Just how many people hate Windows 8?

Personally I really like Windows 8. It's undeniable that the OS itself (putting aside the polarising Metro interface for a moment) is superior to Windows 7. It boots quicker, loads apps quicker, and uses less system resources out of the box. This is all undisputable fact.

From my perspective, for the reasons above, PC enthusiasts would be fools not to adopt it. Why deny yourselves the aforementioned OS improvements just because you don't like Metro? Hell, you are the most able to avoid Metro, what with all the myriad of tweaks out there both free and paid. I'm at the desktop on my desktop most of the time, though I have ModernMix installed so I can use the Netflix and Email apps (for simplicity and speed, Mail app opens faster than Outlook ever did) from there.

For the average guy on the street, your "mum and dad" or example... Windows 8 has a bit of a problem. For the average computer illiterate person who is used to using Windows 7 or earlier, if you take that interace away and give them Windows 8 without any tutoring or hand holding, they are of course going to balk at it. It's not surprising and is completely understandable. Microsoft did a **** poor job of educating people on the changes.

Now for me, I spent the time installing Windows 8 onto my Dad's PC... showing him where everything was, how all the apps worked, how to get back to start, how to share things between apps, how to switch between apps, and where the shutdown option was (I made him a shutdown tile for ease), etc. You want to know what he said after I'd finished showing it to him and answering a few questions....? "That's very good. Everything I need is right there. And it's much quicker than it was before.". This by the way was after I'd let him have a play by himself for an hour, because as you know you remember stuff better when you figure it out yourself. He'd already figured out how to launch apps, get back to start, bring out the charms bar, and to toggle the most recent two apps, I just showed him the rest.

So my opinion is this... instead of projecting your own negativity onto those "average users" to ensure that they hate it... spend a little time holding their hand through the rough parts (and I don't deny there are some rough parts here and there), and you might actually find that the Windows 8 interface actual does suit the average user who just browses the web, sernds some emails, and does some shopping. My average user Dad certainly now agrees.

that the Windows 8 interface actual does suit the average user who just browses the web, sernds some emails, and does some shopping. My average user Dad certainly now agrees.

this is exactly the reason I hate it.

because its taking a leaf out of the apple book of lets dumb down everything so it just "Works for the masses"

so as a user who has multiple programs open, with heavy reliance on mouse, dual monitor setup etc. windows 8 is pathetic for the desktop.

Touch is far from a fad. There are many benefits to having a touch UI. A more dynamic UX is one of them. I yearn for a more dynamic computing experience, and Metro is delivering just that. It's 2013, to suffer through a bland, static UX is insane, computers can do and offer so much more, but we'll never get there cling on to an old paradigm. It's not 1995 anymore, the computer has matured, and now it's time for the next level.

Many of you want to claim ergonomics, but grasping a mouse isn't as ergonomic as you may think either, nor is sitting down, and being sedentary but many here claim they do anyway. Touch offers a new way to interact with our data and our machines, ways the mouse will never offer.

Then again your name is "Dot Touch is the Future Matrix"

I'm a power user that uses Windows all day with lots of windows open and generally gets stuff done. Touch is OK for casual use but to my utter amazement I found that the mouse actually does still work as it did before!

I'd heartedly recommend it. (Y)

touch is great for portable devices and kiosks. I had to write a 20 page paper on optics for my physics final. I could never imagine having to do all that work on a touch screen. Touch will never be nearly as accurate and precise as a real key stroke and I could never imagine doing all notes and MLA crap and sourcing on touch either. and software programming.. with all the special characters required. What a pain in the ass. "Touch" and all the other "natural" inputs that they keep trying to develop are basically toys and never measure up to real buttons.

Just look at gaming.

Wii's controls are just wailing your arms around hoping that it got your input correct

Kinect's voice recognition is a hit or miss experience as well as flailing your arms and legs at the camera

Move is just the same.

so yeah. "natural inputs" are really in alpha stage of development but being sold as complete products when they aren't. I don't think most people would stand for a mouse or keyboard that sometime got a keystroke right and sometimes not. Why should we accept it from these technologies?

Agree with everything except Xbox Kinect's "Voice Recognition" is awesomely accurate in my experience. Having said that, if a controller or my universal remote that does my xbox too is nearby I grab it. It's faster to use it than voice in almost all instances. I use voice if I can't quickly find a controller or the remote.

because its taking a leaf out of the apple book of lets dumb down everything so it just "Works for the masses"

so as a user who has multiple programs open, with heavy reliance on mouse, dual monitor setup etc. windows 8 is pathetic for the desktop.

Funny then that dual monitor support is actually one of those undeniable superiorities that I mentioned. As someone who is clearly well versed in using a computer, it's astonishing that you seem to believe that Windows 8 is just the touch-centric Metro interface. There is a desktop underneith you know, that can be made to function identically to Windows 7, but with the benefits of Windows 8 if you so desire.

If you somehow believe that on a desktop you are forced to stay at the Metro interface, and can't actually use the PC identically to how you used it in Windows 7. then perhaps it's not Windows 8 that is pathetic.

That's business 101, bro.

If that's your business model and volume has always been Microsoft's model. I wouldn't mind if they brought back the Workstation distinction and workstation allowed GPO settings to disable Start Page and Modern UI Search. But, alas, I can do that for $5 with Start8. I guess that's why I'm OK with Windows 8 :) except for the apps.

You know what would be hilarious? If Apple released an awesome iTunes for Modern UI to sync iPhones and iPads and Microsoft still had no Modern UI equivalent.

