UK ISPs start blocking KickassTorrents, H33t and Fenopy

#Michael

Damn that sucks. At least the block pages gives you some info.

Detection

KAT just hangs trying to load

Fenopy gives: Error ? site blocked

H33T works fine

ISP: BT

Azusa

ugh, we need to make our own internet using satellites.

But they'll start using our own satellites against us!!!

FlintyV

Never had any sites blocked. Can still access TPB from last time.

Detection

Never had any sites blocked. Can still access TPB from last time.

You can access TPB in the UK using no workarounds ?

Which ISP ?

FlintyV

You can access TPB in the UK using no workarounds ?

Which ISP ?

Plusnet which is part of BT.

Mr. Gibs

What's funny is that this blocking comes right after this study:

Music sales are not affected by web piracy, study finds

A report published by the European Commission Joint Research Centre claims that music web piracy does not harm legitimate sales.

The Institute for Prospective Technological Studies examined the online habits of 16,000 Europeans.

They also found that freely streamed music provided a small boost to sales figures.

"It seems that the majority of the music that is consumed illegally by the individuals in our sample would not have been purchased if illegal downloading websites were not available to them," wrote the researchers in their report, Digital Music Consumption on the Internet: Evidence from Clickstream Data.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21856720

But of course when do these media companies care about facts? They're more interested in shoving money into their pockets than actually getting with the times and improving the availability of their products.

• Like 4
Detection

Plusnet which is part of BT.

And you're not using any proxy or VPN? (Or Opera turbo mode)

Weird, I'm with BT and all except H33T from the so far blocked sites, are blocked

FlintyV

And you're not using any proxy or VPN? (Or Opera turbo mode)

Weird, I'm with BT and all except H33T from the so far blocked sites, are blocked

Nope all still working.. even using the provided modem with all standard settings.

Detection

Nope all still working.. even using the provided modem with all standard settings.

Nice :) I thought every single UK ISP had buckled under the anti-pirates evil glare, I know BT asked for longer before blocking TPB but eventually did block it.

Growled

Turbo mode uses Operas servers to compress websites to speed up mobile browsing and slow connections, essentially you are using opera servers as a proxy.

So there is a way around the block. Like usual.

Kriz

Main Kat.ph site is blocked, but as the internet always does work wonders there are plenty of other ways to still get on it, only thing that ****ed me off is that i am now unable to log in and continue my reputation, but i suppose being able to watch what i want is more important!

Ace
You can access TPB in the UK using no workarounds?

Which ISP?

I don't get blocked either. My ISP is ADSL24 (a.k.a Entanet).

Only the largest UK ISPs have to comply with the court order. That means BT, Everything Everywhere, Sky/O2/Be, TalkTalk and Virgin Media.

• Like 1
+Majesticmerc

Main Kat.ph site is blocked, but as the internet always does work wonders there are plenty of other ways to still get on it, only thing that ****ed me off is that i am now unable to log in and continue my reputation, but i suppose being able to watch what i want is more important!

"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it."

- John Gilmore, TIME Article in 1993

:)

• Like 4
Detection

It's virtually impossible to 100% block sites without crippling the rest of the net from that particular country or ISP, and even then I doubt it would be 100% possible

Only people who type the URL and get a blocked message then give up are actually blocked, and those people are very unlikely the ones who are pirating anything significant, if at all

LUTZIFER

I don't see how people wouldn't hear of certain torrent sites, or do they just pick one and just use it till it's blocked, then figure out a different one to use?

I use Google for my torrent searches, wayyy more results. Plus you get an idea of what torrent sites there are, and which seem better/more popular, etc. etc.

Detection

Do people still use public trackers ?

LUTZIFER

Do people still use public trackers ?

I use public and private, whatever has the results.

chrisj1968

what about the Tor bundle?

Detection

what about the Tor bundle?

I've watched and read quite a few different things about Tor, personally it looks more dangerous than helpful imo

+Red King

Tor is not for torrenting FYI

Luc2k

Tor is not for torrenting FYI

I think they're talking about accessing the sites through Tor, not downloading.

Noir Angel

Very disappointing to see us continuing to bow to corporate sponsored web censorship. Maintaining the freedom of the Internet should trump upholding corporate profit.

