UK ISPs start blocking KickassTorrents, H33t and Fenopy

#Michael

Damn that sucks. At least the block pages gives you some info.

Detection

KAT just hangs trying to load

Fenopy gives: Error ? site blocked

H33T works fine

ISP: BT

Azusa

ugh, we need to make our own internet using satellites.

But they'll start using our own satellites against us!!!

FlintyV

Never had any sites blocked. Can still access TPB from last time.

Detection

Never had any sites blocked. Can still access TPB from last time.

You can access TPB in the UK using no workarounds ?

Which ISP ?

FlintyV

You can access TPB in the UK using no workarounds ?

Which ISP ?

Plusnet which is part of BT.

Mr. Gibs

What's funny is that this blocking comes right after this study:

Music sales are not affected by web piracy, study finds

A report published by the European Commission Joint Research Centre claims that music web piracy does not harm legitimate sales.

The Institute for Prospective Technological Studies examined the online habits of 16,000 Europeans.

They also found that freely streamed music provided a small boost to sales figures.

"It seems that the majority of the music that is consumed illegally by the individuals in our sample would not have been purchased if illegal downloading websites were not available to them," wrote the researchers in their report, Digital Music Consumption on the Internet: Evidence from Clickstream Data.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21856720

But of course when do these media companies care about facts? They're more interested in shoving money into their pockets than actually getting with the times and improving the availability of their products.

• Like 4
Detection

Plusnet which is part of BT.

And you're not using any proxy or VPN? (Or Opera turbo mode)

Weird, I'm with BT and all except H33T from the so far blocked sites, are blocked

FlintyV

And you're not using any proxy or VPN? (Or Opera turbo mode)

Weird, I'm with BT and all except H33T from the so far blocked sites, are blocked

Nope all still working.. even using the provided modem with all standard settings.

Detection

Nope all still working.. even using the provided modem with all standard settings.

Nice :) I thought every single UK ISP had buckled under the anti-pirates evil glare, I know BT asked for longer before blocking TPB but eventually did block it.

Growled

Turbo mode uses Operas servers to compress websites to speed up mobile browsing and slow connections, essentially you are using opera servers as a proxy.

So there is a way around the block. Like usual.

Kriz

Main Kat.ph site is blocked, but as the internet always does work wonders there are plenty of other ways to still get on it, only thing that ****ed me off is that i am now unable to log in and continue my reputation, but i suppose being able to watch what i want is more important!

Ace
You can access TPB in the UK using no workarounds?

Which ISP?

I don't get blocked either. My ISP is ADSL24 (a.k.a Entanet).

Only the largest UK ISPs have to comply with the court order. That means BT, Everything Everywhere, Sky/O2/Be, TalkTalk and Virgin Media.

• Like 1
+Majesticmerc

Main Kat.ph site is blocked, but as the internet always does work wonders there are plenty of other ways to still get on it, only thing that ****ed me off is that i am now unable to log in and continue my reputation, but i suppose being able to watch what i want is more important!

"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it."

- John Gilmore, TIME Article in 1993

:)

• Like 4
Detection

It's virtually impossible to 100% block sites without crippling the rest of the net from that particular country or ISP, and even then I doubt it would be 100% possible

Only people who type the URL and get a blocked message then give up are actually blocked, and those people are very unlikely the ones who are pirating anything significant, if at all

LUTZIFER

I don't see how people wouldn't hear of certain torrent sites, or do they just pick one and just use it till it's blocked, then figure out a different one to use?

I use Google for my torrent searches, wayyy more results. Plus you get an idea of what torrent sites there are, and which seem better/more popular, etc. etc.

Detection

Do people still use public trackers ?

LUTZIFER

Do people still use public trackers ?

I use public and private, whatever has the results.

chrisj1968

what about the Tor bundle?

Detection

what about the Tor bundle?

I've watched and read quite a few different things about Tor, personally it looks more dangerous than helpful imo

+Red King

Tor is not for torrenting FYI

Luc2k

Tor is not for torrenting FYI

I think they're talking about accessing the sites through Tor, not downloading.

Noir Angel

Very disappointing to see us continuing to bow to corporate sponsored web censorship. Maintaining the freedom of the Internet should trump upholding corporate profit.

• Like 3
+John Teacake

But they'll start using our own satellites against us!!!

I have my own Satellite connection in the UK :shiftyninja: :D

You could just use various torrent search programs. BitChe etc.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By zikalify
      UK's Supreme Court says Uber drivers are employees
      by Paul Hill

The UK's Supreme Court has ruled that a group of Uber drivers, 25 in all, who took Uber to an employment tribunal, are to be considered employees of the firm rather than self-employed. For the time being, the employed status only applies to this group who brought the case but it could have a wider impact on the gig economy where people essentially perform piece work without other benefits that employees enjoy such as sick pay.

The case, which was finally settled today by the UK’s Supreme Court, has been going on for around five years now. It was initially played out at a London employment tribunal which found that the drivers were entitled to paid holidays and rest breaks but Uber appealed the decision so the case progressively went through higher and higher courts.

Britain’s 60,000 Uber drivers will not see any change to their employment status for quite a while yet, among the 25 who brought the case, details about their employment will need to be worked out over the next several months, it could even be the case that another employment tribunal hearing is needed to work out how much money is owed to the drivers.

