UK ISPs start blocking KickassTorrents, H33t and Fenopy

#Michael

Damn that sucks. At least the block pages gives you some info.

Detection

KAT just hangs trying to load

Fenopy gives: Error ? site blocked

H33T works fine

ISP: BT

Azusa

ugh, we need to make our own internet using satellites.

But they'll start using our own satellites against us!!!

FlintyV

Never had any sites blocked. Can still access TPB from last time.

Detection

Never had any sites blocked. Can still access TPB from last time.

You can access TPB in the UK using no workarounds ?

Which ISP ?

FlintyV

You can access TPB in the UK using no workarounds ?

Which ISP ?

Plusnet which is part of BT.

Mr. Gibs

What's funny is that this blocking comes right after this study:

Music sales are not affected by web piracy, study finds

A report published by the European Commission Joint Research Centre claims that music web piracy does not harm legitimate sales.

The Institute for Prospective Technological Studies examined the online habits of 16,000 Europeans.

They also found that freely streamed music provided a small boost to sales figures.

"It seems that the majority of the music that is consumed illegally by the individuals in our sample would not have been purchased if illegal downloading websites were not available to them," wrote the researchers in their report, Digital Music Consumption on the Internet: Evidence from Clickstream Data.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21856720

But of course when do these media companies care about facts? They're more interested in shoving money into their pockets than actually getting with the times and improving the availability of their products.

• Like 4
Detection

Plusnet which is part of BT.

And you're not using any proxy or VPN? (Or Opera turbo mode)

Weird, I'm with BT and all except H33T from the so far blocked sites, are blocked

FlintyV

And you're not using any proxy or VPN? (Or Opera turbo mode)

Weird, I'm with BT and all except H33T from the so far blocked sites, are blocked

Nope all still working.. even using the provided modem with all standard settings.

Detection

Nope all still working.. even using the provided modem with all standard settings.

Nice :) I thought every single UK ISP had buckled under the anti-pirates evil glare, I know BT asked for longer before blocking TPB but eventually did block it.

Growled

Turbo mode uses Operas servers to compress websites to speed up mobile browsing and slow connections, essentially you are using opera servers as a proxy.

So there is a way around the block. Like usual.

Kriz

Main Kat.ph site is blocked, but as the internet always does work wonders there are plenty of other ways to still get on it, only thing that ****ed me off is that i am now unable to log in and continue my reputation, but i suppose being able to watch what i want is more important!

Ace
You can access TPB in the UK using no workarounds?

Which ISP?

I don't get blocked either. My ISP is ADSL24 (a.k.a Entanet).

Only the largest UK ISPs have to comply with the court order. That means BT, Everything Everywhere, Sky/O2/Be, TalkTalk and Virgin Media.

• Like 1
+Majesticmerc

Main Kat.ph site is blocked, but as the internet always does work wonders there are plenty of other ways to still get on it, only thing that ****ed me off is that i am now unable to log in and continue my reputation, but i suppose being able to watch what i want is more important!

"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it."

- John Gilmore, TIME Article in 1993

:)

• Like 4
Detection

It's virtually impossible to 100% block sites without crippling the rest of the net from that particular country or ISP, and even then I doubt it would be 100% possible

Only people who type the URL and get a blocked message then give up are actually blocked, and those people are very unlikely the ones who are pirating anything significant, if at all

LUTZIFER

I don't see how people wouldn't hear of certain torrent sites, or do they just pick one and just use it till it's blocked, then figure out a different one to use?

I use Google for my torrent searches, wayyy more results. Plus you get an idea of what torrent sites there are, and which seem better/more popular, etc. etc.

Detection

Do people still use public trackers ?

LUTZIFER

Do people still use public trackers ?

I use public and private, whatever has the results.

chrisj1968

what about the Tor bundle?

Detection

what about the Tor bundle?

I've watched and read quite a few different things about Tor, personally it looks more dangerous than helpful imo

+Red King

Tor is not for torrenting FYI

Luc2k

Tor is not for torrenting FYI

I think they're talking about accessing the sites through Tor, not downloading.

Noir Angel

Very disappointing to see us continuing to bow to corporate sponsored web censorship. Maintaining the freedom of the Internet should trump upholding corporate profit.

• Like 3
+John Teacake

But they'll start using our own satellites against us!!!

I have my own Satellite connection in the UK :shiftyninja: :D

You could just use various torrent search programs. BitChe etc.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By zikalify
      UK politicians face legal challenge over self-destructing messages
      by Paul Hill

The law firm Foxglove and the non-profit The Citizens have teamed up to challenge the government over disappearing messages on platforms like WhatsApp and Signal that are in widespread use by politicians, according to a report in The Guardian. The two groups say self-destructing messages are a threat to transparency and the archival of messages that are required in UK law.

