Google: Open source patent pledge, won't sue 'unless first attacked

No they're not trying to do anything about the patent system, they're just dumping patents they can't fight or defend. it's pure PR.

MS on the other hand have been fighting for a reform of the patent system and is supporting a reform, something google isn't supporting.

Why would others sign up for this. MS already has this same system in practice, except it's way more than 10 patents, and it's actual valid patents.

http://google-opensource.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/taking-stand-on-open-source-and-patents.html

And Google stated it will be adding more patents. And the patents Google currently released are widely used....according to Google but I dont have proof otherwise.

OF course they're widely used, that's the point I made in my first post. They are worthless un-enforceable patents. basically they're toilet paper.

So do tell me what Google has to gain from this and how what Google did is different from what Apple, Microsoft, and many others have done. And Google patent trolls? Last time I checked that was Apple but hey, things change fast I guess. If Google was the only one pulling this kind of stuff, then I would agree 110 percent with you. But this goes beyond Google and to many other companies. Also, last time I checked, it was Samsung that was doing the stealing.

And Google is assuming other will sign up and even if they dont, Google will still keep this pledge. Otherwise, it would just look really bad on them and they really cannot afford the bad press ATM.

And a little more info....

HawkMan and I have already told you what they gain; good publicity. This is all just meaningless PR to make Google look good while they steal other companies' IP. Google doesn't expect anybody to sign up for this and they don't care if it never amounts to anything. It's just a PR exercise to make it appear as if they're doing the right thing. People like you happily spread the word and try to convince everyone else that Google is a great company. Job done.

This is rich coming from Google. They are constant target of Apple and others for using stolen patents. Seems they are trying to worm out of paying for patents they *should* be paying for, good luck with that...

HawkMan and I have already told you what they gain; good publicity.

God forbid a company doesnt do something for good PR while doing something good in the processes. I guess that all the work MS is doing on patent reform is just garbage and all for PR as well to then. Thanks for explaining that to me. Anything a company does good is just for PR. Got it.

And thats all I have to say. Lots of hate/assumption. Moving on.

It's a lot of dirt being thrown at google in this thread but not a lot (or any) evidence to back that up.

I think this is awesome what google is doing. I'm sure it's no perfect company but at least it seems google is trying to do some good.

It's a lot of dirt being thrown at google in this thread but not a lot (or any) evidence to back that up.

Isn't that the way fanboys operate?

God forbid a company doesnt do something for good PR while doing something good in the processes. I guess that all the work MS is doing on patent reform is just garbage and all for PR as well to then. Thanks for explaining that to me. Anything a company does good is just for PR. Got it.

And thats all I have to say. Lots of hate/assumption. Moving on.

If they actually wanted to do something except release a bunch of worthless patents, they could have joined the program MS already has running and has been running for a long time.

You made a similar comment in your first post to this thread.

Stay on topic please or else I will request this topic to be closed. This is not about Google and what they do with their websites. This is about their patents.

Thank You

What? I even quoted the relevant part of OP. They are doing this in the name of openness but in reality they only make their products work in Chrome. How is that off topic?

If they actually wanted to do something except release a bunch of worthless patents, they could have joined the program MS already has running and has been running for a long time.

Google playing together with Microsoft? Haha never. Which is sad though.

Nice gesture Google, now lets hope you make it meaningful :)