All USB Ports have suddenly stopped working

Zimmyantz

Hi Neowinians,

Hopefully your pearls of wisdom can help me out once again.

On Friday night, I left my computer running while i slept, for updates to complete etc...(Done this many times).

On Saturday I went to use the PC and noticed my G5 and G15 Mouse/Keyboard were not lit up in the normal way, as if they were not plugged in. I decided to reboot, to see if that would fix the problem, unfortunately not, everything usb, including external hard drive and wireless adapter are not being picked up.

Decided that their may have been a power surge on the USB, so unplugged everything, left it for a few hours and retried, same result, nothing. Luckily I have a PS2 keyboard in reserve for just this occasion.

I then decided to see if a Windows 7 reinstall would cure the problem as I only really have that on my Primary. This also had no effect and the USB's are still not working.

OK I said, lets dismantle the PC and re-build, maybe something has some out, completely dis-assembled it, re-assembled it, tried boot up and again the USB's are not working.

This time, google searched the issue, on advise, tried to see if he registry key was set to 3 for the USBSTOR, as it was.

Also checked BIOS to ensure that USB was enabled, it is.

There was talks to a virus possibly doing this, but would the OS Reinstall not have hit that?

Next step is an RMA, so if anyone thinks they might know the issue, here are the PC Specs:

Windows 7 64bit

i5 3570K running at 4.2 (but have tried clear CMOS thinking it might cure my problem), so now at stock.

Noctua Heatsink

2gb Radeon 7950HD

8gb Corsair Vengeance Ram

MSI Z77A G45 Motherboard

OCZ Agility 3 SSD

Any help is appreciated

To Add, this includes the front USB Ports on the case.

Zimmyantz

As a side note, the USB's still give power as I was able to charge my phone....

Haggis

Try this:

Go to: Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware Tab > Device Manager

navigate down to USB Root HUB (all of them) > Right Click > Properties > Power Management Tab

Un check "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

Retry your USB device...It should work now...

And this:

Refresh the USB Stack

a. Bring up - Device Manager ?

b. Expand USB Serial Controllers - RIGHT CLICK on EVERYTHING and UNINSTALL

all except the category itself.

c. REBOOT the computer.

also check USB is enabled in Bios

Zimmyantz

Will give this a try when I get home and let you know.

+LostCat

Will give this a try when I get home and let you know.

I'd check that you have the latest UEFI code first if it's persisting on a reinstall (maybe you did but you didn't mention it)

I would suspect a hardware issue if it's persisting on a reinstall but USB3 isn't natively supported by Windows 7...your drivers could've been screwed up but I doubt it would affect the USB2 ports. (Stranger things have happened with old BIOSes, so who knows.)

Phouchg

Flash latest BIOS, if possible.

Try any Linux LiveCD (USB 2.0 ports, of course). Will see immediately if it's hardware or Windows.

• Like 1
Zimmyantz

Phouchq,

Are you saying to install Linux, boot into that and see if usb works? (Never installed or used Linux)

xendrome

does your USB keyboard work at the BIOS level? If so forget Linux, it's a Windows issue, if not, it's a hardware issue.

firey

Phouchq,

Are you saying to install Linux, boot into that and see if usb works? (Never installed or used Linux)

No, he is saying use a live cd and see if the usb works. No need to install anything.

Zimmyantz

USB's are definitely NOT working in BIOS, is the board knackered?

+warwagon

in the Bios a USB keyboard should at least function. Sounds like a knackered board. But I would recommend unplugging it the power, disconnecting the power supply from the MB, removing the battery and then hitting the power button a few times and then reconnecting everything and trying it again. If that doesn't work I think your board needs an RMA.

Haggis

did u check it is enabled in thr bios?

Zimmyantz

Warwagon, i've done all that except take the battery off the motherboard....should i deffo try taking the battery out as well?

+warwagon

Ya I would try that.

Azies

did u check it is enabled in thr bios?

................................ Do you think that if it wasn't enabled in BIOS, he'd be getting power from them? All these suggestions are basically like throwing darts at a dartboard and suggesting that idea next.

OP, the board is screwed, RMA it.

