Netflix Greenlights New Science Fiction Series "Sense8"

Netflix has green-lit a new science fiction series titled Sense8 from Babylon 5 creator J. Michael Straczynski and the Wachowskis (The Matrix). The series has been given an order for 10 episodes and is set to air on the streaming servince in late 2014. Sense8 joins a rapidly growing line up of original series at Netflix which also includes House of Cards, Orange Is The New Black and Hemlock Grove.

Sense8 has been described as ?a gripping global tale of minds linked and souls hunted? and is being produced by Georgeville Television and Straczynski?s recently launched shingle Studio JMS. The series marks the first foray into television by the Wachowskis (best known for their work on The Matrix film series) and is the first TV series to be produced by Straczynski?s production company. Georgeville?s Marc Rosen, Leon Clarance, and Deepak Nayar will serve as executive producers

?Andy and Lana Wachowski and Joe Straczynski are among the most imaginative writers and gifted visual storytellers of our time,? said Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos. ?Their incredible creations are favorites of Netflix members globally and we can?t wait to bring Sense8 to life.?

Andy and Lana Wachowski commented: ?We?re excited to work with Netflix and Georgeville Television on this project, and we?ve wanted to work with Joe Straczynski for years, chiefly due to the fact his name is harder to pronounce than ours, but also because we share a love of genre and all things nerdy. Several years ago, we had a late night conversation about the ways technology simultaneously unites and divides us, and out of that paradox Sense8 was born.?

While J. Michael Straczynski added: ?We are proud to be working with Netflix on this new series,? said Straczynski. ?Lana, Andy, and I are fans of each other?s creations, and have been looking for something to do together for nearly a decade.?

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2013/03/netflix-greenlights-new-science-fiction-series-sense8-from-babylon-5-creator-jms/

House of cards was excellent so I'm very excited to see all the other stuff netflix is coming up with, this original content has given me a real reason to keep my netflix subscription.

• 9 months later...

TV Line has posted new character and story details from the project today. The globe-spanning premise sees eight people linked together by a violent vision, at the same time a mysterious figure is trying to bring the group together in order to kill them.

Characters in the series include a closeted Mexican telenovela hunk, an Icelandic party girl, a German safe-cracker, a Korean businesswoman, an African bus driver, a transgender American blogger, an African-American man with special abilities, and the show's antagonist - a man known only as 'Mr. Whispers'.

Production of the ten episode series is slated to begin in June, each episode centering on a separate tale. Locations include Seoul, Mumbai, Nairobi, Berlin, Mexico City, San Francisco, Chicago, and the UK. A late 2014 premiere is expected.

x

• 5 months later...

271506703967203632133355.png

Netflix has announced the cast for "Sense8," a gripping global tale of minds linked and souls hunted. The 10-episode season one of "Sense8" marks the first foray into television by the Wachowskis, the filmmakers behind "The Matrix" trilogy and the upcoming Jupiter Ascending, and is the latest project from veteran show runner J. Michael Straczynski ("Babylon 5").

The cast will include Naveen Andrews ("LOST"), Daryl Hannah, Brian J. Smith ("Stargate Universe"), Tuppence Middleton (Jupiter Ascending), Aml Ameen, Freema Agyeman, Tena Desae, Doona Bae, Max Riemelt, Alfonso Herrera, Erendira Ibarra, Jamie Clayton, Miguel Silvestri and Terrence Mann.

"The series follows eight characters around the world who, in the aftermath of a tragic death, find themselves linked to each other mentally and emotionally," said Straczynski. "They can not only see and talk to each other as though they were in the same place, they have access to each other's deepest secrets. Not only must they figure out what happened and why and what it means for the future of humanity, they must do so while being hunted by an organization out to capture, kill or vivisect them."

"Sense8" is being produced by Georgeville Television, in association with Studio JMS.

Source

271506703967203632133355.png

Netflix has announced the cast for "Sense8," a gripping global tale of minds linked and souls hunted. The 10-episode season one of "Sense8" marks the first foray into television by the Wachowskis, the filmmakers behind "The Matrix" trilogy and the upcoming Jupiter Ascending, and is the latest project from veteran show runner J. Michael Straczynski ("Babylon 5").

The cast will include Naveen Andrews ("LOST"), Daryl Hannah, Brian J. Smith ("Stargate Universe"), Tuppence Middleton (Jupiter Ascending), Aml Ameen, Freema Agyeman, Tena Desae, Doona Bae, Max Riemelt, Alfonso Herrera, Erendira Ibarra, Jamie Clayton, Miguel Silvestri and Terrence Mann.

"The series follows eight characters around the world who, in the aftermath of a tragic death, find themselves linked to each other mentally and emotionally," said Straczynski. "They can not only see and talk to each other as though they were in the same place, they have access to each other's deepest secrets. Not only must they figure out what happened and why and what it means for the future of humanity, they must do so while being hunted by an organization out to capture, kill or vivisect them."

"Sense8" is being produced by Georgeville Television, in association with Studio JMS.

Source

Cool, that's a nice cast... 

• 10 months later...

This looks cool as. Litterly didn't know this was a thing till two seconds ago. Netflix is on point with what they're creating. In my mind they rule the TV world. 

• Like 2

Looks promising to some degrees, The Wachowskis have really taken a tumble since "The Matrix" trilogy I suppose. But then again, when you set the bar that high early on it's kinda tough to get back to that level afterward (even if people did hate the sequels to The Matrix itself).

If Netflix considered it worthy of banking then I'll definitely give it a look when it's out next month. Daredevil was pretty good as well, not the most mind-blowingly awesome thing I've ever seen but it wasn't flat out stupid like most network shows happen to be either.

We'll see what happens...

I don't think you need to mark a date, Netflix will surely let you know eight ways from Sunday

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Im at episode 4. First 3 episodes are just a big advertisement for gay equality. Seriously, its like 40 mins of gay and lesbian sex, and 20 mins of actual story per episode. 
End of episode 3 is a cracker though. So far though I would rate it as 'okay'. Can definitely say the gay and lesbian story lines really take away the impact of the show.