• Like 3
+John Teacake

But they'll start using our own satellites against us!!!

I have my own Satellite connection in the UK :shiftyninja: :D

You could just use various torrent search programs. BitChe etc.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By silverscholar
      Free Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, Razer Kishi Controller when you buy Samsung Galaxy S21 on EE
      by Sylvester Addo

British mobile network operator, EE, is giving away 12 months free access to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate with cloud gaming (beta) and a Razer Kishi Controller with a purchase of a new Samsung Galaxy 21 series smartphone.

The offer is available to customers who purchase any of the recently announced Samsung Galaxy S21 series smartphone; S21 5G, S21+ 5G and S21 Ultra 5G on an EE Smart Plan. These customers will also become the first to receive a new service called the exclusive Gaming Unleashed bundle.

The exclusive Gaming Unleashed bundle gives customers access to over 100 Xbox games on the go with Xbox Game Pass Ultimate with cloud gaming (beta) and a Razer Kishi Controller valued at £131.88 and £99.99 respectively.

Microsoft’s Xbox Game Pass Ultimate with cloud gaming (beta) allows gamers to play Xbox games on an android device from the cloud.

EE customers will get the opportunity to trade in their current eligible Samsung Galaxy smartphone for up to £350 off one of the new Galaxy S range. The smartphones are available to pre-order via EE telesales and on ee.co.uk.

• By zikalify
      Vodafone says it can't offer free access to BBC Bitesize
      by Paul Hill

Vodafone has told BBC News that it will not offer free access to the BBC Bitesize educational materials as BT, EE and Plusnet did last week. The mobile carrier said that its technical team have assessed the possibility of zero-rating Bitesize but concluded that it's not possible to offer free access without giving users free access to the whole of the BBC website.

Explaining why it’s not possible for Vodafone to do, the firm’s general counsel and external affairs director Helen Lamprell said:

Lamprell also said that, by zero-rating Bitesize, it would give the site an advantage over other education websites and could go against the firm’s legal obligations to maintain net neutrality. While Ofcom is mandated with ensuring net neutrality, Vodafone probably would have been safe from ramifications given that the closing of schools is quite extraordinary. Instead of zero-rating Bitesize, Vodafone has offered 350,000 free SIM cards to disadvantaged children to get them online.

BT told BBC that zero-rating Bitesize alone is technically difficult and can be costly, however, it affirmed that it’s not impossible to do which contradicts what Vodafone has said today. EE will offer Bitesize for free by the end of the month and customers will not have to register to take advantage of the offer.

Source: BBC News

• By zikalify
      RootMetrics says EE is the mobile carrier to beat in the UK
      by Paul Hill

EE has announced that it came top in terms of overall performance in RootMetrics’ latest report. The report authors described EE as the “operator to beat, with fast speeds … and impressive 5G results.” In Metropolitan areas, including suburbs, EE got a RootScore of 100 while Vodafone, O2 and Three scored 48, 23 and 15 respectively.

EE was named the best carrier across England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales, offering the fastest speeds and the most reliable connection. Of the operators that were looked at, EE was the only carrier whose 5G median download speeds went above 100 Mbps in all the test cities. The company also topped the list when aggregate median download speeds across the whole of the UK were looked at; EE’s download speed was 43 Mbps, Vodafone scored 21.1 Mbps, Three got 13.9 Mbps and O2 came last with a median download speed of 12.9 Mbps.

Commenting on the findings, CEO of BT’s Consumer business Marc Allera said:

It should be noted that a lot of the data in the report is aggregated on a country-wide level. You may not recognise EE as the best provider if their infrastructure is poor in your area. RootMetrics said its data is based on 644,546 tests performed in 750 places around the country including in 16 metro areas.

