LG Optimus Pro or Galaxy Note 2?

Hello everyone,

I am trying to decide between LG Optimus Pro and the Galaxy Note 2.

I have been reading reviews and watching youTube videos and they both seem very very nice.

I am leaning towards the LG as it seems to have better specs but that S-PEN seems like a really nice add-on to the Galaxy Note II.

Which one would you choose?

The phone must come with removable battery and expandable storage. No exceptions and both of these have that (as far as I am aware).

I am an Android user and this will be my third Android phone.

Thanks

Me, personally, from the two, Optimus Pro

LG Optimus G Pro over Samsung Galaxy Note II

• Higher resolution 1080p display, higher pixel density
  • Smaller footprint and a tad lighter body
  • 13MP camera with HDR support
  • Faster CPU (1.7GHz Krait 300 vs. 1.6GHz Cortex A9) and Faster GPU (Adreno 320 vs Mali-400)
  • True Full HD IPS LCD has more accurate colors than Super AMOLED
  • Built-in IR sensor for advanced remote-control functionality (if you care for that)

Samsung Galaxy Note II over LG Optimus G Pro

• AMOLED screen with superior contrast
  • Readily available in stores
  • Cheaper
  • Gorilla Glass 2-protected screen
  • S Pen and Wacom digitizer

Only thing really, in the favor of Note II is the S Pen. If that is not necessary, I'd say Optimus Pro is better

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

I am trying to decide between LG Optimus Pro and the Galaxy Note 2.

I have been reading reviews and watching youTube videos and they both seem very very nice.

I am leaning towards the LG as it seems to have better specs but that S-PEN seems like a really nice add-on to the Galaxy Note II.

Which one would you choose?

The phone must come with removable battery and expandable storage. No exceptions and both of these have that (as far as I am aware).

I am an Android user and this will be my third Android phone.

Thanks

For software updates or customer support, never trust LG.

Why not take the HTC One? Just suggesting...

For software updates or customer support, never trust LG.

Why not take the HTC One? Just suggesting...

software update != HTC

Samsung have REALLY dragged their heels on software updates for the Note 2!

Samsung can be counted the best among all OEMs in updates.
  • Samsung Galaxy S3 is the first to get 4.1 excluding customs roms and Nexus devices. Faster than HTC One X....
  • The S3 is released a month earlier than the LG Optimus 4X HD but 4x HD is still at ICS while S3 is at 4.1.2 (4.2 if including leaks on XDA forums)
  • Samsung Galaxy S3 got some of the Note 2's extra features such as multiwindow smart rotation, paper camera and etc in the 4.1.2 update which is nice.
  • Note 1 and S2 got updates to pretty much same UI to the Touchwiz on S3 and Note 2 which is nice that they made an effort to bring new stuffs to older devices.
  • Recent leak or rumors on Sammobile says that the S3 and Note 2 confirms to have Android 5.0 in the future.

However, Exynos processor aren't so supported by CM team due to leaks of documentation and sources. So AOSP roms won't be very stable....

software update != HTC

Still better than LG... Heard a lot nightmares about their support...

software update != HTC

Aside from my Galaxy Nexus (which in it's own is butchered thanks to Verizon), HTC/Verizon was awesome at updating the Droid Incredible. It started on Eclair, then got upgraded to Froyo then ended up on Gingerbread, and received some minor updates in between.

Get the Note 2. The phone is amazing with superb battery life, screen quality and features. Thus the S-Pen may not be useful on a daily basis, but you can use it to hover over webpages sometimes and for precision with the cursor. It's nice. :D

I wouldn't get the Galaxy Note unless you plan on putting a custom rom on it.. TouchWiz is so bloated and gross (IMO).. The LG phone is speced out great.. When I had my Note.. I only used the S-Pen to play Draw With Me with my wife..

Bloat to people might have different meaning. For me, Touchwiz has unnecessary features like S-voice (come on Google Now is far superior), S-Health, S-Band, etc. The only actual useful feature of Touchwiz is S-Pen. Everything else is bloat, and Samsung is branding their own features. Sure, 2 GB of RAM is plenty to power all these features, but that's not the point...But there are custom ROM's, so I'm a happy camper (if I ever bought a non-Nexus Samsung)

Bloat to people might have different meaning. For me, Touchwiz has unnecessary features like S-voice (come on Google Now is far superior), S-Health, S-Band, etc. The only actual useful feature of Touchwiz is S-Pen. Everything else is bloat, and Samsung is branding their own features. Sure, 2 GB of RAM is plenty to power all these features, but that's not the point...But there are custom ROM's, so I'm a happy camper (if I ever bought a non-Nexus Samsung)

I would have to say I 100% agree with this..

