Roland Emmerich Reveals New Details For "Independence Day" Sequel

7lj0.jpg

A sequel to 1996's blockbuster sci-fi film Independence Day has been in development for years, with the possibility of two to form a trilogy. Last year, it was revealed that there will be a two-part follow-up to the original film, with the working titles ID Forever Part 1 and ID Forever Part 2 being planned. Now, speaking with Entertainment Weekly, director Roland Emmerich confirms that he is is developing the two sequels, which were written by him and Dean Devlin. White House Down and The Amazing Spider-Man scribe James Vanderbilt is rewriting. The movies will take place 20 years after the first film, " when a distress call sent by the first wave of aliens finally brings reinforcements to Earth." "The humans knew that one day the aliens would come back," says Emmerich. "And they know that the only way you can really travel in space is through wormholes. So for the aliens, it could take two or three weeks, but for us that?s 20 or 25 years." He also says that the world of ID Forever will be changed, and he is working with an art department staff to shape its look. It?s a changed world. It?s like parallel history. [Humans] have harnessed all this alien technology. We don?t know how to duplicate it because it?s organically-grown technology, but we know how to take an antigravity device and put it in a human airplane."

One question on everyone's mind is, will we see Will Smith return? While some familiar faces will return (including Bill Pullman), Smith hasn't committed to the sequels. The storylines will focus on a new generation of human heroes, which include Steven Hiller's (Smith) stepson, who was played by Ross Bagley in the first Independence Day. "It?s still some of the same characters, but also new younger characters; it?s a little bit like the sons take over," says Emmerich. Part 1 sequel will feature a cliffhanger ending, in order to have audiences return. "The first one ends on a little success, but only enough to give the humans hope. And then in the second one they free themselves again [from the aliens]." Finally, Emmerich says that the aliens will "do different things", and "we've rebuilt" when asked what's left for aliens to destroy.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/BatFreak/news/?a=76478

I am one of the few who loved Independence Day. I am really looking forward to the sequels. I really hope Will Smith returns, though. It won't be the same without him.

• Like 2

Umm someone should explain to him the difference between wormhole travel and near light speed/light speed relativistic travel.

Cause with wormholes the general idea is that time passes the same for both the traveller and the ... Well other people :)

Unless the wormhole were somehow undetected and right next door to the Sol system the aliens would still have to travel at high sub-light speeds to get from it to us in 2 weeks of their time, so a time dilation would still be in play.

I am one of the few who loved Independence Day. I am really looking forward to the sequels. I really hope Will Smith returns, though. It won't be the same without him.

IMO, It's one of Will Smith's best films (along with I Am Legend). Definitely won't be the same without him :(

IMO, It's one of Will Smith's best films (along with I Am Legend). Definitely won't be the same without him :(

Probably play a cameo if anything.

Wasn't this canceled some time ago not weeks just months back and now they bringing it back again.. i for one would love another ID4 because it was for me an awesome films which of when it was released i was 12 and it was rated 12!

Hopefully they can make the cgi as good as the first film. Today's CGI is top notch for certain films so ID4 forever 1 and 2 should be real received.

Wasn't this canceled some time ago not weeks just months back and now they bringing it back again.. i for one would love another ID4 because it was for me an awesome films which of when it was released i was 12 and it was rated 12!

Hopefully they can make the cgi as good as the first film. Today's CGI is top notch for certain films so ID4 forever 1 and 2 should be real received.

I don't believe so, he's been busy with other projects and has been waiting for the right story for a sequel.