• By Copernic
      qBittorrent 4.3.3
      by Razvan Serea

The qBittorrent project aims to provide a Free Software alternative to µtorrent. qBittorrent is an advanced and multi-platform BitTorrent client with a nice user interface as well as a Web UI for remote control and an integrated search engine. qBittorrent aims to meet the needs of most users while using as little CPU and memory as possible. qBittorrent is a truly Open Source project, and as such, anyone can and should contribute to it.

qBittorrent features:

Polished µTorrent-like User Interface Well-integrated and extensible Search Engine Simultaneous search in most famous BitTorrent search sites Per-category-specific search requests (e.g. Books, Music, Movies) All Bittorrent extensions DHT, Peer Exchange, Full encryption, Magnet/BitComet URIs, ... Remote control through a Web user interface Nearly identical to the regular UI, all in Ajax Advanced control over trackers, peers and torrents Torrents queueing and prioritizing Torrent content selection and prioritizing UPnP / NAT-PMP port forwarding support Available in ~25 languages (Unicode support) Torrent creation tool Advanced RSS support with download filters (inc. regex) Bandwidth scheduler IP Filtering (eMule and PeerGuardian compatible) IPv6 compliant Available on most platforms: Linux, Mac OS X, Windows, OS/2, FreeBSD qBittorrent 4.3.3 changelog:

FEATURE: New languages: Azerbaijani, Estonian BUGFIX: Unify global speed dialogs for normal/alternative speeds (thalieht) BUGFIX: Increase maximum global speed limits ~2 GiB/s (thalieht) BUGFIX: Save fastresume when setting torrent speed limits (thalieht) BUGFIX: Group several torrent options into one dialog (thalieht) BUGFIX: Capitalize locale names (Chocobo1) BUGFIX: Improve content file/folder names handling (glassez) BUGFIX: Drop notification about move storage finished or failed (glassez) BUGFIX: Reload "missing files" torrent instead of re-checking (glassez) BUGFIX: Remember dialog sizes (Chocobo1) BUGFIX: Improve detection of file extension string (Chocobo1) WEBUI: Don't call non-existent elements (glassez) WEBUI: Update "Keep top-level folder" in WebUI options (thalieht) MACOS: QMake: Raise minimal macOS target version to 10.14 (glassez) LINUX: Use legacy 'data' directory only as a fallback (lbilli) OTHER: Bump project requirement to C++17 (Chocobo1) Download: qBittorrent 4.3.3 (32-bit) | 23.0 MB (Open Source)
      Download: qBittorrent 4.3.3 (64-bit) | 25.3 MB
      View: qBittorrent Home page

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By Jay Bonggolto
      Samsung brings the Galaxy A12, A32 5G, and A02s to the UK
      by Jay Bonggolto

Samsung Galaxy A32 5G Samsung announced today that the Galaxy A12, Galaxy A32 5G, and Galaxy A02s are coming to the UK. These phones were previously unveiled in the past few months and the latest announcement marks an expansion to their regional availability.

Starting today, you can purchase the Galaxy A12 (first unveiled late last year) for £169 via Samsung's channels and partner retailers in the UK. It's available in white, black, and blue color options. The Galaxy A32 5G, which debuted last week, costs £249 in black, white, blue, and violet color variants. It will ship beginning on February 19. Meanwhile, the Galaxy A02s is the cheapest among the three at £139. It will ship in the coming weeks in white and black colors.

Samsung Galaxy A12 All three smartphones have the same 6.5-inch HD+ TFT Infinity V display and 5,000mAh battery with support for 15W fast charging. The devices are powered by octa-core processors, although Samsung didn't specify each of the phones' chipsets. That said, we know from the company's previous announcement that the Galaxy A12 is powered by MediaTek's Helio P35 SoC.

Both the Galaxy A12 and A32 5G have a quad-camera setup on the back. The A12's camera module consists of a 48MP main sensor, 5MP ultra-wide shooter, 2MP macro sensor, and 2MP depth sensor. The A32 5G also features a 48MP main sensor, 8MP ultra-wide camera, 5MP macro sensor, and 2MP depth sensor. The A02S, on the other hand, has a triple camera setup on its back, comprising a 13MP main sensor, 2MP macro camera, and 2MP depth sensor. The selfie cameras of the A32 5G, A12, and A02s are 13MP, 8MP, and 5MP, respectively.

Samsung Galaxy A02s Memory-wise, the A32 5G and A12 have 4GB of RAM while the A02s has a 3GB RAM and 32GB of internal storage (expandable up to 1TB with a microSD card). The A32 5G includes 64GB of internal storage that's expandable up to 1TB while the A12 has either 64GB or 128GB of internal storage that's also expandable up to 1TB.