Big Gun Control Debate

Charisma

People who unrationnaly have fixations on stuff are fanatics.

You went so far as to include gun-related language in your signature. We're in a computer forum. You are a fanatic.

irrationally*

I have my Xbox stats in my signature, does that mean I'm a gaming fanatic? =/ Hardly.

I'm not saying you're right or wrong ultimately, but your logic here seems... flawed. There is a massive difference between a hobby/interest, and something you are "a fanatic" about.

Bryan R.

Ok, well after thinking a bit, watching that video, here is where I stand at this.. and it's drastically different from what I came into this thinking. This nation is in a state of civil war, you might disagree with me, you might say, "Oh no it's not, herp da derp" but it is. I know it's a drastic 180 turn, but I saw that video and it made a valid point. People are going to have guns, they're going to murder people left and right and so on, so saying "oh we must regulate guns and take them off the street", that probably won't matter to the people who still have guns or get guns. Another argument is, "what have you got to be afraid of?" in response to posts made my DocM and Roadwarrior, and so on. They have a lot of be afraid of, because like it or not, the amount of guns and gun violence in this country, satisfies the definition for a civil war. They're afraid that someone is going to come up to them and kill them, and their family, that is what they're afraid of. I consider myself to be a left leaning moderate, and I might take a huge lurch to the right and become a right leaning moderate now, but I support people's rights to carry arms now.

Despite the fact that the guy who murdered those six people at the Sikh temple in Wisconsin got his gun legally, if there had been a gun owner there, I bet you he wouldn't have killed as many. You can debate this all you want, but that's the truth of the situation, all it would've taken was one guy with a gun that wanted to end the shooter's violence.

Don't get me wrong, I believe strongly that the extreme right's culture of violence and death are the reasons behind this second American civil war, and again, it's a civil war, it might not be as violent as Syria, Libya, or Iraq, and it might not be Civi versus Military, or Civi versus Government, but it's Civi versus Civi. Look at Chicago, Baltimore, Detroit, hell even Salisbury, where I heard automatic machine pistol fire once as a random "gangsta" shot up a person's house in the middle of the night just cause they didn't look at them right, or the raid on a house in a suburban neighborhood that netted $80,000 worth of weapons, ammunition, and drugs.

So yeah, I see where they're coming from now, DocM, Roadwarrior and the other gun supporters are not violent extremists like I originally thought, they're doing what I would want to do in this time of turmoil, protect their family, at all costs, I would do the same, instantly. So we need to end this discussion, it's too late, guns aren't going to go anywhere, so you have two choices, you lay on the ground quivering and hoping you don't die in a shooting, or you bring a gun, and make the other guy regret the day he planned that murderous rampage.

So for all the gun rights advocates that I've spit venom at in the past, I apologize, I can honestly say I understand now, and I'm joining in right there with you.

All it takes is an open mind, my friend. It's a different environment in many places in the US. It cannot be assumed the same strategies from another country will work here.

• Like 1

Azies

irrationally*

I have my Xbox stats in my signature, does that mean I'm a gaming fanatic? =/ Hardly.

I'm not saying you're right or wrong ultimately, but your logic here seems... flawed. There is a massive difference between a hobby/interest, and something you are "a fanatic" about.

Nothing wrong with being a gaming fanatic. :p

willgill

If guns weren't given away, how can people like Holmes buy some?They're not criminals. That's my point. They're would-be criminals, but they haven't done anything yet. The more effort they have to do and the more laws they have to break to commit a crime, the less likely they are to do so.

So you're saying a mind that has the potential to kill a theater full of people is thwarted by gun laws? The guy also made home-made incediaries and they ARE illegal.

If everyone has a gun they can reach, yes, maybe they do. Does everyone have a gun in their hand when you're in the street? No. Stop over-generalizing.
So more CHL owners/carriers does make a difference. I'm making headway.
As I've already said, having a big country where guns are legal and then banning guns in a few places does not work.

But how many mass shootings where guns are illegal in the entire country? When was the last time we heard about ten people getting killed at the same time in an European country? A long, long time ago.

A long time ago, like last year?

In Switzerland, not everyone has a gun (you can refuse it), and it's an assault rifle, not a machine gun (SIG SG 550, also known as Fass 90). Also, it is forbidden to go outside with it, unless you are currently working in the military, in uniform. I live in Switzerland; I've seen a few soldiers in uniform wearing their weapons, but never, ever a normal person with a gun. Ever. It just doesn't happen. And if it did, that person would very quickly be arrested by a police officer. Yet gun crime is a non-issue. How come there aren't criminals with illegal guns committing crimes everywhere?
Not to quibble, but the SIG SG 550 is a fully automatic assault rifle. Holmes was a semi-automatic. Gun crime isn't an issue in Switzerland because of the culture. Just like my example, guns were plentiful in my high school but we used them for sport and couldn't dream of anything else. That wasn't their purpose.
As usual, this kind of "the guns aren't dangerous" mentality can only be broken when a crime occurs. There have already been plenty of schootings at high schools...but everyone thinks that it'll never happen to them.

PS: If you want to answer to my message above, quote it in its entirety, not just a few selected parts.

I don't believe anyone said guns aren't dangerous. People without training shouldn't own one. Those that are scared of them shouldn't own one. I think it WILL happen to me and that's my point. When it does, I'd rather be prepared.

To speak plainly as a southerner, banning guns in America ain't gonna happen. Our nation was born from private citizens using their personal firearms. It's in our DNA. Banning guns will never eliminate them.

Tender Foot

Everyone needs to accpet the fact people will kill people with what ever means they have at their disposal and they have being do so since the begining of the cave man fighting over his cave girl etc with sticks/clubs & stones.

Until if we ever have precogs long after I'm dead, people will continue to kill other people since after all humans are in fact animals and have the animal instinct is another way you could look at it, we are taught at an very early age hitting/fighting is wrong etc so we are constantly fighting our instincts. I know someone will try to say other wise but you can't deny it.

Jason S.

Cars are not made to kill people, guns are. Stop using that stupid argument, it's been proven wrong dozens of times.

but why does it matter that guns are made to kill? Cars can kill even though they arent made to kill people. Say the guy that shot up the theater didnt have a gun. he could have used that car to drive through the theater's lobby and kill people.

I could kill a person with a cinder block even though it's not designed to kill people... i guess i dont understand the point you were trying to make.

• Like 1

KingCracker

BTW gun registration would never work, way to many guns out there, theres not enough time,manpower or money to find every gun or make everyone register they're gun. Even Canada did away with gun registerating. It didn't work and costed to much money.

• Like 1

Charisma

Nothing wrong with being a gaming fanatic. :p

Didn't say there was! Actually, I used to be, just don't have as much time for it these days. But that wasn't the point ;)

willgill

Ok, well after thinking a bit, watching that video, here is where I stand at this.. and it's drastically different from what I came into this thinking. This nation is in a state of civil war,.. People are going to have guns, .. but I support people's rights to carry arms now.

So yeah, I see where they're coming from now, DocM, Roadwarrior and the other gun supporters are not violent extremists like I originally thought, they're doing what I would want to do in this time of turmoil, protect their family, at all costs, ..

So for all the gun rights advocates that I've spit venom at in the past, I apologize, I can honestly say I understand now, and I'm joining in right there with you.

Azies, I assure you not all gun supporters are extremists or nuts. It's very commendable to come at this with a open mind. I have quite a few firearms with quite a bit of ammunition myself. Some may call my small arsenal crazy. I call owners of 6 pair of $150 Nike shoes crazy.

I love to hit the gun range. I love the mechanics and science behind these incredible machines. I love challenge the of accuracy. Frankly self-defense and hunting are behind my first loves of firearms.

• Like 1

Southern Patriot

BTW gun registration would never work, way to many guns out there, theres not enough time,manpower or money to find every gun or make everyone register they're gun. Even Canada did away with gun registerating. It didn't work and costed to much money.

Not only that, but many guns made before the 1960s (I think) didn't even have to have traceable serial numbers. My 410 shotgun that was made sometime prior to the 1930s has a number on it but there is no way to really trace when or where it was made since the company that made it is long since out of existence. From my research on it, they weren't even real "serial" numbers anyway, since there seems to be no specific order in which the numbers were assigned. A gun with the number 111111 stamped on it could easily have been made years or decades before (or after) one marked 111112. Had I not pawned it a while back, there would have been absolutely no record tying it to me (or my father or grandfather who owned it before me).

BlueScreenOfDeath

I will not respect anyone who can't read an article simply because it wasn't written by someone who agrees with them. If you think that MotherJones are biased liberals, prove it. Otherwise, read the article and think about it. Biaised articles are usually extremely easy to prove wrong, provided you know some facts and do fact-checking on what you don't know.

The "LALALA I can't hear you" mentality is extremely childish and doesn't lead anywhere.

I never said that, i read the article - i don't agree with it because i believe it's wrong.

Don't worry, I know that most people aren't psychopaths. But I also know that most people can suddenly want to commit crimes for a variety of reasons. Giving guns to everyone is an excellent way to make sure that anyone motivated enough to commit a crime will try it.

If guns were illegal, a lot of people would stop at the "buy an illegal gun from some shady dealer" part and think twice. Simple example: A man discovers his wife is cheating on him, and gets very angry. If he has a gun home, he might try to use it in a fit of rage. If he doesn't, he will not go buy an illegal gun to kill his wife. Psychology 101. Same thing with street gangs. It's easy to get into a gang and pretend you're powerful with your guns you just bought, but it's hard to actually go and find a gun dealer to buy an illegal gun and then get into a gang.

People are more likely to commit crimes when they are in bad situations like down on their luck, homeless, etc. How many robbers have robbed stores at gun point for 50 bucks. Plenty! Bad times make you do bad things sometimes - its the struggle to survive especially if they have no where else to turn like family, friends, or their own government doesn't help them. What you are failing to understand is that if someone is wanting to commit a crime with a weapon they will do it - weather that means they have to go purchase a gun from a gang member or illegally from other means...The thought they are doing something illegal isn't going to stop them, if they are determined to do it they will.

The main argument of the pro-gun movement is that guns are necessary for protection. But most of the crimes you are defending yourself against wouldn't happen if guns weren't legal. If it's a hardened criminal who wants to commit a crime, then he'll buy an illegal gun somewhere. But that kind of criminal will not be put off by the fact you have a gun, because he knows how to prevent that. Otherwise, they may abandon because of your gun, but their gun is most likely legal.

If guns prevented crime, the U.S. crime rate would be extremely low. The fact is, it's insanely high.

Guns are necessary for protection, and for hunting. Most crimes we are defending ourselves against won't happen IF we have gun. You think someone is going to rob you for 50 bucks if their only gamble is they lose their life with someone that's armed...they won't do it. They'll find someone weaker to prey upon. I've personally seen someone attempt to get robbed, have a gun, and actually scared the criminal off.

Other argument: the government will try to enslave you because you weren't able to defend yourself. Either the government actually does that, and then you die because a guy who sometimes goes to the shooting range will not survive for a minute against trained soldiers with much more effective weapons, or the government doesn't, and then that point is moot.

If you really wanted to defend yourself against the government, you'd be advocating that everyone should get military-grade training, plus military equipment at home, and armies should be formed to resist in case of a war. Go tell that to the public, they'll think you're insane.

Problem with Military grade stuff is it's hard to come by and unless someone FROM the military is arming the citizens its not for sale, the other problem here is the government doesn't have to have a violent crack down on us immediately - slow and steady wins the race - All they have to do is keep chipping away at our freedoms and rights (Example: warrantless wiretaps, drones in the sky, PATRIOT ACT) ...eventually we'll have none.

Besides, we're talking about guns in public here. I can understand the need for a gun in a safe for people who live outside of a city or someplace where the police isn't effective just in case. But people who buy dozens of guns because they like that should be put in an asylum. We're talking about weapons made to kill people here, it's not a hobby. If you want to shoot targets at the gun range, you don't need to carry a gun 24:7.

I see a few things wrong with this statement:

A: The average response time for a police officer can be anywhere from 5 minutes to 30 minutes. - In that time frame your entire family can be murdered and all your possessions taken...the cops will have done nothing at that point and they haven't even arrived.

B: People who own more than one gun might use it for different purposes: Example: pistol - protection , rifile - deer hunting, 22 rifle - squirrel or rabbit hunting. I have about 7 guns... shotguns, 22 rifles , an SKS and an Egyptian 8mm mauser for hunting bigger game..That doesnt make me nuts and worthy of being locked up as you seem to think. As far as it being a hobby - it is...deal with it. People who carry a gun 24/7 are usually those who have concealed carry permits...which you have to have a class for and proper training in situations that simulate high tense situations...they don't pass them out like coupons.

The whole "let's just enforce what exists" thing is not what's happening. Pro-gun advocates are constantly pushing for less gun control - be it Ron Paul who wants to nuke all gun-related laws, the NRA and the GOP who claims that Obama is evil and will nuke gun rights, or Obama himself who signed a few regulations allowing guns to be carried in Amtraks and national parks. The pro-gun movement in the U.S. does not want to preserve the statu quo, it wants to have as much guns as possible and carry them everywhere.

What you just discribed was the far religious right - Ron Paul is a Libertarian, yes i know he has an R next to his name this year but hes really a Libertarian in terms of views..We do need to inforce better what is already on the books...adding more will not fix or eliminately completely these mass killings by people who are unstable.

Ok, well after thinking a bit, watching that video, here is where I stand at this.. and it's drastically different from what I came into this thinking. This nation is in a state of civil war, you might disagree with me, you might say, "Oh no it's not, herp da derp" but it is. I know it's a drastic 180 turn, but I saw that video and it made a valid point. People are going to have guns, they're going to murder people left and right and so on, so saying "oh we must regulate guns and take them off the street", that probably won't matter to the people who still have guns or get guns. Another argument is, "what have you got to be afraid of?" in response to posts made my DocM and Roadwarrior, and so on. They have a lot of be afraid of, because like it or not, the amount of guns and gun violence in this country, satisfies the definition for a civil war. They're afraid that someone is going to come up to them and kill them, and their family, that is what they're afraid of. I consider myself to be a left leaning moderate, and I might take a huge lurch to the right and become a right leaning moderate now, but I support people's rights to carry arms now.

Despite the fact that the guy who murdered those six people at the Sikh temple in Wisconsin got his gun legally, if there had been a gun owner there, I bet you he wouldn't have killed as many. You can debate this all you want, but that's the truth of the situation, all it would've taken was one guy with a gun that wanted to end the shooter's violence.

Don't get me wrong, I believe strongly that the extreme right's culture of violence and death are the reasons behind this second American civil war, and again, it's a civil war, it might not be as violent as Syria, Libya, or Iraq, and it might not be Civi versus Military, or Civi versus Government, but it's Civi versus Civi. Look at Chicago, Baltimore, Detroit, hell even Salisbury, where I heard automatic machine pistol fire once as a random "gangsta" shot up a person's house in the middle of the night just cause they didn't look at them right, or the raid on a house in a suburban neighborhood that netted $80,000 worth of weapons, ammunition, and drugs.

So yeah, I see where they're coming from now, DocM, Roadwarrior and the other gun supporters are not violent extremists like I originally thought, they're doing what I would want to do in this time of turmoil, protect their family, at all costs, I would do the same, instantly. So we need to end this discussion, it's too late, guns aren't going to go anywhere, so you have two choices, you lay on the ground quivering and hoping you don't die in a shooting, or you bring a gun, and make the other guy regret the day he planned that murderous rampage.

I don't think we're in a civil war but i think a huge catalyst of this change was 9/11 ...we're more paranoid and anxious now than we have ever been in the past. as far as that guy that shot up the Sikh temple - he was a white supremacist who also served in the military. A bad mixture right there in and of itself. There is a recurring theme with these shootings that people are vastly over looking.

Holmes - (appears unstable and zoned the hell out, he's got "joker" orange hair and thought he was the joker

AZ shooter - clearly unstable by the looks of him ...manged to shoot Gabby Giffords and multiple others.

Sikh shooter - military guy / white supremacist ... bad mixture if he has PTSD AND he hates different ethnic backgrounds

All of these people were out of their mind ...most of us owning guns would simply not do ANY of these things at all, yet all of them are fairly young and if they had clean records and bought their guns i'm not sure they would have been caught but we wouldn't have caught them either way if they obtained them illegally. We simply do not live in the good ole years of 1980 something when you could let your kids play outside and everything wasn't as unsafe as it is now.. If i was put in the situation with my wife and kids where it was kill or be killed by someone with a gun... i'm protecting my family..and the person who's invading my home or threatening my life will die trying.

Azies, I assure you not all gun supporters are extremists or nuts. It's very commendable to come at this with a open mind. I have quite a few firearms with quite a bit of ammunition myself. Some may call my small arsenal crazy. I call owners of 6 pair of $150 Nike shoes crazy.

I love to hit the gun range. I love the mechanics and science behind these incredible machines. I love challenge the of accuracy. Frankly self-defense and hunting are behind my first loves of firearms.

Agree 100% , glad you're able to come at this with a very open mind - not all gun owners are nuts..and it appears the majority of pro regulation and anti gun seem to think every person is in the same catagory as theses other wackos.

Aethec

Yes, because $150 Nike are made to kill people, and often used to do so. Oh wait...

Tom

No, most of us have said that most criminals obtain their guns illegally. Most of the mass shooters listed there have no prior criminal history or documented mental illnesses, which is why they were able to obtain their guns legally. No amount of extra background checks (short of massive violations of privacy laws) or laws (short of outright bans) is going to make any difference there. That still doesn't justify taking guns away from tens of millions of people for the actions of a few dozen psychopaths. I'd also take that site with a grain of salt, because at least some of their information on the weapons used is wrong (which leads me to wonder what other info is wrong).

Using your logic of 'regulation won't do anything because criminals will be criminals.' there shouldn't be any gun laws whats so ever because criminals will be criminals, right? :rolleyes: Oh and why stop there, why is anything illegal?! Just get a bunch of guns so you can protect yourself! Deregulation, deregulation, big government doesn't work, everyone get some guns. You tried that already, it was called the wild wild west.

I'd hate to live in a society where gun laws are so lax that I have to be constantly afraid about when and if someone's going to pull out a gun and start firing at people.

trag3dy

Using your logic of 'regulation won't do anything because criminals will be criminals.' we should also make murder and rape legal because after all, criminals will be criminals.

Gotta say that's just about the stupidest thing I've ever read. Guns are legal but people use them to do illegal things. Murder and rape are illegal. If your argument is that we should ban anything that could possible be used to do something illegal then we'd all be homeless and walking around naked because literally anything and everything can be used for illegal purposes.

As others have already pointed out in this thread, the problem is not guns. Guns are just a tool, the real problem is people.

Anyone remember Timothy McVeigh? He didn't need guns to kill 168 people, including children, and injure around 400 more. For the most part done with items that are perfectly legal and can be bought in any country in the world.

• Like 2

Azies

Using your logic of 'regulation won't do anything because criminals will be criminals.' there shouldn't be any gun laws whats so ever because criminals will be criminals, right? :rolleyes: Oh and why stop there, why is anything illegal?! Just get a bunch of guns so you can protect yourself! Deregulation, deregulation, big government doesn't work, everyone get some guns. You tried that already, it was called the wild wild west.

I'd hate to live in a society where gun laws are so lax that I have to be constantly afraid about when and if someone's going to pull out a gun and start firing at people.

I think what the deal is that it won't do any good at this point because the weapons are so saturated into the population that extreme regulation will only disarm the ones that are law abiding.

Charisma

Gotta say that's just about the stupidest thing I've ever read. Guns are legal but people use them to do illegal things. Murder and rape are illegal. If your argument is that we should ban anything that could possible be used to do something illegal then we'd all be homeless and walking around naked because literally anything and everything can be used for illegal purposes.

As others have already pointed out in this thread, the problem is not guns. Guns are just a tool, the real problem is people.

Anyone remember Timothy McVeigh? He didn't need guns to kill 168 people, including children, and injure around 400 more. For the most part done with items that are perfectly legal and can be bought in any country in the world.

Thank you--I always feel like I'm talking to a wall when I try to be reasonable in these threads. I completely agree with your perspective here.

Tender Foot

Oh please stop being so ignornat and it's people like you that go over board with one extream to the next!

I'd hate to live in a society where gun laws are so lax that I have to be constantly afraid about when and if someone's going to pull out a gun and start firing at

Stop being over paranoid, it's the same thing in any country where you never know if someone is going to pull a gun, knife, kidnap, rob/mug you, the list goes on so stop trying to generalize/stereotype etc

HSoft

Cars are not made to kill people, guns are. Stop using that stupid argument, it's been proven wrong dozens of times.

Cars kill more people than guns. How is that a stupid arguement? Just because it doesn't fit in with your viewpoint?

• Like 2

Astra.Xtreme

That's pretty silly logic, don't you think? Just because somebody has a gun, doesn't mean they are going to be frantically waving it around every time they get angry. On the contrary, don't you think somebody is going to be less likely to commit a crime if they know that every witness around them is probably carrying a gun and would have justification to blow their head off? Most criminals want to get out alive, and allowing people to have guns reduces their chances dramatically.

• Like 1

Tender Foot

That's pretty silly logic, don't you think? Just because somebody has a gun, doesn't mean they are going to be frantically waving it around every time they get angry. On the contrary, don't you think somebody is going to be less likely to commit a crime if they know that every witness around them is probably carrying a gun and would have justification to blow their head off? Most criminals want to get out alive, and allowing people to have guns reduces their chances dramatically.

Yes exactly, the below story & link backs up your post.

news story where the elderly woman fired off two shots forcing the 5 would be robbers to run out of the sotre for there lives!

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/granny-get-your-gun-65-year-old-woman-thwarts-robbery-using-her-handgun/

Solid Knight

http://www.motherjon...s-shootings-map

I've seen right-wingers on here repeat the same talking point on guns over and over here. 'Gun regulation is dumb because most of the mass shooters obtain their firearms illegally anyway'

The facts are in and it shows that's wrong.

The regulation they propose is dumb because they often target weapons that weren't used. An "assault weapons" ban does nothing and was historically shown to do nothing. They can't ban guns and the weapons frequently used in shootings aren't anything special despite the media's insistence on calling everything "high powered"--as opposed to a low-powered firearm--or referring to semi-autos as "assault" weapons--assault meaning fully-automatic which is just incorrect.

ScorpioRGc1

No, most of us have said that most criminals obtain their guns illegally. Most of the mass shooters listed there have no prior criminal history or documented mental illnesses, which is why they were able to obtain their guns legally. No amount of extra background checks (short of massive violations of privacy laws) or laws (short of outright bans) is going to make any difference there. That still doesn't justify taking guns away from tens of millions of people for the actions of a few dozen psychopaths. I'd also take that site with a grain of salt, because at least some of their information on the weapons used is wrong (which leads me to wonder what other info is wrong).

Hit the nail on the head!

You want those who support the right to have guns to listen to you with a non objective ear, maybe you should try to understand our point and respect it. The biggest problem with people on here are that if you have a difference of opinion then its wrong, you cant simply agree to disagree or respect one anothers opinion on it.

What your side appears to not understand is that not all people want to go out and kill scores of people with their guns, or go running into a temple and mow down people we think are Muslims. There are crazy people out there and if you think there aren't then you're not living in reality. Your argument is to add more regulation and gun laws...and most of our responses are going to be support and enforce the ones on the books now.

This as well.

ArialBlue

I am all for banning guns. No one but the cops need them anyway.

You can purchase almost anything in America.

Just grab yourself a semi-automatic, pray to jesus, and shoot up a gay bar.

KingCracker

I am all for banning guns. No one but the cops need them anyway.

You can purchase almost anything in America.

Just grab yourself a semi-automatic, pray to jesus, and shoot up a gay bar.

Really? Can you be any more stereo typical?
  • Like 1

ArialBlue

Really? Can you be any more stereo typical?

What? Dumb and mentally challenged cling to guns anyway - as we have seen in these shootings everywhere.

US doesn't really help mentally ill much - most end up homeless bums.

US doesn't help the dumb either - 46% or something close of Americans are creationist.

Many drop out, education system is a failure and politics is just a system of who can tell and spin a bigger dumb lie and pretend to be more religious right.

Such people need not guns.

Police and other government organizations are specialized and trained and have way more merit holding a weapon of any kind that the average American.

Such strict regulations would stop people from acquiring guns and killing with them - after all majority were legally acquired in mass shootings.

Everyone else has Hollywood and Halo for their weapon fetishes.

• Andrew locked and unpinned this topic