Best Non-iOS Tablet

Hello,

Is the Nexus 7/10 the best non iOS tablet out there?

Also, are there any benefits going tot he larget Nexus 10 versus the Nexus 7 besides the size?

Thanks,

Crazysah

Yeah, outside of iOS tablets, you're looking at Android tablets (from a popularity standpoint). The Nexus 7/10 are the best, but I'd wait to buy one - as new ones are on the horizon (at least the Nexus 7 successor). The screen is one of the major selling points of the Nexus 10 - it has a very high resolution display. Also, the Nexus 7 is powered by a Tegra 3 (quad-core), while the Nexus 10 is powered by a Exynos 5 (dual-core). Nexus 10 is slightly more powerful, as it has to push more pixels. The Nexus 10 has a rear facing camera, while on the Nexus 7 you only get a front facing camera.

• 3 weeks later...

Nexus 10. If that specifically isn't going to work for some reason, the Transformer Infinity could be good, if you need something that works like a laptop or need extra battery life. If you think pen input would be really useful (for some people it is), then the Galaxy Note 10.1. If you're reading PDFs, some people have reported that the aspect ratio of the Nexus 10 makes it a bit hard, so the iPad aspect ratio is better. If you're just doing that, there are some $250 iPad clones with the same display as the iPad 3 or later, and which come with stock 4.1... that'd only be best in a specific scenario though.

I originally got an acer A500, and it sucks balls. Heavy, slow, unsupported everything... So I got an iPad and it ruled. I also picked up a Nexus 7. Despite it not ruling the app world, Its by far the best tablet device I use in terms of 'just working'

It came locked and it was almost as google supported unlocking the bootloader. Very quick and simple. ROMs are always the latest and smoothest with extra features for the nexus devices that others can't use/take advantage of. Not saying you even have to bother with roms as the stock OS is perfectly acceptable. The feel of a 7 inch tablet is a lot nicer too as its easier to hold & lighter. Taking the page out of apples book it has no expandability however I had no problem getting USB-OTG I to work with a super simple play app.

I use an SGSIIX as a daily driver for a phone, and I went away on vacation and only took the nexus with. Upon returning, now 3 weeks later, I still find my SGSIIX incredibly slow and laggy in comparison to how snappy the nexus was.

My suggestion is you are going to use this as a secondary consumption device, so screw expandability, screw additional ports, screw extra weight and bad battery life. Get something plain and simple. This was my mistake at first. I wanted HDMI out that I never use, I wanted a USB host port when USB-OTG is easier and just as functional. If you are looking android, the Nexus line will give you the best experience. Samsung makes good stuff too. From my trials, the Acer one will give you the worst.

Surface. Awesome UI, Windows-famous device compatibility, full MS Office (the real deal), premium build quality, full size USB port, and microSD slot. Doesn't get better than that.

I would say Acer Iconia w700...with i3-2375M processor. I got this for my wife after carefully waging options, and this was a winner without even trying. It is a surface like tablet, but with 10 hours battery and 1080p IPS screen.

The W700 is significantly more expensive. And I'd be concerned about an i3 getting hot enough to be uncomfortable to hold.

Surface. Awesome UI, Windows-famous device compatibility, full MS Office (the real deal), premium build quality, full size USB port, and microSD slot. Doesn't get better than that.

The Surface RT has a terrible screen, the Surface Pro has terrible battery life.

The W700 is significantly more expensive. And I'd be concerned about an i3 getting hot enough to be uncomfortable to hold.

The Surface RT has a terrible screen, the Surface Pro has terrible battery life.

W700 based on i3_2375M is much cheaper than Surface pro(around 400 Euros cheaper) since it was 600 Euros, and no it does not get too hot, for things You can do while holding it, it is warmish. You can feel it is warmer than Your hands, but that is it. This version does not come with that clunky dock, which was the main negative point of reviewers all around for Iconia, instead it comes with a keyboard attached leathery sleeve, which is rather nice.

ceHI62KNN08g.jpg

I really, really like the Xperia Tablet Z. One of the first tablets with a Snapdragon (S4 Pro). It's blazing fast (probably fastest available), the thinnest and lightest 10" tablet, has a great 1920x1200 display and it's completely waterproof!

• Like 2

The problem with Android is the apps or the lack of good Tablet optimised apps. It's less evident on the Nexus 7 because of the resolution, it's like a big phone. But on the Nexus 10, it's in your face.

Carefull, the Nexus 10 do not have any memory card to boost storage. And i'm not quite sure the GPU is powerfull enough to push all those pixels.

Surface RT beats them all.

How so?

I think the only leg up it has on the iPad and Nexus tablets is expandable storage. Otherwise in terms of resolution, battery life, app selection, price, etc... it's far inferior.

RTs screen is very good, battery life is good (and on par with the Nexus), price is just right. Far inferior, is that a joke? Only leg up? I disagree.

• Larger/widescreen display (16:9) orientation
  • Best cloud/social integration
  • Better browser
  • USB/Windows Driver DB
  • Business integration/Office/Sharepoint
  • Best UX/Touch = Fun
  • Great build quality
  • Expandable storage
  • Metro Apps
  • Better multi-tasking
  • Snap-views
  • Windows Explorer/Networking

How so?

I think the only leg up it has on the iPad and Nexus tablets is expandable storage. Otherwise in terms of resolution, battery life, app selection, price, etc... it's far inferior.

Last I checked, Android's app selection for tablets is even worse than Windows 8.

Surface RT screen is fine, it's not terrible, it's just 1366x768. That does't make it terrible.

And Surface Pro I get 5-6 hours of battery, that's pretty good for a Core i5 level system.

Last I checked, Android's app selection for tablets is even worse than Windows 8.

Yeah for specific tablet apps, Android kind of sucks. You can still scale non-native apps though. It's tolerable on the Nexus 7.

Regardless, iOS has everybody destroyed in that department.

Well in terms of resolution, it does have a terrible screen.

Yes, it has a low-ish pixel density, but Cleartype makes it look fantastic. It only starts looking bad if I hold it 6 inches from my face, at arm's length it looks very sharp, maybe not "Retina" sharp but it's far from bad.

I have been using Nexus 7 & I am really pleased with the offerings. I wish it had a rear camera but I am not missing it much. It brings pure android experience & the updates keep running in at a smooth interval.

~4300mAH battery does a decent job of running the device for nearly 2 days with active usage. The screen does not wash out when held at an angle & runs a decent 210+ ppi. I wish it had a gig more of ram but it performs decently at 1GB offering.

My real complain is with out of the box support for certain movie file formats. But I overcame that by installing MX Player.