Kotaku: Next Xbox will require online connection to start games

and ?

The requirement of "always online required" has already been tested by MS on a console?

Noone's said it's completely unthinkable.

just that for MS to do this they're either not the only ones, or there's some very good incentives, the only one there is good enough is EA exclusivity.

for me personally, if every game is treated as a GOD/DD and the disc is just an alternate delivery, I personally find that awesome. no need for the disk to play the game, I can play my game on any of my Xbox'es anywhere without bringing the disk. I'm not seeing a downside.

Noone's said it's completely unthinkable.

just that for MS to do this they're either not the only ones, or there's some very good incentives, the only one there is good enough is EA exclusivity.

for me personally, if every game is treated as a GOD/DD and the disc is just an alternate delivery, I personally find that awesome. no need for the disk to play the game, I can play my game on any of my Xbox'es anywhere without bringing the disk. I'm not seeing a downside.

Have a read at this news post - https://www.neowin.net/news/uk-game-retailers-are-already-against-an-always-on-next-xbox

I still don't see how the next xbox will suck if it's true..

Because you probably have a reliable connection that you can use with the console at any time.

It would suck for Microsoft more than anyone though (which is why I don't think the rumour is true) as they'd lose quite a few potential customers who won't be wasting money on a console they can't actually use.

And you know this how, exactly?

He might not, but I bet Microsoft does - I'm sure they've been collecting data from 360 users since it came out and could tell quite a bit more than you'd probably be comfortable with. And I'm sure that data is part of what is driving their business model, not a handful of people complaining on the internet.

He might not, but I bet Microsoft does - I'm sure they've been collecting data from 360 users since it came out and could tell quite a bit more than you'd probably be comfortable with. And I'm sure that data is part of what is driving their business model, not a handful of people complaining on the internet.

Microsoft sure does, and that's exactly why I think the rumour is not true.

Taking advantage of your connection? Sure. Absolutely requiring a connection to play even single player games? We'll see, but I don't think that'd be a smart move.

Yeah, I think they all do that now and I'm sure not always comfortable with it.

Do you even read the conversations going on in your own thread?

Also, the paragraph AFTER what you quoted reads

That said, a caution and a caveat: other sources familiar with the codenamed Durango console have told us that they are still unaware of any Microsoft plans regarding an online requirement. No one has been able to say it's not true and some have speculated that this is required at the operating system level and therefore isn't something Microsoft has to tell all developers or retail partners. Microsoft also has the ability to change this type of requirement seemingly at a moment's notice through changes in firmware or networking infrastructure.

Your article title is misleading at best. This seems to be one source against many. I am also growing tired of negativity for the sake of negativity from you when it comes to Microsoft.

Boogies rage video is getting a lot of views, but his genuine one is better

Quoting this because it was a damn good video to watch. Wish this got posted on the front page instead of "Francis" because all people did was dismiss him and say he was fat. (because apparently, no one could tell) I did like one thing out of the Francis video better though, and that's how true his words were when he said that, if this rumor holds to be true with "always on" being the requirement, that all Sony would have to do is show up.

I feel it's also worth pointing out that many people here are dismissing the whole Adam Orth fiasco along with the rumors, claiming that negative attention is still better than no attention, and that no one is talking about the Playstation... Well, that's not true at all. While I don't work for Microsoft, it doesn't take a damn genius to figure out that things like this aren't what I'd want spread all over the place.

qotsbQv.jpg

I'm still waiting for Microsoft to pull out the big guns honestly, and I'm hoping all this rumor and speculation is proven to be false. Still, the idea that Microsoft is letting people speculate whether they are douche bags or not doesn't seem ideal...

<Snipped>

Still, the idea that Microsoft is letting people speculate whether they are douche bags or not doesn't seem ideal...

MS would be foolish not to gauge reaction prior to implementing this. And it probably is able to be toggled in firmware. This gamble would be bigger than the Modern UI on the desktop gamble. You can work around the latter. This one is all or nothing.

MS isn't going to say anything until the Next Xbox is revealed. They don't have to. And even if we all know they're considering it, they can do a Bill Clinton (deny, deny, deny) because they have the blue dress.

Edited by Anaron

The facts are these, the only thing we have is the use of a marketing term in year old leaked documents that state at the top that anything written is subject to change. No one knows what always on means, jumping to conclusions is what everyone is doing until we finally get some thing from MS.

Having a always on connection option could have zero to do with drm or used games and more to do with keeping your system, apps, games up to date while also allowing the system to start up way faster. Honestly, we had the CEO of gamestop coming out and saying the next Xbox will be good and they've built their whole business on used games. MS also said it has a very strong relationship with it's retail partners as to why GoD has such a delay on adding new titles for digital download. Add this up and if anything then I'm inclined to believe that at least the gamestop higher ups have a clue of what's coming. Until I see them tossing a fit over the next Xbox I don't buy into any of these anti used games and always online drm rumors.

I won't believe one word of this until Microsoft speaks up about it. It's just too ridiculous to be taken literally. There's not a single gaming device (OnLive excluded, for obvious reasons) or platform (i.e. Steam) that takes you out of your games when you're playing just because the internet connection went out; there's no reason to do that and there's certainly no reason for Microsoft to impose this constraint on everything you do with the console at anytime.

The console is likely designed to take advantage of the internet connection at all times, if it's available, but kicking you out of the system when it isn't is just pants-on retarded and not something Microsoft is likely to do.

I won't believe one word of this until Microsoft speaks up about it. It's just too ridiculous to be taken literally. There's not a single gaming device (OnLive excluded, for obvious reasons) or platform (i.e. Steam) that takes you out of your games when you're playing just because the internet connection went out; there's no reason to do that and there's certainly no reason for Microsoft to impose this constraint on everything you do with the console at anytime.

The console is likely designed to take advantage of the internet connection at all times, if it's available, but kicking you out of the system when it isn't is just pants-on retarded and not something Microsoft is likely to do.

This is spot on, I'm sure there will be features that require you be online to work but that doesn't mean you have to be online for everything period. One thing I expect is for gamertag sync, since I expect the next Xbox to use the same core and winrt apis for apps and games the idea of syncing things between devices is a needed feature and it needs a connection online to work.

When we have arcade games that are also on Windows 8 and Windows Phone that then let's you save and continue from there on one of the others you will need a connection to sync that and so on.

Cleaned

Accusing someone of being a troll only makes the situation worse. Report a post and be done with it.

Is it true Games on Demand games boot you out after 10 minutes of no connection?

No idea. The only time I've gone that long without a connection I wasn't home just my GF being annoyed because she couldn't netflix.

basically though. No, your downloaded GOD games can be played even when you're offline AS LONG as you are on the licensed Xbox. if you're playing them on another xbox then the one they are licensed to however you need to be online.

So the rumors continue today...

http://www.vgleaks.c...x-roadmap-2013/

Durango itself will also always be online like any other device (correct with rumors), but it will not be a requirement to play local content and it will not prevent playing used games. Putting in an Xbox 360 disc into Durango will prompt the user to attach the supporting device that is sold separately. By separating the two devices and their functions it will ensure price competitiveness for both pieces of hardware. Microsoft?s delay in announcing these products from April goes more inline with not having a physical set of devices to show (among specification updates), which should be ready by May or June when this information is officially released.

I think this Microsoft on damage control... :laugh:

Is it true Games on Demand games boot you out after 10 minutes of no connection?

No, everything is just rumors and speculation until it's unveiled. I'm not jumping to any conclusions/panic like everyone seems to be. It is does turn out to be always-on, then there's reason to say something.