needs a lot more work than can be done in that timeframe! :(

I use WLM daily, have skype install under linux but on windows I'm hoping patches comes out to keep wlm working on it.

• 3 weeks later...

To bump this thread, If I am right... WLM shuts down today??

EDIT: it does say it starts today officially, and will disappear over next few weeks for everyone.. on the other hand they really do need to fix up Skype on the Mac, It crashes for me every time somebody logs in.. :s

WLM is still working for me, but once it goes I'm going to be kinda screwed. I just found out that Skype has been added into our company group policy as restricted. Wasn't there a week ago. :(

Anyone know of any lightweight alternatives that can connect to Skype using Windows accounts?

Anyone know of any lightweight alternatives that can connect to Skype using Windows accounts?

Trillian does, I believe.

And still using WLM here... I wonder how much longer for though? lol

Finch and WLM 7.5 hacked still working here.

WLM is still working for me, but once it goes I'm going to be kinda screwed. I just found out that Skype has been added into our company group policy as restricted. Wasn't there a week ago. :(

Pidgin, finch, trillian, pidgin using webpidgin-z, adium (mac), etc.

Finch and WLM 7.5 hacked still working here.

Pidgin, finch, trillian, pidgin using webpidgin-z, adium (mac), etc.

When I last checked, just a week ago, Skype had not yet released a new version of their API and it wasn't possible to connect using a Microsoft account. That was direct from Trillian's own support pages. Has that now changed?

Nope, still the case.

Skypekit is due an upgrade, however your old Skype account is still active.

You can still log in using the account name of the merged account >.<

I was going to suggest Trillian as I use it for multi-window voice/text chat. It doesn't do video, for that you'll need to stick with the real skype client. Hopefully they'll push an update out for that now it's the biggest chat network around >.<

tl;dr + 1 for trillian.

My regular Skype account doesn't have all my Messenger contacts on it, despite having merged it when the option became available to do so. :(

Also, Skype is ****. I have all my contacts grouped, and show all the groups in WLM, aside from offline ones. In Skype, I only appear to be able to display 1 group at a time, which is lame.

My WLM didn't wanna sign in today :( error message said that from today the servers are down or so and skype is taking over... So sadly. But I installed my good old WIndows Messenger 5.1 that always will work :), try it folks, better than nothing :).

Edit: I might have wrong, you are able to log in into windows messenger but live services ain't working... I recommend either OoVoo or Trillian!

My WLM still works and I hope it will stay like this for a while :/ I use version 2011Build 15.4.3555.308 o.o Well I actually could care less about WLM as I use Trillian but I use WLM as a secondary login because I had problems with Trillian and the MSN protocol in the past like messages not arriving or online/invisible states not set correctly :pinch: I doubt it's Trillian's fault though as I already had two cases of me logging into the native WLM client and found all my contacts set to blocked =_= And while I don't mind Skype for what it actually should be it's terrible as a IM Text client :(

Hello,

WLM just stopped working for me. It prompts me to download a "new version" (Skype).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1