Fedora Core 1 ... Have You Installed It?

Installed Fedora on my dual P3-Xeon machine at work, excellent. No problems what so ever. Installed it on my dual AMD 2600 machine, no problems. Installed on my two AMD 2000 machines, no problems.

Installed on a friend's dual P3 machine -- BAM. Networking issues, but he even states the chipset has issues (such as no ACPI support under Linux). I think its a user error but the owner of the machine is stubborn and won't admit it.

So... Fedora is 4 for 5.

My first fedora CD wont even start the anaconda installer, first I thought that is was probably a fault in the download process so I redownload the first ISO again, then, nahhh, doesn't help at all, same problem, so my second tought was that maybe it's the ISO on that site who might be broken, so I redownload (again), but this time from bittorrent..........guess what, same problem, and to be honest it's the first time ever this thing append to me, I've got a Pioneer DVD 16x slot load and he never faild to me before, anyone have a idea, or I'll have to install it via the web with the network.img file?

regard, Savagearth

prophet,Nov 12 2003, 00:42] Just out of curiosity, did you do a checksum on the downloaded iso files before burning them?

Yes k3b do it itself when i pick the ISO file, and for those of u wondering, yes I let k3b finish is checksum before I start the burn.

I'm just wondering if Fedora already comes with apt-get/yum preinstalled? Or these just are still external projects? I like debian package mannagement, but I find the whole system too slugish (like KDE loads in 10s) and unfriendly to configure. Though it has tons of NEWEST packages. Could Fedora offer this to me (let's say, could I install beta version of upcomming OpenOffice, or kde3.2 beta with apt-get?)

I installed on a a full 80GB partition. After installing and rebooting, the monitor couldn't handle the refresh rate so it was black, but Fedora kept loading. So I pushed the reset and got it to book normally. Well...after it initialized the swap space, it then failed and locked down the system. I dont know what the error was. But it was probably my fault due to rebooting it. So I tried to enter INTERACTIVE boot, but I pressed "I" one hundred times and I was never able to enter that install feature. So I guess that is "disabled" in fedora. GRRRRRRRRRRRR. I am going to do a reformat and install XP on 20GB, Stuff on 10GB and Linux on 50GB. So I will post more when I get it reinstalled.

I'm just wondering if Fedora already comes with apt-get/yum preinstalled? Or these just are still external projects? I like debian package mannagement, but I find the whole system too slugish (like KDE loads in 10s) and unfriendly to configure. Though it has tons of NEWEST packages. Could Fedora offer this to me (let's say, could I install beta version of upcomming OpenOffice, or kde3.2 beta with apt-get?)

Fedora currently comes with yum pre-installed. apt-get can be installed via yum if you wish followed by synaptic (gui front-end). As to the betas, its merely depends on the respository you select. I've used ATRPM's (the german physik's site) and gotten bleeding edge rpms --- which later killed my machine :x

Fedora currently comes with yum pre-installed. apt-get can be installed via yum if you wish followed by synaptic (gui front-end). As to the betas, its merely depends on the respository you select. I've used ATRPM's (the german physik's site) and gotten bleeding edge rpms --- which later killed my machine.

Just to add to Vidar's comment ... the Red Hat Updater in Fedora uses Yum instead of the Red Hat Network, so there is a graphical interface for both Apt and Yum.

Alright i like the replies everyone is giving, i think i'm going to give this a try. Im a noob and had dl rh9 and was going to install it but then i read on the site about Fedora and didnt know exactly what it was untill i read some more. Now that Neowin has a thread on it then maybe i can start my Fedora experience. Im kind of a noob, i've only been using knoppix for like 3 weeks now, and i use it on and off, since is the only distro i found quite nice that just runs off the cd. But i think i'm going to try out Fedora, thanks guys il post back with some questions if some of you feel like helping me out, or pointing some stuff out.

OK, I have figured out the problem. LINUX AND ALL VIDEO CARDS DO NOT WORK TOGETHER. Well...except for the ones with .5MB ram and where made in the 1800s. I mean, I have a Geforce4 ti4200. AND BOTH, Redhat and Fedora did the EXACT samething. Go to a BLACK screen and dont do anything. On my laptop's 7500 ATI, it installed WITHOUT A HITCH. WTF gives. I mean....how r we to install NVIDIA crap if the initial install doesnt work. HELP. Sorry for the rant, but I am not happy. This means that Linux will NEVER be my main OS of choise. It will always remain a close 2nd. Dont get me wrong, I like it but its a pain. Oh welll...enough ranting. HELP.

how would i go about installing mplayer using yum? as in what commands should i type. thanks

i typed as "su"

$ yum install mplayer

it resolves the dependencies and then asks "Is this ok [y/N]" and i typed 'y"

then it says 'Exiting on user command.'

any help?

Edited by tr1kstanc3

It crashed my VMware 4.0, anyone else had this problem?

It worked fine on VM for me. But I am running 5.2. That is still strange though I have never had a os crach VM itself.

OK, I have figured out the problem.  LINUX AND ALL VIDEO CARDS DO NOT WORK TOGETHER.  Well...except for the ones with .5MB ram and where made in the 1800s.  I mean, I have a Geforce4 ti4200.  AND BOTH, Redhat and Fedora did the EXACT samething.  Go to a BLACK screen and dont do anything.  On my laptop's 7500 ATI, it installed WITHOUT A HITCH.  WTF gives.  I mean....how r we to install NVIDIA crap if the initial install doesnt work.  HELP.  Sorry for the rant, but I am not happy.  This means that Linux will NEVER be my main OS of choise.  It will always remain a close 2nd.  Dont get me wrong, I like it but its a pain.  Oh welll...enough ranting.  HELP.

Heh, thats strange. I have a crappy Geforce 2 GTS that Redhat 9 had absolutely no problem recognizing and installing. I also have a Sony G400 monitor which it detected and set the proper refresh rate for 1600x1200, something XP has trouble of doing. Installing the latest Nvidia driver to get OpenGL couldnt have been easier. Download, run the package and it pretty much does the rest. I remember back in Mandrake 6 or 7 when I had to compile this and that, it was a heavy duty process, and actually nuked X the first time I tried and failed. I'd say Nvidia cards are probly among the best supported in Linux, especially now with their newest drivers, which are stupidly easy to install. I must say I was quite surprised when I ran the installer, I was expecting to spend hours figuring out how to compile everything, and was actually anticipating having to reinstall linux if I screwed up.

I suspect your problems arent the video card itself, but the Monitor. If the refresh rates are being set too high, and the monitor goes to pitch black, perhaps you or the installer selected the wrong settings during the configuration. I'd choose a generic monitor with basic settings you know your monitor can handle and experiment afterwards to get the right display setting.

how would i go about installing mplayer using yum? as in what commands should i type. thanks

i typed as "su"

$ yum install mplayer

it resolves the dependencies and then asks "Is this ok [y/N]" and i typed 'y"

then it says 'Exiting on user command.'

any help?

Try typing "N" and see what happens.

Are you using the default yum repositories that came with Fedora? If so, you'll have to add another repository that actually has mplayer on it. Adding the following to /etc/yum.conf should help:

[livna-stable]

name=Fedora Compatible Packages (stable)

baseurl=http://rpm.livna.org/redhat/$releasever/$basearch/yum/stable

Run yum with the following:

yum list

Look for mplayer in the list that's generated. If it's listed, which it should be, type the following:

yum install mplayer

Hope that helps.

Something I've been working on is getting gstreamer to support MP3 in Fedora. I found a MP3 RPM, but it had several dependancies that I couldn't resolve either with apt/yum or rpmfind.net. Since several apps use gstreamer for playing media, I really want to find some way of getting MP3 support for it.

Anyone have a solution for this issue?

thanks for the info prophet, i got mplayer installed and working correctly

No problem. Now if I could only get this MP3 thing figured out, I'd be doing really good. Apparently you need the gstreamer-mad plugin in order to have gstreamer apps play MP3s. However, it's been impossible to find a streamer that's not built for Mandrake and using specific Mandrake dependancies. I started looking for a src version of the file, but came up short each time.

It's a conspiracy, I tell ya.