Commenting on the results, judge George Leggatt said:

Uber has faced calls to make drivers employees in other countries too; Californians recently voted to keep gig economy drivers as contractors rather than employees after Uber and Lyft poured more than $200 million into a campaign to keep the existing regime.

Source: UK Supreme Court via Reuters

• By zikalify
      Virgin Media study calls for more tech investment in the UK
      by Paul Hill

The broadband provider Virgin Media has published a new study that calls for the UK to invest more money in digital technology to boost the economy by £232 billion (6.9%) by 2040. The study was written in collaboration with the Centre for Economics and Business Research (CEBR).

The new study was done to help examine ways that technology can support the UK’s economic recovery following the COVID-19 pandemic. While COVID-19 has sped up the adoption of digital solutions, the report’s authors believe that there's still a lot more that could be done. Investment in services and infrastructure could boost the economy by £75 billion, investment in digital health and social care could be worth £33 billion, and changes to justice, central and local government could be worth another £32 billion.

Commenting on the report, Director of Economic Analysis at CEBR Cristian Niculescu-Marcu said:

By investing more money into digital technology, it’s expected that the productivity of the workforce would increase by enabling people to work from home, access to services would be increased, meaning people could more easily educate themselves while businesses can get things done faster. Richer data will be available for AI and analysts which could help the economy in other ways, too.

• By zikalify
      UK court to decide whether Uber drivers are employees
      by Paul Hill

The UK’s Supreme Court will reveal whether Uber drivers are to be considered employees or self-employed next Friday, according to a Reuters report. If the drivers are considered to be Uber’s employees it will mean that they’ll be entitled to things such as a minimum wage, paid holidays and rest breaks.

The decision next week is the culmination of several appeals by the ride-hailing firm after a London-based employment tribunal said that Uber drivers were employees back in 2016. At the time, Labour MP Jack Dromey said that Uber would fundamentally have to rethink how they operate – it’s still not clear what Uber would propose or how it would affect the thousands of Uber drivers.

According to Reuters, even after the decision is made public next Friday, it could still take several more months until the decision takes force because another employment tribunal hearing will need to take place to work out how the decision works in practice.

Since the decision in 2016, Uber has faced a similar challenge in California where the public got a vote on the matter. The ride-hailing firm ploughed money into the campaign and as a result, the public voted to keep app-based drivers classified as self-employed contractors rather than employees.

• By zikalify
      O2 hit with £10.5 million fine for overcharging customers
      by Paul Hill

The UK communications regulator Ofcom has slapped O2 with a £10.5 million fine for overcharging mobile customers who were leaving. An Ofcom investigation launched in 2019 found that for eight years, from 2011, O2 had been double charging some people in their final bill.

According to Ofcom’s investigation, more than 250,000 customers had been hit by the over-billing but only 140,000 actually paid for the extra charges. Ofcom said that O2 has been refunding customers an additional 4%. In the cases where O2 couldn’t reach a customer, it donated the equivalent amount to charity. If you’ve been affected and have proof, Ofcom advises that you contact O2 directly.

Commenting on the matter, Ofcom’s Enforcement Director Gaucho Rasmussen said:

What’s shocking is that O2 knew this was going on back in 2011 but it failed to address the issue and carried on overcharging customers. The £10.5 million fine that Ofcom has collected will now be passed on to HM Treasury.

• By Rich Woods
      Microsoft's Surface Duo is coming to the UK, France, Germany, and Canada next week
      by Rich Woods

Back in December, Microsoft announced that after four months on the U.S. market, it was finally going to bring its Surface Duo handset to other markets in early 2021. Now, pricing and availability is here, and the dual-screen device is coming to the UK, France, Germany, and Canada on February 18. To be clear, those were the four markets that were announced in December, so if you're in another region in Europe, it's unclear when you'll be able to get your hands on this.

In France and Germany, the price of the 128GB model is €1,549, while it's going to be £1,349 in the UK. For comparison, the Surface Duo starts at $1,399 here in the United States, although it's currently on sale for as low as $949. The 256GB model costs $100 more, and that's it's a similar model for other countries; for example, it's €1,649 in France and Germany.

The Surface Duo was originally announced back in October 2019, heralding Microsoft's return to the smartphone business. The company doesn't often actually call it a phone, but it was introduced to the world in a promo video where the device was revealed by it ringing from inside of a bag, and yes, the user answering a phone call. It wasn't supposed to arrive until holiday season 2020, and it was going to arrive alongside the Surface Neo.

But things changed. The Surface Neo was delayed, as was the Windows 10X operating system, and Surface Duo shipped early.

It comes with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 855, which was the company's flagship chipset two generations ago now, and as has been widely criticized, it's a 4G phone. It also comes with an 11MP f/2.0 camera and 6GB of RAM. As for the two displays, which is really the selling point, it has dual 5.6-inch 1800x1350 screens, which are 4:3. They combine for an 8.1-inch 2700x1800 display, and of course, the device has Surface Pen support.

You can check out the Surface Duo on the UK Microsoft Store here, for France here, Germany here, and Canada here.