Commenting on the legal challenge, Cori Crider, a director at Foxglove, said:

In 1958, legislation was passed in the UK that required documents to be archived. According to The Guardian, the law also applies to digital formats such as emails. The introduction of easy-to-use self-destructing messages means that politician can more easily sidestep this legislation and campaigners say this mustn’t be allowed to happen.

Clarity over whether digital communications were covered by the 1958 legislation came ten years ago when the Information Commissioner’s Office has to tell Michael Gove MP and his office to stop using private email accounts to conduct government work due to concerns that messages sent through these channels wouldn’t be archived as required by the law.

Speaking to the BBC, the Cabinet Office has said that processes are in place to record official communications and that there are periodic reviews to ensure that collection methods are sufficient.

• By zikalify
      Vodafone: Lockdown led to 40% jump in network usage
      by Paul Hill

New research published by Vodafone UK reveals that there was a 40% increase in the amount of streaming and downloading on its network since the first UK lockdown that began on March 23, 2020. In normal times, it said the peak time for binge-watching boxsets was at 6:30 pm but during lockdown a quarter of adults admitted to watching their favourite shows at 11 am instead.

According to the broadband provider, Line of Duty, Friends, and Only Fools and Horses were among the top boxsets over the last 12 months. Other popular shows were Peaky Blinders, Game of Thrones, and Downton Abbey. The results were based on a group of 2,000 adults that were questioned as part of the study.

Commenting on these findings, Vodafone UK Consumer Director Max Taylor said:

Earlier this month, Vodafone UK announced the availability of Pro Broadband packages which start at £35 per month for 35Mbps. It described these packages as "unbreakable" because they come with Wi-Fi extenders to boost coverage and a SIM card so that you can stay online even if the broadband goes down. With more people learning and working from home, as well as streaming more content, Vodafone’s “unbreakable” internet seems like a timely product launch.

• By Copernic
      qBittorrent 4.3.4.1
      by Razvan Serea

The qBittorrent project aims to provide a Free Software alternative to µtorrent. qBittorrent is an advanced and multi-platform BitTorrent client with a nice user interface as well as a Web UI for remote control and an integrated search engine. qBittorrent aims to meet the needs of most users while using as little CPU and memory as possible. qBittorrent is a truly Open Source project, and as such, anyone can and should contribute to it.

qBittorrent features:

Polished µTorrent-like User Interface Well-integrated and extensible Search Engine Simultaneous search in most famous BitTorrent search sites Per-category-specific search requests (e.g. Books, Music, Movies) All Bittorrent extensions DHT, Peer Exchange, Full encryption, Magnet/BitComet URIs, ... Remote control through a Web user interface Nearly identical to the regular UI, all in Ajax Advanced control over trackers, peers and torrents Torrents queueing and prioritizing Torrent content selection and prioritizing UPnP / NAT-PMP port forwarding support Available in ~25 languages (Unicode support) Torrent creation tool Advanced RSS support with download filters (inc. regex) Bandwidth scheduler IP Filtering (eMule and PeerGuardian compatible) IPv6 compliant Available on most platforms: Linux, Mac OS X, Windows, OS/2, FreeBSD qBittorrent 4.3.4 changelog:

