[Advice Needed] Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail Daily build

Now I know it will not be released as official till next month, so it does have it's issues, but I decided to give it a go this morning and I was going to install it on my box which also Windows 8 installed on it. When I went to install it, it hung at first, but after a few moments continued.

Now I want to dual boot it, but when it gets past the install alongside Windows 8, it shows Windows 8 at 90gigs and Ubuntu partition would be 40gigs. Now, this HDD is a 500gig WD and Win8 is using all space currently. Now here's 2 questions:

1. So why does it only show 90gigs Windows and 40gigs Ubuntu?

2. Should I maybe shrink some space and see if that will show the proper partition sizes and allow a proper install?

I believe that the Win 8 partition is using up only 90GB. Not the actual partition size.

install gparted and post a screenshot of it here. Don't touch anything yet! It may be fine like ^ he said!

If you dont have gparted installed, it's

sudo apt-get install gparted

iirc

I will be posting a gparted screen in a bit. I was running the daily as live. So give me a bit to wrap up the last few touches on my Skyrim mod.

Great! Did you get it installed OK? :)

No. The install failed. During the install, it just kept throwing errors. I think I will wait a little longer on trying it out.

Considering the fact that you are trying to install an unstable daily build of Ubuntu, I'm going to assume you're a reasonably advanced user.

Unfortunately the Ubuntu installer is often fairly unstable between releases (and even sometimes for releases). It's really great - and most importantly easy - when it works, but the reality is that it doesn't handle advanced partitioning, hardware detection, or broken packages very well yet. However since Ubuntu is based on Debian, Canonical also produces alternate install discs based on the very mature Debian installer. They produce full alternate install discs (with all the default packages on the disk) only for LTS releases, but you can download a netboot alternate install disc for any release.

The disadvantage of using the alternate install medium is that its command-line partition manager is not as easy to use. Therefore I recommend that you use GParted from a GParted Live or Ubuntu disc to partition the disk prior to launching the Ubuntu alternate installer. You can download GParted Live from the project website and the Raring netboot disc from the Ubuntu Archive. I recommend that you create a root partition for Ubuntu followed by a swap partition at least as large as your physical RAM allocation. These partitions can then be formatted and selected from the installer.

• Like 1

Unfortunately the Ubuntu installer is often fairly unstable between releases (and even sometimes for releases). It's really great - and most importantly easy - when it works, but the reality is that it doesn't handle advanced partitioning, hardware detection, or broken packages very well yet.

I've run into this a couple times, very very infrequently but once in a while it'll just error out and die, rebooting and trying again will usually work the next time around, no particular rhyme or reason to it. Oddly enough, I've had more problems with 12.10's ISO than 13.04, probably just bad luck with this particular hardware but who knows. 13.04's been oddly stable for me, no serious issues so far, installation or usage, surprising for a daily build.

That said, do like some of the new visuals in 13.04, getting quite polished. Nautilus on the other hand.. oh my. Pretty much neutered the thing, it's pretty sad to see what they've done to it, used to be a pretty nice file manager.

And on a completely unrelated thread derailing note, saw this on OMG Ubuntu this morning, weather applet from a third party, this has nothing to do with Canonical. Are they serious?

new-sotrmcloud.jpg

Considering the fact that you are trying to install an unstable daily build of Ubuntu, I'm going to assume you're a reasonably advanced user.

Unfortunately the Ubuntu installer is often fairly unstable between releases (and even sometimes for releases). It's really great - and most importantly easy - when it works, but the reality is that it doesn't handle advanced partitioning, hardware detection, or broken packages very well yet. However since Ubuntu is based on Debian, Canonical also produces alternate install discs based on the very mature Debian installer. They produce full alternate install discs (with all the default packages on the disk) only for LTS releases, but you can download a netboot alternate install disc for any release.

