Alternate OS

I was curious, since Microsoft is getting into sh*t for integrating IE and Messenger into XP, and not allowing Netscape, and AOL to have fair competition, why don't they release a version of Windows XP thats fully integrated with all of MSN's services, and another version with NO other Microsoft integration, just the bare OS, then let consumers decide what they want?

I can't understand why people are so stupid.

MS has all rights to put any product in their OS.

And I (as a customer) would like to have OS with programs like IE, MSN Messenger, Media Player and so on.

And don't want to pay more money for other programs.

And you have to admit that MSNMessenger is better than ICQ or AOL Messenger., that IE is better than Netscape, that Media PLayer is better than Winamp (Winamp has only one advantage- it is the size of a file, but it is not really an advantage)

And some companies don't like MS policies, they must make their own OS.

WinAmp is way better than WMP, i have done the usual "blind audio tests" and winAmp wins by not much, but it's there.

MSNMessenger is actually not bad, sertainly beats the "bloatware" of ICQ, and don't even get me started on AOLIM, it's on my friends Dell w/ ME and I personally think that's one of the problems the computer sucks, maybe also becuase it has Me on it!!!

I'm all for integration and providing the tools within the OS, certainly IE in my opinion has the edge over NS 6.1, but at least there are alternatives.

You now do have an OS with WMP, IE and MSN Messenger all tied together, it's called Windows XP, avilable October 25th for the prices of $99 upwards... he he

Originally posted by brendl

I was curious, since Microsoft is getting into sh*t for integrating IE and Messenger into XP, and not allowing Netscape, and AOL to have fair competition, why don't they release a version of Windows XP thats fully integrated with all of MSN's services, and another version with NO other Microsoft integration, just the bare OS, then let consumers decide what they want?

Because Microsoft is not giving away these applicaitons to give away applications. They are building the framework for web services, including messaging, web browsing and streaming audio and video. There is nothing stopping their competitors from offering the same services.

brendl: I don't think seperating the OS is a good idea. Instead, they could just let the users fully customize what they want or not want :p