Personally I really like Windows 8. It's undeniable that the OS itself (putting aside the polarising Metro interface for a moment) ... snip

Well said. I wouldn't push anyone "to" Windows 8, myself, but I certainly wouldn't push them away. Unless:

They Sync music with Zune or are just heavy Zune users if they have a WP8.

For the type of users you're talking about, I actually think Windows 8 would encourage more use even if they just Web Browse, Facebook, Tweet, and Email. And a whole lot of people just do that. In fact, many can't even do that easily with Windows 7 or XP specially if their PC was loaded with shovelware when they got it. Their PCs typically collect dust and viruses (XP).

If that's why you hate it get Star8 or one of the free Star Menu replacements that allow you to boot to Desktop.

People do not see the improvement in Windows 8, and in fact, many see areas of regression. Something Windows has never done in the past.

Well, one would say that the majority DO see the great improvements, and the minority are simply wrong and stifling creativity and forward thinking.

There will always be the ones that never see 'enough' improvement, or want to keep the old. One day, they will be forced to change.

I'm a power user that uses Windows all day with lots of windows open and generally gets stuff done. Touch is OK for casual use but to my utter amazement I found that the mouse actually does still work as it did before!

I'd heartedly recommend it. (Y)

Seriously? There are still things that you can click on?

This must be an April Fool's joke.

i love it - used win 8 since dev preview.

my wife on the other hand despised it initially when i installed it on her laptop.shes not the most technologically inclined but now she loves it and even defends it when her friends and/or family talk bad about the metro aspect of it lol.

...but now she loves it and even defends it when her friends and/or family talk bad about the metro aspect of it lol.

the fact that this even comes up in conversations with friends and/or family means that Microsoft did it's job right. I have used windows since wayyyyy back when, and never have I had conversations with friends and family members about any other version other then 'yeah, check out the new OS'. Now, I have older family members asking specifics, what is really different, what about this boxes on the screen, etc.

Win, imo.

• Like 1

i like it but:

1. no easy way to pin apps, always have to right click and "show all apps"

2. metro apps on a 27" screen... i like to have more than 1 app open for, for example, comparing things

Well, one would say that the majority DO see the great improvements, and the minority are simply wrong and stifling creativity and forward thinking.

Sales say otherwise.

• Like 2

Maybe because I use desktop, I like large keypad and dislike laptop.

Maybe because I use the keyboard more than the mouse, shortcut keys facilitate me use the computer.

Maybe because I like my icons where I find it easier to use them in place and I'm used to for 17 years.

and certainly because I use a 47-inch screen as a monitor, sitting on my sofa with my wireless keyboard and mouse, so I use windows 8 but configured to look like XP.

My tablet runs android, motorola xoom, but if I had a surface probably i will like to use it.

Sorry for my bad english, it is not my native language

There will always be the ones that never see 'enough' improvement, or want to keep the old. One day, they will be forced to change.

It's not that they don't see improvement, it's that the regression or just the new things that irk the way they work are not outweighed for them by those improvements. Trust me, if the Modern UI Music, Video, and Calendar apps were just awesome, many who shun it for a lot of these annoyances would put up with it. We all know there's annoyances and room for improvement, it's a personal matter of what outweighs what. Letting MS know their dissatisfaction will result in some changes. How much is iffy. MS has gone down a road they can't retreat much from now.

Sales say otherwise.

And if that continues things will change. I mean look how early we are in 8's lifecycle and already people are talking more about Blue and 9. That speaks volumes.

Ever play Shadow Complex on XBLA? Dude if that was a Windows 8 exclusive ... Microsoft on the consumer in just ain't cool right now. They need to hire some cooler dudes or something. MS' own Full House Poker. Bizzare's Geometry Wars.

And sadly to say, the iOS Lync app is slicker than the Windows 8 for Desktop and Surface. How did that happen?

i love it - used win 8 since dev preview.

my wife on the other hand despised it initially when i installed it on her laptop.shes not the most technologically inclined but now she loves it and even defends it when her friends and/or family talk bad about the metro aspect of it lol.

Cool avatar :D I've already stolen it and made an icon. Long live Explorer UI, context menus, taskbar, and MDI.

Afro Dude II.ico

Personally I like it...

But:

My only complaints....

the left corner there should be a little more room where they placed the IE to click the start... sometimes I accidentally click on the IE instead of start...

Second was trying to get to the settings you want... (however creating the GOD MODE folder and pinning that to the start menu fixed that) (or using the search)

My wife says she does not like it... that she can't get used to it.

i like it but:

1. no easy way to pin apps, always have to right click and "show all apps"

2. metro apps on a 27" screen... i like to have more than 1 app open for, for example, comparing things

Right now you can 2 apps split 70%-30%, but with blue this summer you can have up to 4 side by side at arbitrary sizes. To do this, click at the top of the screen (mouse should turn into a hand) and drag down and sideways to the side of the screen. If you drag the app all the way you can close the app. This works with touch as well, swipe in from the top to about halfway and then slide your finger to the side.

• Like 2

And if that continues things will change. I mean look how early we are in 8's lifecycle and already people are talking more about Blue and 9. That speaks volumes.

If sales don't improve after Blue is released I think we will see some changes.

Within the "nerd" set, there a few vocal types that don't like change, it's best if we ignore them instead of making them feel like their antiquated views matter when they don't

:/

I mean look how early we are in 8's lifecycle and already people are talking more about Blue and 9. That speaks volumes.

That tells me that people want something new, hoping MS listens to people's complaints and addresses their issues with Win 8.

[/size]

If sales don't improve after Blue is released I think we will see some changes.

Blue is already bringing requested changes.

Don't know...haven't had much of a chance to count them. If you have the time, be my guest, but I have a life....and I intend to keep it instead of taking a census. Good luck OP. (I still love ya though!)