Internet connection question

We recently switched internet providers from ATT DSL to qwirelessbb who is a wireless fixed point ISP. Anyways, the speed is superfast. I can usually hit 2.0MB/sec on torrents. Now here is the stupid question. For the life of me I cannot figure out WHY firefox any any browser really does good to hit 100KB/sec for any file. If I use something like DownThemAll for firefox, I can hit 300-350 on the same file easily. I have called the ISP, and they said they have no clue why thats happening, and said that they dont filter anything. Anyone have any idea's on what I should check? Thigs like windows update or anything that goes over httpd seems to be limited to around 1.5MB/sec speeds. I have swapped routers twice. Any clue?

We recently switched internet providers from ATT DSL to qwirelessbb who is a wireless fixed point ISP. Anyways, the speed is superfast. I can usually hit 2.0MB/sec on torrents. Now here is the stupid question. For the life of me I cannot figure out WHY firefox any any browser really does good to hit 100KB/sec for any file. If I use something like DownThemAll for firefox, I can hit 300-350 on the same file easily. I have called the ISP, and they said they have no clue why thats happening, and said that they dont filter anything. Anyone have any idea's on what I should check? Thigs like windows update or anything that goes over httpd seems to be limited to around 1.5MB/sec speeds. I have swapped routers twice. Any clue?

That is because download managers start multiple threads of the same download. They might open 6 different connections at 300kb's per second each. Same for torrents. You are usually downloading from multiple people all at the same time. I have a 15 meg connection at my house and downloads from firefox suck unless I use a download manger, then I can max my connection out.

thanks for that. I wasnt sure if something wierd was going on or not as my dsl never had that problem

I can download at full speed with firefox without any other DL Managers

Check you don't have any proxies set in firefox network settings or IE LAN settings

Well, just under full speed for Ubuntu

123.PNG

Nope, no proxy settings on either

Which firewall / AV you using? Maybe that is scanning HTTP and slowing things down, I had Kaspersky IS 2013 installed for a few days and it crippled my browsing unless I disabled 75% of the modules

There is a guide here for similar issues with ESET

---

The HTTP protocol issue can be resolved by adding or modifying the following registry value:

Locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{Interface GUID}\TcpAckFrequency in the Windows registry and change its value to 1.

{Interface GUID} represents the ID of a network adapter.

Values:

Value name: TcpAckFrequency

Value data: 1

Type: DWORD

Acomputer restart is required for the change to take effect.

http://kb.eset-la.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2654

Honestly, no AV or firewall, never needed one

I just looked at my archlinux box updating, and its running at a cool 300KB/sec

but from microsoft my ff downloads are capped(?) at 100KB/sec

its wierd

No AV or Firewall on Windows.... ? Good luck with that one :p

Scanned for malware lately ?

With Windows as long as you do your updates, don't install java, and keep 3rd party applications up to date you are probably ok. I would / and do sandbox my web browsing just to be safe. Then again I do also use Avast and malwarebytes.

With Windows as long as you do your updates, don't install java, and keep 3rd party applications up to date you are probably ok. I would / and do sandbox my web browsing just to be safe. Then again I do also use Avast and malwarebytes.

95% of malware targets Windows, I say even with an AV and fully updated you are still vulnerable.

Sandboxing the browser is probably the best way to be safe without an AV, but if you don't do that, and a genuine site you visit is hijacked and infected, then..... oops

Of course sensible internet use is also advised, but who does that in reality... I'm forever exploring sites and thinking, hmm maybe I shouldn't have clicked that :rofl:

No, I dont use them. I have only had one infection from a usb drive from work that I can remember. If I do get infected, I roll back to a full image I made of the installed system, 8 mins later, machine is running fine again.