OS X 10.9

I will not buy an Apple computer for a long time after a couple of really bad experiences. However I miss so bleeing much OS X

What problems did you have, out of interest?

What problems did you have, out of interest?

A macbook pro with a faulty videocard, fried in two months, Apple kindly replaced it... the replacement lasted a week.

An impressive iMac 27 inch... with a faulty motherboard. Apple kindly replaced the mb... but took two months... and when the machine finally arrived it was broken after 15 frigging minutes!

A macbook pro with a faulty videocard, fried in two months, Apple kindly replaced it... the replacement lasted a week.

An impressive iMac 27 inch... with a faulty motherboard. Apple kindly replaced the mb... but took two months... and when the machine finally arrived it was broken after 15 frigging minutes!

I see, that's pretty bad.

I had a similar experience with an HP laptop (5 motherboard replacements, various issues including the video card, twice) so I'll never buy an HP laptop ever again.

Ouch, yeah, that'd put anybody off.

If you really really want OS X, you could go down the hackintosh route.

I see, that's pretty bad.

I had a similar experience with an HP laptop (5 motherboard replacements, various issues including the video card, twice) so I'll never buy an HP laptop ever again.

Ah HP! Another brand I will not trust anytime soon.

I still rely heavily on my iPad mini and my iPhone. While my computer experience have been flaky Apple gadgets have been rock solid for me.

Now I use a Lenovo. Most reliable laptop I've ever used along with my (ironically) work's Macbook Air.

Ouch, yeah, that'd put anybody off.

If you really really want OS X, you could go down the hackintosh route.

Believe me, I thought about it, for quite a long time. Even did some research about kext injector and so on. However it's too much trouble.

I would like to see improvements made to Finder such as displaying transfer speed, pausing transfers, prioritizing transfers when you have multiple going on, etc. Tabbed browsing out of the box would be nice too -- I have that covered for now with TotalFinder.

What I would like to see in Finder is, when you are in list view, make it so that the last item in the list view is nothing.

This way you can right click in this empty space and create a new folder, rather than having to go through the menus on top. This is one of my top 25 Mac OS X annoyances.

• Like 2

On 9 to 5 Mac there was an article about OS X 10.9 being largely targeted at power users, including a redesigned Finder. Seems like an incredibly smart move considering how many people are unhappy with Windows 8.

Ah HP! Another brand I will not trust anytime soon.

I still rely heavily on my iPad mini and my iPhone. While my computer experience have been flaky Apple gadgets have been rock solid for me.

Now I use a Lenovo. Most reliable laptop I've ever used along with my (ironically) work's Macbook Air.

Believe me, I thought about it, for quite a long time. Even did some research about kext injector and so on. However it's too much trouble.

The hackintosh route is a lot easier than you think; just go with one of the recommended builds and you're all set. I used mutibeast to do all the major configurations, and kextbeast to add voodoo audio, and ssd trim support. I did do a decent bit of reading through the various forums here and there, but I successfully build a core 2 duo P45 based 10.6 - snow leopard and a newer i3 b75m based 10.8.3 ML system (the one I mainly use now).

The hackintosh route is a lot easier than you think; just go with one of the recommended builds and you're all set. I used mutibeast to do all the major configurations, and kextbeast to add voodoo audio, and ssd trim support. I did do a decent bit of reading through the various forums here and there, but I successfully build a core 2 duo P45 based 10.6 - snow leopard and a newer i3 b75m based 10.8.3 ML system (the one I mainly use now).

But I have a laptop :( I cant customize my hardware to meet os x needs.

Download Xtrafinder.com for tabs, folder arrangement, menu shortcuts, cut/paste, and tons more. Best of all it's free and better performance than Totalfinder and pathfinder.

I'd actually like the text APIs to gain sub-pixel positioning support in 10.9, or at least a public API for enabling it (Currently it snaps glyphs to pixel boundaries, so rotated or animated text jumps between whole pixels, which looks like crap)

Safari can disable it (or at least avoid it), but applications like Firefox or Preview draw their text in such a way that they can't benefit from that. DirectWrite on Windows supports it, and it leads to much nicer rendering (Which funnily enough is also one of the things people hate about it, since it renders much more correctly than GDI does)

I'd actually like the text APIs to gain sub-pixel positioning support in 10.9, or at least a public API for enabling it (Currently it snaps glyphs to pixel boundaries, so rotated or animated text jumps between whole pixels, which looks like crap)

Safari can disable it (or at least avoid it), but applications like Firefox or Preview draw their text in such a way that they can't benefit from that. DirectWrite on Windows supports it, and it leads to much nicer rendering (Which funnily enough is also one of the things people hate about it, since it renders much more correctly than GDI does).

I don't see that happening as Apple has a tendency to want to automate more things so there is consistent behaviour between applications - maybe if we're in luck there will be improvement in how the text is handled based on how rotation is handled in iOS.