Kinect hasn't been implemented everywhere and there is a Leap Motion competitor. Therefore, Microsoft doesn't know what they're doing.

MS has done little to develop connect while hackers/mods have taken Kinect much further.

Considering there is NO desktop version of Android or iOS, they are talking about the mobile platforms in that instance. Not hard to understand.

No, I believe they're just completely glossing over the fact that Windows 8 is a mobile and desktop platform, as does everyone else it seems.

I'm going to read this and join the fray in a couple hours. As long as these remain civil and not personal, they're quite informative. Learn a lot from both sides.

... that's the point... so why is Android or iOS even mentioned when she is talking about Windows 8????? Not hard to understand... but apparently for you.

I dont know, ask the author of the editorial. And if you cannot reply without being rude, I wasnt, then I am done with you.

MS has done little to develop connect while hackers/mods have taken Kinect much further.

And how is that bad for Microsoft? Microsoft built some hardware and a SDK for it. The author's complaint is that Kinect doesn't work well in close proximity, let's say on a desktop. Well, no ****, that's not what Kinect was designed to do.

I dont know, ask the author of the editorial. And if you cannot reply without being rude, I wasnt, then I am done with you.

And that's what I've been saying, the author of the editorial didn't do a very good job and is making irrelavant points in drawing her conclusion.

The author's complaint is that Kinect doesn't work well in close proximity, let's say on a desktop. Well, no ****, that's not what Kinect was designed to do.

The authors point concerning Kinect is that it can do more and MS hasnt developed it. Do a search on Kinect mods/hacks and then research what Kinect currently does. People who mod/hack the device do amazing things with it.

The author made her statements before even mentioning Windows 8. She didn't draw any valid comparisons.

This was how her article went:

"Microsoft controls the OS.... ..... That's no longer true. Apple's iOS and Google's Android are both more powerful on clients. Linux is more powerful in the data center. The cloud makes Windows irrelevant. ... .... Windows 8 has 3% desktop market share.... Ballmer is a great salesman.... Microsoft didn't develop Kinect further, nor did it push Kinect as a computer product.... Leap, in short, is what Kinect should have been.... Like IBM 30 years ago, it has become vulnerable to the first "kids with a clue" who came along: the guys at Leap Motion"

So guys, what she is saying is, Leap Motion is going to put Microsoft out of business.

The authors point concerning Kinect is that it can do more and MS hasnt developed it. Do a search on Kinect mods/hacks and then research what Kinect currently does. People who mod/hack the device do amazing things with it.

No, it can't do what the author wants it to do (gesture based control on a desktop without touch input). Secondly, she has no idea what Microsoft has planned for this use case.

The moment people start comparing glorified app launchers (iOS/Android) to a full fledged OS is where I get off. The idea alone shows a total lack of understanding of the real world figures.

This year about 200M PCs/tablets/phones with a Microsoft OS will ship/sell.

Dude, the author wants gesture control on desktops and mobile devices. "because it's not from Microsoft it will work with any device: Macs, iOS, Android, whatever you've got. Plus Windows"

She thinks because Kinect doesn't work on a cell phone, Microsoft is doomed.

I'm not saying the article is right, but the computing landscape looks very different today than it did for the past 2 decades...

windows still dominates %90 of desktop/laptop market,even if you include tablets (ios ~3% android ~1%).that has not changed at all in the past few decades. what changed is that there is a whole new market,and combining the 2 and comparing them to try to gain some pride is laughable. why didn't they also include the Xboxes,playstations and nintendos in their charts? theres all you need to know about misleading graphs. but hey,it doesn't change the facts.

i won't explain anything nor do i need justify or even modify my free opinion. i don't need gaming on my lubuntu system because i prefer console gaming and because i am not as lucky as some and have only limited money.

it's really horrible here. if you are not a windows-nazi you automatically get the feeling to be someone inferior / less valuable.

Did you read the link and the links in the link? Yes, they are desktops.

Yes? It looks like a guy standing in front of a large screen, that isn't a desktop.

Dude, the author wants gesture control on desktops and mobile devices. "because it's not from Microsoft it will work with any device: Macs, iOS, Android, whatever you've got. Plus Windows"

She thinks because Kinect doesn't work on a cell phone, Microsoft is doomed.

Never said anything about connect working on a cell phone. Says MS has not really pushed the tech while Leap Motion has.

