PS4 GDC Conference Summary (no pics/vids)

Summary:

PS4's friend list is being expanded

Play Remote Play on Vita through home network or Internet

No support needed from devs for Remote Play besides Vita controller configuration

No support needed from devs for any streaming/uploading of videos

Controllers charge when PS4 off

Controller buttons are digital not analog

Controller keeps copy of user profile

A long push on the controller share button takes a screenshot

Have to enable people seeing your real name on the PS4. Auto-enabled if you import from another social network. (Can be turned off)

Games are downloaded in chunks

Buy games/download demos from Playstation app on Android/iOS, immediately starts downloading on PS4

PS4 Eye can switch split-screen depending on where each player is sitting (Sees the controller, you guys move, splitscreen moves to be on the right side)

PS4 Eye will enhance the PS4 user experience.? High sensitivity dual color cameras ? 1280x800, 12 bits/pixel, 60Hz

Dedicated port for Camera, not using USB

Display true name on profile is optional, will be enabled if profile is imported from a social network, can then be turned off

Platform is 64-bit x86. Dev environment is Win7 64-bit VS2010, LLVM/Clang with C++11 support

new UI Looks a little AppleTV Netflix app with social integration crossed with flipboard

The PS4 will show the player's network at boot by default.

UI is meant to give you at a glance info without loading the game, new DLC, what friends are saying

Touchpad resolution is 1920 x 900

Source: Various twitter accounts

The improved rumble mentioned at the reveal features 1 large motor and 1 small motor 'for cool effects'

The gyro is upgraded over both DS3 & Vita

The top material of the analog sticks has changed

The LED is always-on

The triggers have 'smooth throw and linear output'

Source: http://www.destructo...dc-249816.phtml

Sony didn't allow video or audio so here's a summary of the tweets from people at the conference. I'll post more if we get anything.

sounds more and more like i am going to skip this one, it took me until the first slim PS3 before i bought one of those, and it looks as thought i might do the same for the PS4.

Controller keeps copy of user profile - So always have to use the same controller?

Have to enable people seeing your real name on the PS4. - TERRIBLE idea. Sure it can be turned off but still. :s

Controller keeps copy of user profile - So always have to use the same controller?

Have to enable people seeing your real name on the PS4. - TERRIBLE idea. Sure it can be turned off but still. :s

1. Of course not, it simply means you can make your account portable and take it to friends houses.

2. It reads as you have to enable your name for it to appear, by default it DOESN'T appear.

If I can install windows on that then I may actually buy it to develop things in there... not sony related though.

Repetition but I think this is a more complete list

So, New PS4 infos so i figured a comprehensive thread should be created. The guys at Gaming Everything have compiled a crap ton of infos from GDC from IGN's Gregg.

Link

Info:

• Targeted to be the ?central device in the living room?
  • ?Core gamers are our primary audience
  • PS4 build around them, salable to the outsiders
  • 5 core PS4 principles: Simple, Immediate, Social, Integrated, Personalized
  • PS4 CPU: 64-bit x86 arch, low power consumption, low heat, 8 cores, 8 HW threads, 2MiB L2 cache per 4 core group, 32kib l1 I/D-cache
  • PlayStation Shader Language, very similar to HLSL, allows featured BEYOND Direct X 11 and OpenGL 4.0
  • ?GPU ? Tessellation ? adding geometric detail to smooth edges or create more organic shapes?
  • PS4 RAM ? 8GB 256 bit GDDR5 (GDDR5 is very high end graphics memory only found on PC graphics cards)
  • Will come with ?very large hard drive in every console?
  • PS4 Dev Environment ? Windows 7-bit, tools are fully integrated into Visual Studio 2010 and 2012
  • ?Debug your PS4 code as you would your PC code?
  • PS4 Controller: Start/Select buttons are now ?Options.? New System button is ?Share.?
  • Speaker, headset hack and ?extension port? on the PS4 controller
  • PS4 controller buttons are going back to digital over analog because no one used it on PS3
  • PS4 controller L2/R2 ? Curved design to get rid of the accidental netflix fast forwarding
  • PS4 controller: 1920?900 resolution on the analog touchpad
  • PS4 controller colors are the Player Numbers: 1-Blue, 2-Red, 3-Green, 4-Pink (Like the buttons)
  • PS4 will charge controllers when it?s off. Unlike the PS3.
  • PS4 controller light bar can be used for muzzle flashes, health bars, etc
  • ?The #PS4 Eye will enhance the PS4 user experience.? High sensitivity dual color cameras
  • 1280?800, 12 bits/pixel, 60Hz
  • Dedicated port for the #PS4 camera, exclusive SCE Connector. Means it won?t use a USB port on the console, but won?t plug into your PC.
  • Cam suggested uses: walkthrough vids, taunting in killcam, login, speech recognition, etc; possible PS4 Camera Magic ? Sees the controller, you guys move, splitscreen moves to be on the right side
  • The above is what devs could do (not mandatory)
  • Video example shown of PS4 combining the camera and the controller. ?AR Menu?
  • Zoom into the controller, tilt to shake little dudes inside, push into our world like EyePet
  • 2004: XMB, 2011: LiveArea, 2013: New #PS4 one based on the five principles from earlier
  • UI is meant to give you at a glance info without loading the game. See what new DLC is out and whatnot. What friends are saying.
  • Have to enable people seeing your real name on the #PS4. Auto-enabled if you import from another social network. (Can be turned off)
  • PSN friend limit raised
  • PS4 Mock-up: Heavy Rain choice with the number of your friends that chose each option.
  • All the PS4 streaming and sharing: that?s on the hardware. Devs don?t have to do anything special to their game.
  • PS4 Remote Play: Screens are mirrored on PS4/Vita (Both on at same time). Hardware does it/not on devs. Start at any time; no special mode.
  • Talking about the PlayStation App. Login, buy game, PS4 starts downloading at home, you get home and start playing the part that?s DWLD.

There are a few bits not on there you can get from here

http://www.destructoid.com/ps4-frien...c-249821.phtml

http://www.destructoid.com/ps4-contr...c-249816.phtml

http://www.destructoid.com/ps4-user-...x-249813.phtml

http://www.destructoid.com/ps4-overv...s-249814.phtml

If I can install windows on that then I may actually buy it to develop things in there... not sony related though.

The dev kits are usually a PC with some sort of custom console hardware.

They are also super expensive. The PS3 dev kit was $10k initially.