• Like 1
+LostCat

OP, the board is screwed, RMA it.

I would agree with you if hes updated the BIOS (UEFI code I mentioned.) I had an issue on my X58 very recently that was messing with the USB and fixed in an update.

Still, most likely needs RMA yes.

fusi0n

yeah.. as stated.. i second the RMA =)

Zimmyantz

OK, so I have sent the RMA request and await the results.

In the mean time, the only thing I had not checked are the power options in Device Manager, so I went to take a look...no power tab on Windows 7.

OK I thought, will go into main power options in control panel, when i click..nothing happens...

Tried the .cpl from run and got the same.

Thought ok, ill check services in administrative tools......BOOM, WTF?!

All my services except a few are set to disabled......

Thought i would look at my work laptop (also Windows 7) and all of those are set to Manual except a few.....

Anyone know why this may be?

Zimmyantz

Scratch the above, sorted that part...still getting power from USB's, but not recognising anything thats plugged in.

Hopefully its RMA without a problem, only 8 months old....

srbeen

Drivers have done this to me before, as well as a corrupt CMOS. If drivers are good (no ! ) clear the CMOS and reboot, bet it'll find new devices.

Also burning and booting a live disc like ubuntu should work with USB ports as well.

Zimmyantz

already tried that mate, no joy :(

JustGeorge

Tried deleting all USB controllers in the device manager and rebooting?

Zimmyantz

yeah, usb is not even working in Bios. They all however, give power to charge.

Hum

OK, so I have sent the RMA request and await the results.

In the mean time, the only thing I had not checked are the power options in Device Manager, so I went to take a look...no power tab on Windows 7.

OK I thought, will go into main power options in control panel, when i click..nothing happens...

Tried the .cpl from run and got the same.

Thought ok, ill check services in administrative tools......BOOM, WTF?!

All my services except a few are set to disabled......

Thought i would look at my work laptop (also Windows 7) and all of those are set to Manual except a few.....

Anyone know why this may be?

V-I-R-U-S

Zimmyantz

Hum, done a clean wipe, ran about 5 different malware, spyware, av and found nothing.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Copernic
      Ventoy 1.0.35
      by Razvan Serea

Ventoy is an open source tool to create bootable USB drive for ISO/WIM/IMG/VHD(x)/EFI files. With Ventoy, you don't need to format the disk over and over, you just need to copy the ISO/WIM/IMG/VHD(x)EFI files to the USB drive and boot them directly. You can copy many files at a time and ventoy will give you a boot menu to select them. Both Legacy BIOS and UEFI are supported in the same way. Most type of OS supported (Windows/WinPE/Linux/Unix/Vmware/Xen...)

Ventoy features:

100% open source Simple to use Fast (limited only by the speed of copying iso file) Directly boot from ISO/WIM/IMG/VHD(x)/EFI file, no extraction needed Legacy + UEFI supported in the same way UEFI Secure Boot supported (since 1.0.07+) Persistence supported (since 1.0.11+) MBR and GPT partition style supported (1.0.15+) WIM files boot supported (Legacy + UEFI) (1.0.12+) IMG files boot supported (Legacy + UEFI) (1.0.19+) Auto installation supported (1.0.09+) File injection supported (1.0.16+) ISO files larger than 4GB supported Native boot menu style for Legacy & UEFI Most type of OS supported(Windows/WinPE/Linux/Unix/Vmware/Xen...), 550+ iso files tested Not only boot but also complete installation process ISO files can be listed in List mode/TreeView mode Linux vDisk boot supported (vdi/vhd/raw) "Ventoy Compatible" concept Plugin Framework Menu Alias/Menu Style/Customized Menu supported USB drive write-protected support USB normal use unaffected Data nondestructive during version upgrade No need to update Ventoy when a new distro is released Ventoy 1.0.35 changelog:

Display a tip when scanning files.

Optimization for booting TinyCore series distros.

Fix a bug about invalid iso file size false positive in i386-pc

Optimization for vtoyboot when secureboot is enabled.

New iso support

Arcabit Rescue Disk (arca-rescue.iso) (Legacy) See https://www.ventoy.net/en/doc_news.html for detail.