Yes? It looks like a guy standing in front of a large screen, that isn't a desktop.

read the article and click on the links.

http://www.ros.org/wiki/kinect

YES they are desktop systems...otherwise, why would there be driver/code support for Windows, OSX, and Linux.

Never said anything about connect working on a cell phone. Says MS has not really pushed the tech while Leap Motion has.

The author, I quote again, wrote "[Leap Motion] because it's not from Microsoft it will work with any device: Macs, iOS, Android, whatever you've got. Plus Windows"

From my knowledge, and yours from your previous comments, we know that iOS and Android, run on mobile devices, ie: cell phones.

read the article and click on the links.

http://www.ros.org/wiki/kinect

YES they are desktop systems...otherwise, why would there be driver/code support for Windows, OSX, and Linux.

Yes, I am done too. You've missed the point and I can't seem to help you understand.

I think they have sponsored 10 projects that use Kinect. Does the author know about it? I doubt.

And how is that bad for Microsoft? Microsoft built some hardware and a SDK for it. The author's complaint is that Kinect doesn't work well in close proximity, let's say on a desktop. Well, no ****, that's not what Kinect was designed to do.

And that's what I've been saying, the author of the editorial didn't do a very good job and is making irrelavant points in drawing her conclusion.

Microsoft actually released a "Kinect for Windows" that can track better for desktop usage.

i won't explain anything nor do i need justify or even modify my free opinion. i don't need gaming on my lubuntu system because i prefer console gaming and because i am not as lucky as some and have only limited money.

it's really horrible here. if you are not a windows-nazi you automatically get the feeling to be someone inferior / less valuable.

I agree, I think you are unfairly targeted for this guy's stupid post.

Yes, I am done too. You've missed the point and I can't seem to help you understand.

Stop making assumptions, reply without being rude, and actually understand what you are saying yourself next time. Its obvious the only think you did with the link I posted was look at the picture. You didnt read anything.

Have a good day.

windows still dominates %90 of desktop/laptop market [...] what changed is that there is a whole new market,and combining the 2 and

Isn't that pretty much what Microsoft is doing? Windows 8 is supposed to compete in the combined market of Desktop Windows/Mac/Linux/iOS/Android ?Where do devices like the Surface Pro fit in which are neither desktop nor laptop?

comparing them to try to gain some pride is laughable

Where does pride enter into the discussion? :huh:

I think they have sponsored 10 projects that use Kinect. Does the author know about it? I doubt.

True, but nothing really has come of it that I have seen. Kinect used to be big news....now you hardly hear about it after the new/coolest factor wore off. I hope they do more with it as I looked at a lot of the projects that are out there and there are some really cool things you can do with Kinect.

Stop making assumptions, reply without being rude, and actually understand what you are saying yourself next time. Its obvious the only think you did with the link I posted was look at the picture. You didnt read anything. Have a good day.

Lol. Dude, you're arguing with me about Kinect. This entire time I've been talking about the author of the article being a bad writer and not making valid points. You've actually agreed with that in some of your replies =/

If people hate Windows 8 because of the UI, how are they going to take to waving their hands about in the air to control the machine?

I'll have to grab some popcorn and beer to watch that debacle and the hate that would follow.

windows is for noobs and "simple" people. it lacks the aura of creativity apple has to offer or the aura of technology advance linux offers.

...so Windows doesn't have Photoshop, Premiere, or Pro Tools? Holy cow, I must be using an impostor version of Pro Tools on my PC! :o

And what is this "technology advance" you speak of? Complicated installing of programs? The inability to play 99% of games? Actually, I think your post is a little broken; let me fix that for ya...

windows OS X is for noobs and "simple" people. it lacks the Windows has the same aura of creativity apple has to offer or and the aura of technology advance linux offers (which you'll only get on Linux if you're prepared to set aside a week of your life learning how to actually use it).

Isn't that pretty much what Microsoft is doing? Windows 8 is supposed to compete in the combined market of Desktop Windows/Mac/Linux/iOS/Android ?Where do devices like the Surface Pro fit in which are neither desktop nor laptop?

Where does pride enter into the discussion? :huh:

I said even combining ipads and android tablets,windows still dominates with %90 of the market.that hasn't changed. im talking about combining the phone market with the desktop/laptop/tablet market is nonesense.

and about pride,the mac guys have their pride hurt from decades of domination. a mac guy most likely made that chart,combining 2 different markets to give his team some pride.