I want 4.2.2 first!

For Galaxy S3 I9300, they do have a 4.2.1 leak. Not 4.2.2 :/

Anyway I also heard Samsung is going to skip 4.2.1 to 4.2.2

I am hoping they throw in some of the S4 stuffs onto that 4.2.2 update.

I wouldn't get the Galaxy Note unless you plan on putting a custom rom on it.. TouchWiz is so bloated and gross (IMO).. The LG phone is speced out great.. When I had my Note.. I only used the S-Pen to play Draw With Me with my wife..

Having the TouchWiz or Sense is an advantage still. For people on like Nexus 4, if they want, they cannot have it.

For Touchwiz or Sense users, if they want the AOSP looks, they can just flash CM or AOKP...

Having the TouchWiz or Sense is an advantage still. For people on like Nexus 4, if they want, they cannot have it.

Some people might like it, some people don't like it, some people hate it.. I don't like it and think it is bloat as well as a lot of others. I stated an option..

This kind of "bloat" you're referring to can be uninstalled or disabled with no need to root. What should be considered actual bloat are things that you cannot uninstall or disable. If you don"t like all the "bloat" or uninstalling it, then you should get a Nexus in the first place: it is pretty flat.

LMAO

My option is not outdated.. get over yourself. I simply stated that TouchWiz is bloat.. HELL even one of the CM guys just quit Samsung because of Touchwiz.. It is just my option.. Don't attack people on a personal level.

look at the post by nik louch.. that was a mature reply. not yours.

I would have to say I 100% agree with this..

You mad? Where is the personal attack here sir? I'm referring to your opinion, unless you're made of opinions?

HELL even one of the CM guys just quit Samsung because of Touchwiz..

Can I just note... He left AND commented that TouchWiz needed to be looked at, not sure that he left BECAUSE of TouchWiz. Though it is kinda implied...

I like my S3 very much, but my gf's optimus G seems like in general is a higher quality product, and the screen seems to be more power efficient. I however like to run custon roms/kernels, but imo the stock lg rom is quite nice from what I've seen. I would probably choose the Optimus Pro if it had build quality similar to the optimus g

This kind of "bloat" you're referring to can be uninstalled or disabled with no need to root. What should be considered actual bloat are things that you cannot uninstall or disable. If you don"t like all the "bloat" or uninstalling it, then you should get a Nexus in the first place: it is pretty flat.

You mad? Where is the personal attack here sir? I'm referring to your opinion, unless you're made of opinions?

Not mad at all.. Just was hoping you could give a mature and thought our reply instead of just saying "your opinion are outdated"..

Not mad at all.. Just was hoping you could give a mature and thought our reply instead of just saying "your opinion are outdated"..

Fair enough. ;)

If you can disable most of Touchwiz and just keep the launcher, that would be great. However, now you may run into stability issues. I'd say either someone really wants Touchwiz, or not. If you don't, then custom ROM's are a must. Exactly the reason why I have a Nexus...no bloat period. The hardware is running exaclty the software I want.

I hate to derail this thread, no one here is wrong, we just have different opinions/needs. OP, both seem like good phones. Personally, of the 2 phones you listed, I'd go with the Note 2.

Exactly the reason why I have a Nexus...no bloat period.

My Nexus 4 is "Out for delivery".. I am beyond excited =)

YYYESSS! lol

If you can disable most of Touchwiz and just keep the launcher, that would be great. However, now you may run into stability issues. I'd say either someone really wants Touchwiz, or not. If you don't, then custom ROM's are a must. Exactly the reason why I have a Nexus...no bloat period. The hardware is running exaclty the software I want.

I hate to derail this thread, no one here is wrong, we just have different opinions/needs. OP, both seem like good phones. Personally, of the 2 phones you listed, I'd go with the Note 2.

Actually you can't disable Touchwiz on Samsung's ROMs, but that's not necessary anymore, because it has improved A LOT compared to earlier versions, now on Android 4.1.2. All apps run VERY smoothly and I had no FCs or lags, ever... That was not true on Andoird 4.0.4... Samsung did a great job starting with the S3 and Note 2. I don't feel the need to run CyanogenMod anymore, because otherwise I would exchange a very polished ROM by a custom AOSP ROM lacking a ton of features that are intrinsically related to TW.

Unless you think Touchwiz is unbearably ugly compared to stock Android, which I have to agree. :/ But anyway, I can live with that for having a phone running smoothly and full of stock features.

There is also Wanam on XDA, which uses Samsungs stock ROMs but a lot more optimized... There are updates from Samsung and better kernels almost every week... My Note 2 can run for 2 FULL DAYS of medium to heavy use on one single charge... That's amazing. I never, ever used the extra battery I got.