Download: Ventoy 1.0.35 | 10.3 MB (Open Source)
      Download: Ventoy Live CD | 43.3 MB
      Link: Ventoy Home Page | Project Page @GitHub

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By Copernic
      FlashBoot 3.3g
      by Razvan Serea

FlashBoot enables you to install an instance of the Windows OS onto a USB storage device, empowering you to boot any PC from that device. With FlashBoot, you'll be able to walk about with a fully-functional installation of Windows 10 or 8.1 in your pocket, ready to go under any circumstance. Need your favorite app, document, game, or browser when you're sitting in front of a strange computer? Just break out your USB device prepared with FlashBoot!

FlashBoot Free can install fresh copy of Windows to USB thumbdrive, and FlashBoot Pro can create bootable clone of your existing Windows installation (including apps, settings, documents, games, browsers etc).

Also FlashBoot Pro can create installable clone of Windows 7, Windows 8.x or Windows 10 which can be used to instantly copy all your apps, settings, documents, games and browsers from old computer to a new computer (even with dissimilar hardware), move operating system from HDD to SSD, move OS from/to RAID array, copy OS between virtual machine and real hardware, or switch Windows boot method between UEFI and non-UEFI. This feature can be used to gain unpartitioned disk space for dual-boot configurations by reinstalling your OEM copy of Windows in-place. Additionally, this self-extracting backup of Windows will be of good use in the case of next ransomware virus attack, failed Windows update, or accidently deleted file.

Using FlashBoot, you can install Windows 7 to new laptop or new PC with no problems. (Due to lack of builting USB 3.0 support, installation of plain Windows 7 to new computer fails right on the first screen: mouse, keyboard and boot device are inaccessible to plain Windows 7.) FlashBoot can prepare Windows setup on USB thumbdrive with slipstreamed drivers, so you can quickly and easily install Windows 7 to any new computer, even Kaby Lake and Ryzen platforms. Besides of builtin USB 3.0, NVMe and RAID drivers, FlashBoot can also slipstream user-supplied drivers.

And finally, FlashBoot facilitates installation of older operating systems, such as Windows XP, from USB thumdrive, and running minified version of it (known as BartPE) from USB thumbdrive. You can even use FlashBoot to build self-extracting standalone EXE files that contain exactly what you want, for rapid deployment whenever you need it. If capacity of USB thumdrive was reduced by other tools, then FlashBoot will automatically recover it to full capacity.

Features available only in FlashBoot Pro ($ 29.95)

Create bootable clone of Windows 10 or Windows 8.1 on USB thumbdrive, which will boot independently from main OS on HDD/SSD Create installable clone of Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 10 with optional driver integration (USB 3.0, NVMe, AHCI/RAID or user-supplied drivers) Prepare USB thumbdrive for installation of Windows 7, Windows 10, Windows 8/8.1 or Windows Vista to internal HDD/SSD with driver integration (USB 3.0, NVMe, AHCI/RAID or user-supplied drivers) Prepare USB thumbdrive for installation of Windows XP to internal HDD/SSD Install mini version of Windows XP (BartPE) to USB thumbdrive, which will boot independently from main OS on HDD/SSD Create self-extracting archives (USB formatters with predefined content) Changes in FlashBoot 3.3g:

Fixed serious driver integration regression/bug which was introduced in version 3.3f. All users of version 3.3f are recommended to update to version 3.3g. (Binary file for version 3.3f was replaced as well.)

Download: FlashBoot 3.3g | 49.5 MB (Free, paid upgrade available)
      Download: FlashBoot 3.3fg Portable | 49.1 MB
      Links: FlashBoot Website | Changelog | FlashBoot User Guide (PDF)

• By Copernic
      Ventoy 1.0.34
      by Razvan Serea

Ventoy is an open source tool to create bootable USB drive for ISO/WIM/IMG/VHD(x)/EFI files. With Ventoy, you don't need to format the disk over and over, you just need to copy the ISO/WIM/IMG/VHD(x)EFI files to the USB drive and boot them directly. You can copy many files at a time and ventoy will give you a boot menu to select them. Both Legacy BIOS and UEFI are supported in the same way. Most type of OS supported (Windows/WinPE/Linux/Unix/Vmware/Xen...)

