Want a SSD but find them too pricey? Here's your chance :D

My boss gets periodic emails about good tech deals, and these Samsung SSDs were the ones being advertised today:

http://www.macmall.c...6G*&man=Samsung

I dunno, maybe there are better/similar deals out there, but I thought it was pretty good. I got a 60GB SSD for $80-90 about 6 months ago. Would have been nice to get double the storage space for that! But the performance difference was awesome and I recommend upgrading to a SSD to anyone who is looking for a relatively painless way to give their slightly aged machine a new life. He just ordered the 256GB one.

Anyway just thought I'd give a heads up, looks like a nice deal :)

• Like 3

Cease spamming teh Neowin at once! I'm one twitchy finger from hitting Report and then ban comes upon ye. :angry:

What? :p

haha I knew people would rip it apart and I debated not posting, but I wanted to at least try to do something nice. Not everyone can afford the regular-priced, top-of-the-line stuff.

• Like 3

What's wrong with regular 840's? Apart from the fact I have the 250gb version, I have no problems with it at all, it walks all over a regular hdd for performance...

You shouldn't really dismiss these as they are still a very good upgrade from a normal HDD.

Why, you did! It's my way of saying "great"! There's not much else for me to do in this thread - I'm from a different planet country. I'm deeply sorry for amusing myself publicly at your and Neowin's expense :sleep2: Here, have a 5-star and a likey-likey :turned:

an SSD :p, while we're at it...

with the 840's you have to be careful, if you buy one with TLC memory they are cramming even more bits per cell, and have yet even sorter write cycles, think it was like 3,000 now? If you buy an 840 you want MLC memory not TLC

TLC is usually given away by the odd storage size like 120GB because it's hard to get a base 2 number like 128 with TLC

Why, you did! It's my way of saying "great"! There's not much else for me to do in this thread - I'm from a different planet country. I'm deeply sorry for amusing myself publicly at your and Neowin's expense :sleep2: Here, have a 5-star and a likey-likey :turned:

an SSD :p, while we're at it...

dammit, you're right. This is what I get for posting pre-caffeine. I got it right in the title at least :p

*ninja-edits*

• Like 1

with the 840's you have to be careful, if you buy one with TLC memory they are cramming even more bits per cell, and have yet even sorter write cycles, think it was like 3,000 now? If you buy an 840 you want MLC memory not TLC

TLC is usually given away by the odd storage size like 120GB because it's hard to get a base 2 number like 128 with TLC

The estimated life of an 120gb 840 SSD is about 12 years (double that for the 240gb version) under heavy load and far longer for a normal PC user using it for some apps/games and OS. There is nothing to worry about.

Those aren't very good prices...Behold the price I paid 3 weeks ago on a 500GB Samsung 840

post-26332-0-78761900-1364835204.png

Looks like Samsung has been having a lot of sales lately :)

The regular 840 is a piece of junk, so it's definitely worth spending a little more to get something much better & faster.

for the price its pretty good. Yeah, its not a high end ssd, but its still a lot faster than a hdd. I have one in my desktop and it works great. Calling it a 'piece of junk' is pretty ridiculous. I got mine on sale for around 140 dollars (the 250gb one) and don't regret it.

The estimated life of an 120gb 840 SSD is about 12 years (double that for the 240gb version) under heavy load and far longer for a normal PC user using it for some apps/games and OS. There is nothing to worry about.

+1, samsung wouldn't use TLC if they didn't think it would be able to cut it. Firmware and wear leveling has come a long way, and samsung's firmware does a good job of it. In addition this ssd has a 3 year warranty and a 1,500,000 hour MTBF, which is on par or better than you get with a hdd. We are no longer working with crappy first gen ssd's, you have very little to worry about when it comes to longevity of current gen ssd's.

• Like 2

for the price its pretty good. Yeah, its not a high end ssd, but its still a lot faster than a hdd. I have one in my desktop and it works great. Calling it a 'piece of junk' is pretty ridiculous. I got mine on sale for around 140 dollars (the 250gb one) and don't regret it.

+1, the only difference between a regular 840 250gb and its crucial m4 256gb equivalent is a slower write speed of 10 MB/sec albeit better read/write IOPS. The 840 regular and pro series have their performance differences and the former is really tailored to those on budgets but given the solid reliability of Samsung SSD's and on comparison with like for like drives from manufacturers with similar solid reliability (Intel & Crucial), anyone referring to the 840 as 'a piece of junk' really needs their head checking.

+1, the only difference between a regular 840 250gb and its crucial m4 256gb equivalent is a slower write speed of 10 MB/sec albeit better read/write IOPS. The 840 regular and pro series have their performance differences and the former is really tailored to those on budgets but given the solid reliability of Samsung SSD's and on comparison with like for like drives from manufacturers with similar solid reliability (Intel & Crucial), anyone referring to the 840 as 'a piece of junk' really needs their head checking.

Well it is a piece of junk considering for $10-20 more, you can get an SSD that's faster, is higher quality (will last longer), and has 8GB more.

The bad performance alone is enough of a reason not to get it. The reviews and benchmarks on the net all say the same thing.

The only ones who need "their head checked" are the ones who ignore the facts. You get what you pay for...

That's a good deal, Charisma! Wish I could afford one....but as of right now I'm broke as a joke. Heck, I can't even pay attention, lol! That's going to change this coming up friday, though. PAYDAY! Too bad for me, though. Oh well. Thank you anyway! I genuinely appreciate it!

Well it is a piece of junk considering for $10-20 more, you can get an SSD that's faster, is higher quality (will last longer), and has 8GB more.

The bad performance alone is enough of a reason not to get it. The reviews and benchmarks on the net all say the same thing.

The only ones who need "their head checked" are the ones who ignore the facts. You get what you pay for...

the read performance on the 840 is excellent, its only the write performance that is "bad". the read performance is what is most important for most people anyway. I got mine for ~140 dollar which was an excellent deal for a 250gb ssd.

What's wrong with regular 840's? Apart from the fact I have the 250gb version, I have no problems with it at all, it walks all over a regular hdd for performance...

You shouldn't really dismiss these as they are still a very good upgrade from a normal HDD.

There's no problem with them. They are a little slower, the TLC nand it uses is less durable, and they only have a 3 year warranty.

SSDs are still not worth it for regular PCs.

A Seagate Ive found with 4TB is set at $188. Until there is a SSD with 4TB at about 200-250, it isnt worth it. If you are obsessed with performance, then yes but for 90% of computer users, no.

I completely and utterly disagree with you sir.. but I shall defend your right to say moronic stuff on this forum until my last breath..

As a side note, thanks for the share Charisma >.<