A Little Confused

I bought a bundle of software that included Drive Genius 3. It gives permissions repair, defrag, etc. Well I'm noticing that Drive Genius will says one permission set is set one way and needs to be another way. Then OSX's Disk Utility says and does the complete opposite. Kinda like a tug of war. LOL. Drive Genius is supposed to be a reputable software setup and I'm confused as to why DG and Disk Utility believe the exact opposite for the same permission set.

Anyone have any ideas?

never used Drive Genius myself but I'd be more inclined to believe the Apple built in permissions repair more than the 3rd party tool

but that could just be me, as once again, I've never used a 3rd party tool like Drive Genius for my mac

never used Drive Genius myself but I'd be more inclined to believe the Apple built in permissions repair more than the 3rd party tool

but that could just be me, as once again, I've never used a 3rd party tool like Drive Genius for my mac

I've seen that before and I'm just curious as to why. Lol

I have no idea how Drive Genius detects what permissions should be, but Disk Utility uses the receipt files from what it was originally installed. I'd trust that more.

I've used Drive Genius and it's a HORRIBLE piece of software from a Technical standpoint. Avoid it like the plague.

It certainly looks like it. Though I'm curious why you say that. What's your experience with it?

I originally purchased the product due to it's ability to deploy a bootable disk image for offline scanning, however, they didn't state that this only worked for machines up to Mac OS X Tiger and they had no plans to provide this functionality for Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion etc. As such, I had no use for the product and requested a refund. I never heard back from the Company.

Following on from that, the Software itself simply stinks, it offers NO features that OS X doesn't natively do itself in the background, except Defrag, but with SSDs being standard in most Macs now, whats the point?

I don't see the point of defragmentation to begin with. I remember after using my 2003 eMac for 1,5 years (mind you, without formatting) the HDD's fragmentation was less than 1%. It's highly unlikely you'll ever hit serious fragmentation levels before doing an erase and install of OS X at some point.

With today's drive capacities it's probably faster to format and reinstall than running defragmentation software. :laugh:

I did know about the 20MB and under being defragmented on the fly. I do have a very large amount of files that are over. So I figured at least one defrag should be good.