OS X 10.9

There really haven't been any annoucements on 10.9 yet... I wouldn't be surprised if it came out this year or not... either way seems equally plausable to me.

What I would like to see in an updated Mac OS X:

* Change system level font sizes. You can do this with a hack right now, but then your fonts hang off of the rastered UI element. On my 27" cinema display at native resolution I find that the UI elements are too small and wish that I could bump up the size without lowering my resolution. I'm currently running them in 1280x720 (HiDPI) and it works OK, but now they are a little too big...

* When I have a lot of application windows open on my 27" monitor and then I unplug the monitor to just use my 15" MBP screen, the app window controls are sometimes off the screen and can be very frusterating for me to resize all these windows. Wish that it would just resize all the windows to fit inside the current resolution. I have similar issues with Windows.

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about the next version of OS X 10.9. It seems awfully quite at the moment, last year this time we had already seen 10.8!

think you meant QUIET.

Something I would like to see is better support for multiple screens with full screen apps. Being able to arrange them according to your own preference would be great. I often use my MacBook Pro to view movies on my TV via HDMI, and when you try to open it full screen it always shoot back to the screen on the MacBook. By no means a Windows fan, but the wat Windows work with multiple screens is better. Come on Apple you guys can do better than that!

I would like to see better image previews in Finder; similar to Windows Explorer's thumbnail view of pictures... It's hard to make out pictures without opening them on a Mac, even with Cover Flow (due to the devision of the window)

To view pictures i just Turn On Quick View, put it on the side and then go through all the pictures.

Sometimes I like to see a lot of pictures at the same time and I want to see as much detail so different pictures are distinguishable.

Sometimes I like to see a lot of pictures at the same time and I want to see as much detail so different pictures are distinguishable.

You can also use Quick View for that, just select the photos -> Quick View -> Index Sheet

• 2 weeks later...

10.9 needs to fix all the performance issues 10.8 introduces for us poor non SSD users.

• Like 1

I would also like to see Finder improvements, folder arrangement seems random, is there a way to change system wide settings so that they automatically snap into place? I find myself regularly moving files into correct places e.g.. my large Downloads folder it might have 20 rows, if i delete the first 10 rows, then the remaining 10 rows are stuck below scrolling view, so i need to scroll down, select them and drag them to the top.. is it really not smart enough to know there is lots of blank space? i know i can click clean up but when this is happening in folders every day it becomes annoying..

I'm wondering if i've overlooked some settings to generalise all folders in the way that they work?

It would be good to see more control from open windows in dock, i could have 2 windows open in safari but minimised, if i want to close one of them i need to maximise it and click on the X.

I agree it's hard to think of where they will take Mac OSX next, it's very stable and works really well especially since they restored Expose after the dreadful Lion experiment with it.

I would like to see something done with HFS+ i still don't completely trust it after having 2 cascade faults on the FS itself (the hard disk was fine). Although i say that but one was under leopard and the other Snow leopard so perhaps the HFS on ML is better as i haven't had a crash yet.

Apart from that, more optimizations if it's possible, always nice to upgrade to a new release and your Mac works faster, however again ML is rock solid and fast for me so it's not a moan.

I agree with posters in that i would like calendar and contacts to go back to the way they were the skeumorphic stuff is horrendous and looks incredibly tacky.

I'd mostly like to see some general performance improvements; there are lots of little things that Windows is faster at. I'd also be real happy if they partnered with Cocoatech and incorporated some of the features from PathFinder into Finder. The removal of all the skeuomorphic UI elements would also be great.

I would also like to see Finder improvements, folder arrangement seems random, is there a way to change system wide settings so that they automatically snap into place? I find myself regularly moving files into correct places e.g.. my large Downloads folder it might have 20 rows, if i delete the first 10 rows, then the remaining 10 rows are stuck below scrolling view, so i need to scroll down, select them and drag them to the top.. is it really not smart enough to know there is lots of blank space? i know i can click clean up but when this is happening in folders every day it becomes annoying..

View -> Arrange By -> Name (or any other field).

That will keep your icons arranged automatically (e.g. when deleting something, resizing the window, etc)

• 2 weeks later...

It seems we have a bit of news from 9to5mac.com...

http://9to5mac.com/2...ar/#more-269833

After reading the article, I think OS X 10.9 is going to be more of an update than something ground-breaking - a mix of iOS7 and OS X - a more consistent user interface between Apple products - and from what I've read iOS7 is going to be flatter e.g. Metro - an update to both OS's look would be nice, but not at the cost of usibility - if it ain't broke don't fix it - more of a facelift, as long as it's not the Joan Rivers kind :woot: Finder enhancements are always welcome, but I'd really like to see some A-Grade improvements to Disk Utility, to enable more than 2 partitions on a 3tb Fusion Drive (yes I know there are work-arounds via terminal et al), but it would be nice to have those options at install time.

Wonder what "big cat" they'll go with, unless "Cabernet" is a big cat. They should use "Cougar," it's probably the most well-known big cat name that hasn't been used up yet.

Also, I really hope 10.9 does end up being much like 10.6, focusing less on new features and much more on improving what's already there. The mention of finally being able to take full advantage of multi-monitors is long overdue. But I'd like other minor things, like being able to actually name each Space, rather than just "Desktop 1, 2, etc." I'd also love to see some more customization, like being able to easily change the system font without using third-party applications, etc. Probably won't happen, but I can dream.

After reading the article, I think OS X 10.9 is going to be more of an update than something ground-breaking

At this point of our era, I don't think ground-breaking OS updates will ever exists anymore.

More ExFat support....for all drives on airport extreme.

Definitely or at least something that gives more control to the end user over the power management of the drive so that there isn't a massive performance hit of the drive having to spin and up down - maybe better disk management tools such as the ability to verify and repair disks.

At this point of our era, I don't think ground-breaking OS updates will ever exists anymore.

And IMHO I'd sooner not see massive ground-breakding OS changes either - I'd prefer measured well tested features being added so that a stronger focus is on fit and finish rather than getting more notches on the OS feature bedpost.

Ground-breaking anything is pretty much not acceptable - in or out of Apple OSes. What seems to be preferred is tinkering at the edges, as opposed to revolutionary. Ice Cream Sandwich is a fusion basically of the Android phone and tablet code bases, and was planned - Lion. and to an extent, even Mountain Lion, nearly became LaughingStock One and LaughingStock Too (despite the surprise acceptance of both outside of Mac hardware faithful), and look at how much Windows 8 is being attacked (mostly for being too different from Windows 7). What works is *improved old* - not much new, at least when it comes to software.

I will not buy an Apple computer for a long time after a couple of really bad experiences. However I miss so bleeing much OS X

I just don't like Windows feel, specially it's GUI.