FEATURE: Add ability to prioritize selected items by shown file order (Chocobo1) FEATURE: Allow tab to escape the text box in "Edit trackers" dialog (Christoph Rackwitz) FEATURE: Support sub-sorting in Transferlist (jagannatharjun) FEATURE: Expose ToS setting from libtorrent (Chocobo1) FEATURE: Improve tracker entries handling (glassez) BUGFIX: Drop extension from generated content folder name (glassez) BUGFIX: Change qBittorrent Updater window title (xavier2k6) BUGFIX: Validate HTTPS Tracker Certificate by default (an0n666) BUGFIX: Don't let "program update" dialog steal focus (Chocobo1) BUGFIX: Disable expand on double click in TorrentContentTreeView (jagannatharjun) BUGFIX: Add hyperlink to Transifex on translator list (Si Yong Kim) BUGFIX: Enlarge "speed limit" icon slightly (Chocobo1) BUGFIX: Don't prevent system sleep due to errored torrents (dyumin) BUGFIX: Use stable sorting in transfer list (Chocobo1) BUGFIX: Allow "missing files" torrents to save more resume data (glassez) BUGFIX: Restart "missing files" torrents after changing location (glassez) BUGFIX: Show proper string when torrent availability is not available (Chocobo1) BUGFIX: Apply "Hide zero/infinity values" to "Time Active", "Down/Up Limit" and ETA columns (Chocobo1) BUGFIX: Fix potential out-of-bounds access (Chocobo1) BUGFIX: Make SpeedPlotView averager time aware (jagannatharjun) BUGFIX: Add a 3-Hour graph (jagannatharjun) BUGFIX: Add an option to disable icons in menus (always disabled on MacOS) (Michał Kopeć) BUGFIX: Improve detection of filename extension of audio/video files (Chocobo1) BUGFIX: Various drawing improvements of progress bar (Chocobo1) BUGFIX: Properly stop torrent creation if aborted (Chocobo1) BUGFIX: Replace external program parameters in one step (Chocobo1) BUGFIX: Improve "save resume data" handling (glassez) BUGFIX: Fix bad IPv6 address format for outgoingInterfaces (treysis) WEBUI: Properly decode strings (brvphoenix) WEBUI: Accept "share limits" when adding torrent using WebAPI (glassez) WEBUI: Add seeding time to the active time column (thalieht) WEBUI: Fix incorrect seeding time string in General tab (thalieht) WEBUI: Allow >100 days in WebUI function "friendlyDuration" (thalieht) WEBUI: Avoid decoding strings repeatedly (brvphoenix) RSS: Add category button on AutomatedRSSDownloader on GUI (Si Yong Kim) WINDOWS: NSIS: Update Czech translation (slrslr) WINDOWS: NSIS: Update Portuguese BR translation (Alex) WINDOWS: NSIS: Add Estonian translation (PriitUring) WINDOWS: Allow change-case-only file renaming (glassez) LINUX: Systemd: wait for mounting of local filesystems (Juraj Oršulić) OTHER: Raise minimum libtorrent version to 1.2.12 (glassez) OTHER: Raise minimum Qt version to 5.12 (glassez) qBittorrent 4.3.4.1 hotfix:

BUGFIX: Correctly draw progress bar (glassez) WEBUI: Fix javascript code which broke the UI (Chocobo1) Download: qBittorrent 4.3.4.1 (32-bit) | 23.1 MB (Open Source)
      Download: qBittorrent 4.3.4.1 (64-bit) | 25.5 MB
      View: qBittorrent Home page

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By zikalify
      Ofcom: A third of users found hate speech on video sites in the last 90 days
      by Paul Hill

The UK’s digital regulator, Ofcom, has published new findings that suggest a third of people who accessed video-sharing websites such as YouTube came across hateful content in the last three months suggesting content policing may not be working. The new findings were released to coincide with new rules, published by Ofcom, which video-sharing platforms (VSPs) must comply with.

Ofcom’s study found that a third of users had found hateful content online; the regulator said the content was normally directed towards certain racial groups, religious groups, transgender people and according to sexual orientation.

Beyond that content, a quarter of those asked said they had been exposed to bullying, abusive behaviour and other threats. A fifth of respondents said that they had witnessed or experienced racist content online and those from a minority ethnic background were more likely to have encountered this content.

As younger people tend to be more adept with technology, its unsurprising to hear from Ofcom that 13- to 17-year-olds were more likely to have been exposed to harmful content online in the last three months. Seven in ten of VSP users who responded said they came across harmful content but this rose to eight in ten among 13- to 17-year-olds.

The regulator also found that 60% of VSP users that responded were unaware of the safety and protection features on the websites they use and only 25% have ever flagged or reported content they thought was harmful. To help raise awareness, Ofcom has told VSPs that they need to introduce clear upload rules, make it easy to flag or report content, and it said that adult sites should introduce age-verification systems.

If sites fail to comply with Ofcom’s decisions, it will investigate and take action. Some of the measures it could enforce include fines, requiring a provider to take specific actions, and in serious cases, it could restrict access to the service.

• By Copernic
      LIII BitTorrent Client 0.1.1.5
      by Razvan Serea

LIII BitTorrent Client is a open-source BitTorrent client capable of downloading torrents with minimal impact on the system's resources. The software distinguishes itself from the competition with a minimalistic, no-nonsense interface and easily accessible options. Along with the standard features, LIII BitTorrent Client offers convenient downloads managing, flexible settings, etc. It is also possible to open torrents from URLs or magnet links. You can use it to download any and all Torrent files you find around the web at speeds as fast as any other BitTorrent client, if not faster.

Changes in v0.1.1.5:

Display how much DHT nodes LIII is connected to, "[DHT: xxx nodes]" in the program title bar Colored status column Download: LIII BitTorrent Client 0.1.1.5 | 10.0 MB (Open Source)
      Download: Portable 32-bit | Portable 64-bit ~12.0 MB
      View: LIII BitTorrent Client Home Page | Project Page @GitHub

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware