Definitive: Which Linux distribution do you prefer? (2013 edition)

188 members have voted

1. 1. Which Linux distribution do you prefer?

• Debian GNU/Linux
    • Red Hat Enterprise Linux
    • CentOS
    • Fedora
    • Arch Linux
    • {K-, X-, L-}Ubuntu
    • Linux Mint
    • Gentoo
    • Slackware
    • Mandrake
    • Mageia
    • openSUSE
    • Other (specify below)
    • I'm rolling my own distribution.

Do you have this video issues on all distros? Maybe someone here can help you.

I haven't had the guts to try any others ATM as I am concerned it will be the same on all Distros

Issue I am having invovles a Intel 4000HD graphics and the screen going black and no way to wake it up, or the desktop freezing not being able to move the mouse or keys will not work, cant even do ctrl+f4 to drop me out of X

I have been doing some reading which says it may be a kernel issue, but I have tried adding acpi_backlight=vendor to boot options but that hasnt worked, I have intel set in make.conf, and i have tried without any xorg conf files, with them, it is just so hit and miss when it happens

I haven't had the guts to try any others ATM as I am concerned it will be the same on all Distros

Maybe, but Linux distros can be as different as day and night. One distro might work fine on one computer and the next won't work at all. Anything Ubuntu based will usually work on anything, though. Usually.

Issue I am having invovles a Intel 4000HD graphics and the screen going black and no way to wake it up, or the desktop freezing not being able to move the mouse or keys will not work, cant even do ctrl+f4 to drop me out of X

I have been doing some reading which says it may be a kernel issue, but I have tried adding acpi_backlight=vendor to boot options but that hasnt worked, I have intel set in make.conf, and i have tried without any xorg conf files, with them, it is just so hit and miss when it happens

You might come out better starting a new topic. I'm not sure that many people will see it here since this is not a help topic. :)

was thinking debian, but the packages are so old, plus there is an issue with digikam in any of the 3.X versions that eats all the mem when making thumbs, maybe i could look into arch, when i feel like it

^ I'm on Manjaro at the moment and love it. :)

Which version? XFCE, OpenBox, or a community distro like Gnome, MATE, etc?

Which version? XFCE, OpenBox, or a community distro like Gnome, MATE, etc?

XFCE. I tried the Openbox version but it was a little too simplistic for me. I did have a sound problem and solved it by installing the 3.4 kernel. For some reason I can't get any sound from the newer kernels but I'm okay with 3.4. Other than that, everything works perfect for me. 

I've only been using Linux for a few days and I have to say my experience has been a lot better than the experience I've has with Windows. 

The distribution I am using is Xubuntu 13.10 and its amazingly fast and responsive.  It will be my primary operating system for years to come.

I used to use Slackware many moons ago, but got annoyed with having to sort out all the dependencies myself when I wanted to build certain packages

Yes I don't like it either but usually the packages I need are often on Slackbuilds or on Eric (AlienBob) repo. And when you compile something it just works (like the vmware kernel modules).

At the moment the release is a little old, 18 months, and there're too many obsolete packages. I can't even install chrome 30. But it's really, as they say, rock stable.

Ubuntu 13.10 Server, though I'm not sure if Terminals count. But, performance wise, it has gotten so much better since 13.04 as far as I can tell.