Big Gun Control Debate

KingCracker
3 minutes ago, TPreston said:

Then it should be so easy to quote the law and prove me wrong, But you cant do that and we both know why that is.

The law is unless its a private sale you have to have a background check. I've never found a gun online that I could go right up to and get without a background check...

Tell me how many guns have you bought off of the internet? None, all you have is speculation no real facts and its showing in your comments. 

• Like 1

Emn1ty
2 minutes ago, TPreston said:

That's not what was claimed in the post I was responding to.

No, it's what you're claiming in your own post. That there's loopholes, which I'm stating there aren't (not in any realistic way anyways).

TPreston
1 minute ago, KingCracker said:

The law is unless its a private sale you have to have a background check. 

Great now I will try to drag you kicking and screaming into intellectual honesty.

Question. Can someone post an advert about their private sale online and allow people in the same state to come to them and purchase the weapon ?

KingCracker
6 minutes ago, TPreston said:

Great now I will try to drag you kicking and screaming into intellectual honesty.

Question. Can someone post an advert about their private sale online and allow people in the same state to come to them and purchase the weapon ?

Private sales are allowed by law as long as you don't sell to a felon. But some states like oregon,california and washington you can't, you have to go through a licensed FFL dealer. 

TPreston
Just now, KingCracker said:

Private sales are allowed by law as long as you don't sell to a felon. 

That is the online loophole HRC was discussing Armslist has hundreds of thousands of weapons available to purchase without any of the above checks.

So she was correct and you were at the very least incorrect or as I suggested wilfully dishonest in claiming a FFL was required.

Thanks we got there in the end.

KingCracker
4 minutes ago, TPreston said:

That is the online loophole HRC was discussing Armslist has hundreds of thousands of weapons available to purchase without any of the above checks.

So she was correct and you were at the very least incorrect or as I suggested wilfully dishonest in claiming a FFL was required.

Thanks we got there in the end.

Sorry But the VAST majority of online sales are done by FFL dealers and gun stores. What hillary will do is shut down internet sales completely regardless if they are doing it legally or not. 

You still have no experience with owning or buying a gun here and you will never understand that 99% of gun sales done on those sites are done through legal means so this loop hole you are suggesting doesn't really exist and 1 its legal  to do private sales and 2 most gun sales are done through FFL dealers

And then we get to your false hopes that criminals wont get their guns privately which is  laughable.  Regardless of what Clinton does or doesn't do with online sales Criminals will continue to buy  and trade guns privately like they always have.  

• Like 2

KingCracker

My next carry gun will likely be purchased online if the gun shop doesn't have what I want. 

Emn1ty
1 hour ago, TPreston said:

Question: Can someone hand a gun to anyone without the government knowing about it?

The answer to both of these questions is "yes". But that's not the real issue here. The real issue is how often is this done? How often do people who purchase weapons online in the manner you described end up committing gun violence in a scenario where a proper background check would have prevented it?

Why does it seem you are incapable of realizing there's more to the equation than "can someone do x". Well yes, but you have to prove people actually do it, and that they do it often for it to be a problem. If 99.9% of all online sales are done by licensed sellers (who are required by law to produce all paperwork for the weapon and do background checks regardless of online or offline sale, as far as I know) then it's a "loophole" that's not even worth closing.

So I'd like to see you answer my above question, and I'll reiterate it just so it's clear: How often do people who purchase weapons online in the manner you described (or obtained it second hand via an online purchase) end up committing gun violence in a scenario where a proper background check would have prevented it? For there to be a fix for something you must demonstrate that there's a problem (not a potential problem).

• Like 1

DocM

If you buy from an FFL;  in the store, online, at an auction or at the gun show, they have to fill out the forms and do a background check.  This applies to the VAST majority of gun sales. Period. 

If you do a private purchase, no matter how it's done, the procedure is a matter of state law except for handguns in which case the Feds require the purchaser be 21, and that requires showing an ID. Period.

State laws vary, with most requiring a private handgun purchase go through an FFL complete with background checks. No difference. 

Long arms are generally unregulated at the state level other than the purchase age, often 18. ID again. Some states do require FFL etc.

A few have no regulation of private sales, but the fix for this isn't draconian - just require private sellers use the FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) E-Check site,

http://www.nicsezcheckfbi.gov

Today it's offline due to the hack which hit the Eastern US, but its easy.

Even without a regulation the Feds (read Obama), politicians (read: Clinton), gun safety groups etc. could do a PR campaign asking private sellers to use it, but that's not as politically useful.

Having the issue matters more to them than practical solutions every.single.effing.time.

Edited by DocM
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
+Red King

#BanAssaultTrucks #PrayForGermany

• Like 1

• Andrew locked and unpinned this topic