2014 Maserati Ghibli

First Maserati with diesel engine

Several hours after the first images surfaced the Internet, Maserati has released official photos and details about the upcoming 2014 Ghibli.

It will be showcased later on this month at 2013 Auto Shanghai and represents a more compact and sportier alternative to the larger Quattroporte. It will go on sale at the beginning of next year and will be available with two V6 3.0-liter turbocharged engines and for the first time in Maserati's history, with a diesel engine in the form of a 3.0-liter V6 turbodiesel.

These three engines will be connected exclusively to an eight-speed automatic gearbox which will work together with a rear-wheel drive setup or the new optional 'Q4" all-wheel drive system.

The 2014 Maserati Ghibli will be an important model in the company's objective to sell 50,000 units annually. More details will be released after the car debuts in Shanghai.

1005758904778278909.jpg

2041008285878385793.jpg

1920079741380311850.jpg

Wow looks good actually. Rear hints of BMW. I am digging those interiors.

not only rear but front as well, looks alot like the 118i, only better styled.

1er_3doors_118i.jpg

Diesel?!?!? :( What's happened to Maserati?

They wanted better performance and gas mileage in the car and saw this as the easiest way to achieve it over a standard ICE. Do you have a problem with turbo diesels? They can make crazy amounts power and torque while still getting better gas mileage than a standard ICE at the same size.

Diesel?!?!? :( What's happened to Maserati?

What's wrong with a turbo diesel? You'll get insane amounts of torque - and torque = fun, it's what puts a smile on your face.

Interior is too much like BMW - that's not a good thing, I'm not a fan of BMW interiors. Exterior is interesting - not sure if I like or if it's just too bland...

Simply put, the energy conversion efficiency of diesel is higher than that of benzene.

There's about 15% more energy in a litre of diesel compared to a litre of gas fuel.

I like the exterior but that interior just does on look right. The red just doesn't fit.

The "analog" clock in the dash is just stupid.

Here's my verdict :devil:

Overall, it's a very original car.

However...there are some design solutions (not extact parts) that have been borrowed from the others. Namely, the front lights are very Audi infuenced (the sinister look) and those stripes in the front that "connect" the front lights with the grille can be found on the new BMW 3er, albeit being thinner and less expressed.

The rear lights remind me of a Ford.

I'm least impressed by the interior.The gearbox handle was taken out of a BMW. And that giant screen in the middle with two knobs just doesn't fit there. It looks like an aftermarket upgrade.

They wanted better performance and gas mileage in the car and saw this as the easiest way to achieve it over a standard ICE. Do you have a problem with turbo diesels? They can make crazy amounts power and torque while still getting better gas mileage than a standard ICE at the same size.

A diesel engine will be heavier than its petrol equivalent, which will affect its handling somewhat. How many really fast cars out there use diesel engines (I've yet to see a diesel as the fastest engine available in a car)? I'm a bit of a petrolhead, always have been, and every diesel I've ever driven (and I've driven a couple of really powerful diesels) deliver their power in very different ways to a petrol, which in my opinion is just not as fun or nice to drive. Yes, you get loads of torque, but you also, in the vast majority of cars, get much less power in the low end of the rev range.

It'll be interesting to see the figures for their engines though.

The only reason I personally think they've put a diesel engine in the line up is to satisfy the "businessman" customer - diesels are far more attractive company cars.

It kinda looks like the Tesla model S from the side and the rear has Audi written all over it with those taillights.

A diesel engine will be heavier than its petrol equivalent, which will affect its handling somewhat. How many really fast cars out there use diesel engines (I've yet to see a diesel as the fastest engine available in a car)? I'm a bit of a petrolhead, always have been, and every diesel I've ever driven (and I've driven a couple of really powerful diesels) deliver their power in very different ways to a petrol, which in my opinion is just not as fun or nice to drive. Yes, you get loads of torque, but you also, in the vast majority of cars, get much less power in the low end of the rev range.

It'll be interesting to see the figures for their engines though.

The only reason I personally think they've put a diesel engine in the line up is to satisfy the "businessman" customer - diesels are far more attractive company cars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_R10_TDI

This car literally won until it was retired on lemans... that's diesel power for you.