Strange artifacts

Hi!

This thing is killing me! Help!!!

These artifacts start to appear after opening a web browser (ie, chrome or firefox), but everything is ok when I don't open any of them. Memtest passed, gpu test (occt) passed.

Intel x4500, intel p8600

post-260690-0-50339900-1363903168.jpg

Image is dead, I know Chrome and FF have corruption with the latest AMD drivers and 7xxx series cards, disabling azure and / or direct2d in FF fixes it

EDIT - Ok can see the image now, are you running a custom theme? Patched theme files ?

I installed win7 and the artifacts started to appear again after a few minutes. Is there a way to test the gpu for problems?

I installed win7 and the artifacts started to appear again after a few minutes. Is there a way to test the gpu for problems?

I don't know of any specific test for GPUs like we have for say RAM with memtest86+, but a common problem with VRAM on the GPU is artifacts, but what your screenshot shows looks more like a software/driver problem to me, its in very specific places, vs random spots for dying GPUs

You could run some stress tests like Kombuster and see what happens during those tests

http://www.ozone3d.net/msi_kombustor/

Kombuster runs without any artifacts... this is strange :D I give up... What the hell is the problem? :D

I think it can't be a VRAM problem as intel x4500 chops of memory from my RAM

Heh I thought the title meant Hum was going on about aliens again ;)

Agreed, the GPU is causing the gfx corruption usually because of overheating, that's why you see it after a few minutes. It's possible that heatsinks/fans on the motherboard aren't working effectively but usually this usually turns fatal (Same issue as my Dell laptop that eventually wouldn't boot).

From what i know, hardware problems are not present in screen captures. This seams to be some software related issue, drivers maybe ? Overheating ?

Kombuster runs without any artifacts... this is strange :D I give up... What the hell is the problem? :D

Im leaning towards a software issue 90%, if the GPU was dying from anything, then Kombuster or similar should show its weaknesses.

Are you using the same driver for 8 and 7 ? Have you tried older drivers?

The corruption is in certain places, and the buttons on windows are clickable, they change with interaction.... did it just start recently or did you change / install something ?

From what i know, hardware problems are not present in screen captures. This seams to be some software related issue, drivers maybe ? Overheating ?

Overheating won't show up in a screenshot.

OP, try turning Windows performance settings to "best performance" (settings search + type performance)

GPU hardware issues / corruption will appear in screenshots, anything from the display cable up to the monitor will not.

• Like 2

GPU hardware issues / corruption will appear in screenshots, anything from the display cable up to the monitor will not.

Yeah, it seams so, thanks for the heads up !

If it appears after some time...smells like something getting hot !

Yeah, it seams so, thanks for the heads up !

If it appears after some time, it may be overheating....

Its possible, but running Kombuster would force the card to overheat and the problem would occur during stress tests, everything is fine under load so I am doubting an overheating issue

The buttons are clickable and I think, this is definitely some driver issue as killing dwm fixes the problem for a few minutes. I did not install anything new recently, this started a few hours ago.

What I am about to say might be stupid, but might be not: Doesnt video cards use different hardware sectors for 3D and 2D tasks? Maybe it's the 2D hardware that's faulty.

What I am about to say might be stupid, but might be not: Doesnt video cards use different hardware sectors for 3D and 2D tasks? Maybe it's the 2D hardware that's faulty.

They use different clock speeds, and browsers use certain features for 2D, so not a stupid comment at all

Thanks. I wasnt really sure. I know old videocards like Matrox, Gforce 2 and the Voodoos did something like that. Just wasnt sure modern cards did the same.

Thanks. I wasnt really sure. I know old videocards like Matrox, Gforce 2 and the Voodoos did something like that. Just wasnt sure modern cards did the same.

Not all that long ago I remember firefox causing problems for 3D gaming if it was left open when you were playing, because it wanted 2D features and the game wanted 3D, it really messed up the performance of the card, took ages to work out it was firefox, sometimes I still close FF before starting to play out of habit from that bug

I thought about this 2D possibility too. I could use the computer for almost 30 minutes without seeing any of these, but after opening the browser they started to appear. Could the 2D hardware acceleration trigger the issue and spread it all over the window manager? I think, this can't be a hardware problem as the squares and lines always show up at some specific places like window borders or the edge of the screen. They also distort images and texts, but tend to leave empty white spaces between icons unchanged.

And by the way, I cannot replicate this issue in safe mode. I will reboot and turn off hardware acceleration in ie and we'll see what happens.

I thought about this 2D possibility too. I could use the computer for almost 30 minutes without seeing any of these, but after opening the browser they started to appear. Could the 2D hardware acceleration trigger the issue and spread it all over the window manager? I think, this can't be a hardware problem as the squares and lines always show up at some specific places like window borders or the edge of the screen. They also distort images and texts, but tend to leave empty white spaces between icons unchanged.

And by the way, I cannot replicate this issue in safe mode. I will reboot and turn off hardware acceleration in ie and we'll see what happens.

If its not happening in safe mode then that points more towards a driver problem, but doesn't 100% rule out other things as no driver will stop the card from using its full potential

Did you say you have tried different drivers ?

I did not try any other drivers yet. Intel decided to stop supporting X4500 GPU and the only driver available for win8 is the one that is installed by default.