Bigelow Aerospace updates: thread 2

DocM    12,643

NASA has said they'd like to transition to commercial stations, and Bigelow isn't the only game in town. 

A small station, more of an Outpost, can be built up of Cygnus cargo ship segments. This is being developed under NASA's NextSTEP program,

https://www.orbitalatk.com/news-room/feature-stories/NEXTStep/default.aspx

and Axiom Space has a concept of their own which could be used with Bigelow or Cygnus segments or on its own .  Axiom was created by ex-NASA ISS people.

https://www.axiomspace.com

But OTOH, the BFS has more internal volume than ISS anyhow. A station ship.

• Like 1

Unobscured Vision    2,138

still don't understand BAC's deal on using ULA for launching. SpaceX is cheaper by a factor of TEN to 100. Once BFR is up and running they'll be cheaper by 500%. That's five hundred percent. 

We've gone from several BILLION dollars (and outright impossibility) to a few million dollars worth of fuel, the personnel overhead, and the Insurance in the span of a decade folks -- and they're seriously not going to take advantage of it?

I'm one of BAC's biggest fanboys on the face of the Earth but I fail to see where the logic is in their decision-making process.

Ya know what? If I had the money I'd buy BAC myself and do a much better job of making the decisions there, because clearly there's some crap going on that ain't very healthy. Those people are moving at a god-awfully slow pace, making deals & decisions that ought not to be made with all the wrong Industry players and Bigelow himself just creeps me out anymore.

Beittil    365

I still wonder whom they want to have pay for all of this. I read stuff about them wanting to sell it to NASA, but other than that... meh. ULA isn't going to be donating rockets for no money and Bigelow might be inclined to build a BA330 out of his own pocket, but no way he will purchase a launch for it without having somebody pay for it. I just don't see that happening.

Also... that Dragon in the animation, lol. No trunk & thrusters at totally the wrong location.

• Like 1

Unobscured Vision    2,138

Augh ... 500% ... my brain sometimes. I meant 50%. Sheesh. :no: