Haha, well the beta ran around 50ish FPS, but thats beta, not sure that will be what it does in the final version. I just have money burning a whole in my pocket.

That was an issue for everyone regardless of GPU power, I've heard of people with Titans in SLI that still only got about 50fps (which I can get on my GTX 460), its just a beta issue, they've said in the change log they're aware of the fps issues people were having and it'll be fixed for final.

I'd wait til you see what Mantle can do with it, personally.

Mantle only works with ati radeon GPU's not with nvidias so it wont matter. Unless he switches to radeon's.

Instead of getting dual 780's you could wait for a few months and get nvidias next gen of cards

Mantle only works with ati radeon GPU's not with nvidias so it wont matter. Unless he switches to radeon's.

Instead of getting dual 780's you could wait for a few months and get nvidias next gen of cards

As I remember, when Mantle was announced at the Hawaii GPU 14 event; it was announced as open API. So there's a chance that Nvidia and Intel going to use it, if they wanted.

As I remember, when Mantle was announced at the Hawaii GPU 14 event; it was announced as open API. So there's a chance that Nvidia and Intel going to use it, if they wanted.

yeah they can use it if they want instead of there cuda thing but will nvidia cave in to saying something made by there direct competitor is better than what they can produce in there gfx cards

yeah they can use it if they want instead of there cuda thing but will nvidia cave in to saying something made by there direct competitor is better than what they can produce in there gfx cards

CUDA and Mantle are two different things. So far, Nvidia doesn't have anything like Mantle.

And they have the choice to use it. It's not that Mantle is only for AMD GPUs like you said.

What would you say I need to upgrade the most to get the best out of BF4? Graphics card or CPU?

Current spec is:

Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz
AMD Radeon HD 7850 XFX 2GB DD Black Edition
Kingston 16 GB DDR3 1600MHz

I am guessing 1920x1080 will give me low frame rates, so wonder what I can expect to run at to make it look pretty and have a solid frame rate?

CUDA and Mantle are two different things. So far, Nvidia doesn't have anything like Mantle.

And they have the choice to use it. It's not that Mantle is only for AMD GPUs like you said.

yah i know cuda is different its there version of the stream processor thing but still will they want to say our competitor built a better way to leverage gpu performance than us? although then again they could use it at there advantage and get better results than amd cards. so who knows

What would you say I need to upgrade the most to get the best out of BF4? Graphics card or CPU?

Current spec is:

AMD Radeon HD 7850 XFX DD Black Edition

I am guessing 1920x1080 will give me low frame rates, so wonder what I can expect to run at to make it look pretty and have a solid frame rate?

well in the multiplayer beta i was getting average 46fps on high settings with i7 950, 12GB ram and 1GB 6870 using 13.4 catalyst so not even using the latest drivers. Also using win 8 will help alot as MS built in improvements to the dx11 api for bf4 / frostbite 3 in win 8

not sure what a 7850 would give you performance wise but you'd be able to use ultra settings, just what lvl of AA you can run at would be the question, although dont quote me on that, maybe not at ultra i dont know haha. 7950's are coming down in price atm so maybe hold off for a cheap 7970  if one comes about. or just see what it runs at when released

Aah great - cheers :)

I'm using Windows 8 / 8.1 too. BF3 was a bit intensive so was figuring BF4 would cripple it too!

Current spec is:

Your CPU is fine, If it were me, I'd wait till it actually releases, if your frame rates are a bit low or you can't get your settings up to high/ultra then upgrade the GPU, if your happy with frame rate and settings with your current card then look at an SSD (if you've not already got one)

Your CPU is fine, If it were me, I'd wait till it actually releases, if your frame rates are a bit low or you can't get your settings up to high/ultra then upgrade the GPU, if your happy with frame rate and settings with your current card then look at an SSD (if you've not already got one)

Cheers - wasn't sure if my CPU was the bottle neck, or the GPU.

I have an SSD - although only Windows and apps is running off of it.

I have /Users located on a normal 7200rpm drive as well as my games.

Cheers - wasn't sure if my CPU was the bottle neck, or the GPU.

I have an SSD - although only Windows and apps is running off of it.

I have /Users located on a normal 7200rpm drive as well as my games.

Yeah almost certainly the GPU, I've got an i7 860 (1st gen) @ 2.8GHz so your CPU is a lot better than mine and I was hitting max 60% CPU usage.

Getting the games on an SSD won't improve frame rate much if at all, where that will make a difference is map load times.

So yeh GPU upgrade for FPS, new SSD op put a select game or 2 (BF4) on the SSD you have for load times.

Yeah almost certainly the GPU, I've got an i7 860 (1st gen) @ 2.8GHz so your CPU is a lot better than mine and I was hitting max 60% CPU usage.

Getting the games on an SSD won't improve frame rate much if at all, where that will make a difference is map load times.

So yeh GPU upgrade for FPS, new SSD op put a select game or 2 (BF4) on the SSD you have for load times.

Kind of pointless spending an extra ?100 on an SSD just to lower a map load time by like 10 seconds, youll be playing most conquest maps for like 25-30 minutes so its a non issue really

I'd love it, if DICE added an option to just install the MP portion of the game separately. If such option was available, I'd install the game on my SSD where Windows is installed with the applications.

Have only 15gb free on it and I don't intend to play the SP of BF4 (skipped it completely in BF3).

Current spec is:

Definitely your graphics card. Your CPU should be OK, as long the final is optimized better. 

Definitely that card will be bottlenecking over the CPU in all current games. Its a pretty good card, but if you want to increase performance it's your best bet to swap. 

A gtx 760 will give you better performance, newer architecture, use less power and generate less heat.

Or a 770/780 depending on what you want to spend.

Seriously?  All I've ever had to do was plug them in.  I've already had as much trouble with NVs drivers, after I went from a 6870 to a 660 just now.

Yup seriously lol. I just had a bad time with them so i prefer to stay away, just like I dont eat at Alamo Cafe here in san antonio cause their fajitas gave me the squits ONE time lol.

How on earth are they a "hassle to install"? Installing an AMD card and AMD drivers is no harder than Nvidia...

Well I never liked their interface really, and im talking more about at my job on dell workstations for users who need multiple monitors, the lower end cards are horrible and the drivers for them are too cumbersom for the average user to do anything with. Im not knocking them like they suck, each vendor has their perks but i just prefer NV. 

I bit the bullet and bought the system lol. GF said to do it since i was just staring at newegg all day lol. Also yesterday i when i looked the 256GB 840 pro SSD's were 219, not they went up to 249 on newegg....luckily amazon they were 214 ^_^. Now i can use my second system as my streaming system or my dev box. So excited!!!! Also i got 2 Batman Arkham Origins if anyone wants them

Yup seriously lol. I just had a bad time with them so i prefer to stay away, just like I dont eat at Alamo Cafe here in san antonio cause their fajitas gave me the squits ONE time lol.

Well I never liked their interface really, and im talking more about at my job on dell workstations for users who need multiple monitors, the lower end cards are horrible and the drivers for them are too cumbersom for the average user to do anything with. Im not knocking them like they suck, each vendor has their perks but i just prefer NV.

I bit the bullet and bought the system lol. GF said to do it since i was just staring at newegg all day lol. Also yesterday i when i looked the 256GB 840 pro SSD's were 219, not they went up to 249 on newegg....luckily amazon they were 214 ^_^. Now i can use my second system as my streaming system or my dev box. So excited!!!! Also i got 2 Batman Arkham Origins if anyone wants them

I'd be so interested in grabbing an Arkham Origins off your hands :P

Well seeing as they come with my video cards and I'm going to have to return them i dont think ill have them. Gotta wait and see how that works, since Nvidia just announced their 780ti card lol. FML!!

Hey everyone, Just thought I'd see who all is going to be on the PC version. I have the week off work to play so I was wondering if anyone wanted to squad up and get some kills. My name is saGot3n, look me up, should be on all week ^_^.

Hey everyone, Just thought I'd see who all is going to be on the PC version. I have the week off work to play so I was wondering if anyone wanted to squad up and get some kills. My name is saGot3n, look me up, should be on all week ^_^.

SavagePaladin here.  I'll be in as soon as I can.  Won't mind adding people for longer this time but I'm still not terribly social so I dunno how that'll go :shiftyninja:

Added :)

Pre-ordered through SimplyCDKeys - hope they give out keys before so I can pre-load it! :)

Waiting for Batman: Origins to unlock! :D

omg im off next friday when i should receive my game from zavvi... 1st november. Its going to be a good day :D unless its delayed in the post then ill be :(

oh anyone know when the 290 is out??? (thats the 290 not 290x btw)

If you're outside of USA and want to start the pre-load now, you can use vpn before opening Origin to start the pre-load and then disconnecting from the vpn to download at your download speed without the limitation of the vpn. But don't restart Origin during the pre-load, or it will say download failed and you'll have to start Origin again with the vpn connected.

Used openvpn.net (it's free) to start the pre-load and had no issues.