Two women tortured and beheaded for using witchcraft to murder teacher

Two women have been tortured for three days and then beheaded in a remote village in Papua New Guinea after being accused of witchcraft.

A team of police rushed to the scene - but were forced to stand by and watch the victims being decapitated with axes as locals refused to let them come to their aid.

A large crowd kept the police at bay within sight of the clearing where the women were lying trussed up on the ground.

Villagers on the island of Bougainville ignored orders to let them go, and instead set about them with axes and knives.

The women, from the village of Tandorima, were accused of using sorcery to kill a popular schoolteacher who died a few weeks ago.

'We couldn't do anything to help these two women,' said Central Bougainville police chief Herman Birengka.

'My men were threatened when they went to the area to negotiate the release of the women. We were helpless. We couldn't do anything to help them because of the threats made against us.'

He said the mob had burned down houses in the women's village, forcing their relatives to flee into the jungle.

'These killings were both barbaric and senseless,' Mr Birengka said.

more

This is a classical example of (direct) democracy - a rule of the majority of people, a mob rule.

Exactly. Just because something is supported by the majority does not mean that it's right or proper. That's why modern democracies have systems in place that respect knowledge, intelligence and procedure, rather than simply enforcing majority rule. Unfortunately that leads to situations where governments act against the interests of the country for the wrong reasons.

Exactly. Just because something is supported by the majority does not mean that it's right or proper. That's why modern democracies have systems in place that respect knowledge, intelligence and procedure, rather than simply enforcing majority rule. Unfortunately that leads to situations where governments act against the interests of the country for the wrong reasons.

Yep. Inherently, democracy is neither good or bad.

Gang rape, lynching, or mob law with the death penalty being applied are its extreme bad examples.

Or people living their lives based on religious and superstitious claims.

I was responding to the claim of democracy... You're just trolling. (And of course it worked. LOL)

No, what I mean is in SOME ways Anarchy is like a small-scale Democracy. In this case the problem occurred in a village/small town, hence the though that Anarchy might be a fit, as well.

This is a classical example of (direct) democracy - a rule of the majority of people, a mob rule.

No, this is an example of murder like the death penalty, but that's just my opinion. Anything can be done via a majority or a minority. Everything is a dictatorship of one or many, and of varying degree. We all pick our BELIEFS, wherever they come from, correct and incorrect in anything is simply a belief at some point. There are outsiders that look at us the same way. Where did your beliefs come from, and why did they become that way? As far as the death penalty goes, why kill potential hard laborers who may want to end their life anyway?

If I could collect poisonous bugs and have them power my car with a 99.9999% safety record, well I would!

If I could collect poisonous bugs and have them power my car with a 99.9999% safety record, well I would!

That sounds like an idea whose time needs to come! How would it work? Would more concentrated venom's provide more power (like widow venom vs. gila monster venom, for example)? I like it! I can feel the sensory hairs on my tarantulas perking up!