Can you have 2x PCs setup as servers just replicationg files between eachot

Hi All

I am a complete n00b when it comes to how servers work, I can build them, but i am much better at hardware/software with PCs (Desktop Support Officer as trade)

Our setup now is my laptop and my partners laptops both link to a "file server" (PC running Windows Home Server 2011) via shared drives/permissions etc....these are backed up each night via USB disk but i have noticed after a Windows update something caused the backup to fail a week ago (i dont check each day) so this has got my a bit worried...So i do have the hardware/software to do this...its just is it possible....which is where my question comes in...

My question is, for security/safety of documents, can 2 PCs be setup running, either Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows Home Server 2011 and basically replicate the files I want it to ...

including irreplaceable photos, my documents, my partners documents, our daughters life in photos/videos up to now etc....so basically our digital lives, also my parents digital lives who are now no longer with us (ergo irreplaceable)

I do back them up by USB drive, but I have a spare PC and a spare File Server license so i was wondering if this was possible, if so, could anybody give me any pointers? I know its a major ask, but any info would be greatly appreaciated :)

I realise this is more than OTT but with the photos i could loose/memories of my dad, I need something to put my mind at ease with this...

Thanks in advance

:) :)

1. Fix the backup. This is not a replacement for a backup... A virus/worm will come along and wipe both of them because they are both online on the same network.

2. Windows Offline files should do the trick.

A mirrored RAID would provide a similar setup to having 2 PCs, without the added cost. But the best method is simply to fix the backup so that it works reliably (And maybe on something better than a USB drive).

First things first, if you haven't already. Make a backup of your files to DVD, put them in a folder, take them to a family/or friends house and ask to store them there. Offer to do the same with their collection if they have one.

Off line, off site backups are your best bet.

You might want to consider sync with skydrive or other cloud based storage too.

As for replicating across servers, that is more then possible.

I'm assuming you want this http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/windows/desktop/bb540026(v=vs.85).aspx

but be aware if windows isn't making the backups in the first place, you're going to have nothing to replicate and at worse, you're going to be simply replicating broken stuff.

Fix your backup software after you've made your DVDs.

A mirrored RAID would provide a similar setup to having 2 PCs, without the added cost. But the best method is simply to fix the backup so that it works reliably (And maybe on something better than a USB drive).

how? corruption occurs on one, corruption occurs on both....files get accidentally deleted on one, files get accidentally deleted on both. all any raid does is protect against a physical hard drive fault, unless it is raid 0. Raid 1 protects against 1 drive dying but the system may fault. Raid 5 protects against 1 harddrive dying but allows the system continue to run. Raid 6 allows for 2 hard drives to fail while allowing the system to run. Then there is 1+0 (or 10), raid 5+0 (or 50), raid 6+0 (or 60) and raid 1+0+0 (or 100) each allowing for increased speed and/or increased drive failure at the cost of more drives.

RAID is not like having 2 pcs where one is copying to the other. Having 2 pcs backup to each other can protect against accidental damage as all you are doing is copying from one to the other. If you delete on one, chances are you aren't going to accidentally delete on the other....unless you really don't want that data or you are not paying attention. With RAID in a single system you delete on one, it is gone on all.

Also while shadow copy is great, it is easily corruptible. It is not recommended to use this as your sole backup.

In server 2008 you can use DFS to replicate folders between two servers, however this does replicate constantly so if you delete something even by accident you can't get it back

You could also enable Volume shadow copies and set a retention value however, this will then allow you to right click on a folder and choose properties and then use the "Previous versions" tab to restore the damage/deleted/missing files/folders

This on its own however doesn't protect you from a failed HDD

You still need a backup solution that works though to give you some sort of "offsite" redundancy should some physical destruction happen (fire/theft/flood/etc)

how? corruption occurs on one, corruption occurs on both....files get accidentally deleted on one, files get accidentally deleted on both. all any raid does is protect against a physical hard drive fault, unless it is raid 0. Raid 1 protects against 1 drive dying but the system may fault. Raid 5 protects against 1 harddrive dying but allows the system continue to run. Raid 6 allows for 2 hard drives to fail while allowing the system to run. Then there is 1+0 (or 10), raid 5+0 (or 50), raid 6+0 (or 60) and raid 1+0+0 (or 100) each allowing for increased speed and/or increased drive failure at the cost of more drives.

RAID is not like having 2 pcs where one is copying to the other. Having 2 pcs backup to each other can protect against accidental damage as all you are doing is copying from one to the other. If you delete on one, chances are you aren't going to accidentally delete on the other....unless you really don't want that data or you are not paying attention. With RAID in a single system you delete on one, it is gone on all.

Also while shadow copy is great, it is easily corruptible. It is not recommended to use this as your sole backup.

I was assuming he'd be having one server replicate the files from the main server, which wouldn't stop corruption, etc. If the files are just being copied twice then just make the second copy to the current USB drive and that's it.

How much data are we talking about? Dropbox is excellent for this, with the added benefit of off-site cloud storage, revision restore, and undelete. (Add the pack-rat option) but it's going to cost, 100GB is $9.99 a month

How much data are we talking about? Dropbox is excellent for this, with the added benefit of off-site cloud storage, revision restore, and undelete. (Add the pack-rat option) but it's going to cost, 100GB is $9.99 a month

This is probably the easiest way to do it without another 3rd party app to sync the files, and you get all the extra features.

But don't forget to fix the backup.

Thread hacking:

That's too much for me :( I'd rather buy a 2tb HD ( 9.99x12) or two. And I don't always have always on internet, lame upload speeds :( meh...