The disadvantage of using the alternate install medium is that its command-line partition manager is not as easy to use. Therefore I recommend that you use GParted from a GParted Live or Ubuntu disc to partition the disk prior to launching the Ubuntu alternate installer. You can download GParted Live from the project website and the Raring netboot disc from the Ubuntu Archive. I recommend that you create a root partition for Ubuntu followed by a swap partition at least as large as your physical RAM allocation. These partitions can then be formatted and selected from the installer.

I agree on that. I've been using Linux since the Win95 era. But there are still lots to learn as you go. Gparted just released a new version, but I think I will stay with what I know which is version .12. As for having a swap partition the size of my ram is a bit overkill. I think half would be a bit better. But everyone has their own ideas on swap size. Some who have less then 4gigs, usually double the size. So if they have 2gigs ram, they use a 4gig swap. But it's all in prefrence I think.

Anyways, I think I will get the latest daily build later today and try as you recommended. Thank you.

That said, do like some of the new visuals in 13.04, getting quite polished. Nautilus on the other hand.. oh my. Pretty much neutered the thing, it's pretty sad to see what they've done to it, used to be a pretty nice file manager.

I definitely agree that Nautilus 3.6 has been severely gimped. It was a good decision for Canonical to ship Ubuntu 12.10 with Nautilus 3.4 instead of Nautilus 3.6 (which was in the pre-release builds I used at work sometime this last summer). I much prefer Nemo (Cinnamon's file manager based on Nautilus 3.4) or Caja (MATE's file manager based on Nautilus 2.3).

I agree on that. I've been using Linux since the Win95 era. But there are still lots to learn as you go. Gparted just released a new version, but I think I will stay with what I know which is version .12. As for having a swap partition the size of my ram is a bit overkill. I think half would be a bit better. But everyone has their own ideas on swap size. Some who have less then 4gigs, usually double the size. So if they have 2gigs ram, they use a 4gig swap. But it's all in prefrence I think.

Anyways, I think I will get the latest daily build later today and try as you recommended. Thank you.

You won't be able to hibernate if you have less swap than RAM. That's why I recommend having that much. I very rarely use any swap on my system otherwise.

• Like 2

I much prefer Nemo (Cinnamon's file manager based on Nautilus 3.4) or Caja (MATE's file manager based on Nautilus 2.3).

Absolutely -- Nemo's much better, added the chopped bits back plus a few other tricks of their own, personally my favorite GTK based file manager. Got it set up as the default file manager in my 12.10 installation, it's on my to-do for 13.04. Not sure what the GNOME guys were thinking with that one.

I've run into this a couple times, very very infrequently but once in a while it'll just error out and die, rebooting and trying again will usually work the next time around, no particular rhyme or reason to it. Oddly enough, I've had more problems with 12.10's ISO than 13.04, probably just bad luck with this particular hardware but who knows. 13.04's been oddly stable for me, no serious issues so far, installation or usage, surprising for a daily build.

And on a completely unrelated thread derailing note, saw this on OMG Ubuntu this morning, weather applet from a third party, this has nothing to do with Canonical. Are they serious?

Yup 13.04 has been really stable and snappy for me---I think I'm going to take a break from KDE to use unity. Unity 7 is soposed to arrive on the 25th this month so hopefully that improves the dash's speed and search capabilities. And yeah that weather widget is a fuggly ubuntu meets windows 8 ba***** child. :s

I definitely agree that Nautilus 3.6 has been severely gimped. It was a good decision for Canonical to ship Ubuntu 12.10 with Nautilus 3.4 instead of Nautilus 3.6 (which was in the pre-release builds I used at work sometime this last summer). I much prefer Nemo (Cinnamon's file manager based on Nautilus 3.4) or Caja (MATE's file manager based on Nautilus 2.3).

I think it would be awsome if Canonical adopted Nemo, but in reality, I think forking Nautilus and calling it "File Manager" is next on Mark's agenda. :rolleyes:

Sorry for being off topic everyone!

• Like 2

You won't be able to hibernate if you have less swap than RAM. That's why I recommend having that much. I very rarely use any swap on my system otherwise.

That is true, but I don't use hibernate. Others might.