Ventoy features:

100% open source Simple to use Fast (limited only by the speed of copying iso file) Directly boot from ISO/WIM/IMG/VHD(x)/EFI file, no extraction needed Legacy + UEFI supported in the same way UEFI Secure Boot supported (since 1.0.07+) Persistence supported (since 1.0.11+) MBR and GPT partition style supported (1.0.15+) WIM files boot supported (Legacy + UEFI) (1.0.12+) IMG files boot supported (Legacy + UEFI) (1.0.19+) Auto installation supported (1.0.09+) File injection supported (1.0.16+) ISO files larger than 4GB supported Native boot menu style for Legacy & UEFI Most type of OS supported(Windows/WinPE/Linux/Unix/Vmware/Xen...), 550+ iso files tested Not only boot but also complete installation process ISO files can be listed in List mode/TreeView mode Linux vDisk boot supported (vdi/vhd/raw) "Ventoy Compatible" concept Plugin Framework Menu Alias/Menu Style/Customized Menu supported USB drive write-protected support USB normal use unaffected Data nondestructive during version upgrade No need to update Ventoy when a new distro is released Ventoy 1.0.34 changelog:

vtoyboot-1.0.8 release.

vdiskchain-1.2 release.

Display a warning message if ventoy.json was mistakenly placed in the EFI partition.

Display a warning message if ISO file has an invalid size.

Fix a bug when booting vdisk file with secure boot enabled (issue #714)

Update VentoyLiveCD from i686 to x86_64

Optimization for boot slax distro

Add image_blacklist option.

New iso support (total 620+)

AG-10-Bliss-OS-android_x86_64-202010071034_k-kernel-5.8-si-next-rmi_m-q_dgc-q-x86-generic_gms_cros-wv.iso (Legacy + UEFI) Bliss-v11.13--OFFICIAL-20201113-1525_x86_64_k-k4.19.122-ax86-ga-rmi_m-20.1.0-llvm90_dgc-t3_gms_intelhd.iso (Legacy + UEFI) See https://www.ventoy.net/en/doc_news.html for detail.

Download: Ventoy 1.0.34 | 10.3 MB (Open Source)
      Download: Ventoy Live CD | 43.3 MB

• By Copernic
      FlashBoot 3.3f
      by Razvan Serea

FlashBoot enables you to install an instance of the Windows OS onto a USB storage device, empowering you to boot any PC from that device. With FlashBoot, you'll be able to walk about with a fully-functional installation of Windows 10 or 8.1 in your pocket, ready to go under any circumstance. Need your favorite app, document, game, or browser when you're sitting in front of a strange computer? Just break out your USB device prepared with FlashBoot!

FlashBoot Free can install fresh copy of Windows to USB thumbdrive, and FlashBoot Pro can create bootable clone of your existing Windows installation (including apps, settings, documents, games, browsers etc).

Also FlashBoot Pro can create installable clone of Windows 7, Windows 8.x or Windows 10 which can be used to instantly copy all your apps, settings, documents, games and browsers from old computer to a new computer (even with dissimilar hardware), move operating system from HDD to SSD, move OS from/to RAID array, copy OS between virtual machine and real hardware, or switch Windows boot method between UEFI and non-UEFI. This feature can be used to gain unpartitioned disk space for dual-boot configurations by reinstalling your OEM copy of Windows in-place. Additionally, this self-extracting backup of Windows will be of good use in the case of next ransomware virus attack, failed Windows update, or accidently deleted file.

Using FlashBoot, you can install Windows 7 to new laptop or new PC with no problems. (Due to lack of builting USB 3.0 support, installation of plain Windows 7 to new computer fails right on the first screen: mouse, keyboard and boot device are inaccessible to plain Windows 7.) FlashBoot can prepare Windows setup on USB thumbdrive with slipstreamed drivers, so you can quickly and easily install Windows 7 to any new computer, even Kaby Lake and Ryzen platforms. Besides of builtin USB 3.0, NVMe and RAID drivers, FlashBoot can also slipstream user-supplied drivers.

And finally, FlashBoot facilitates installation of older operating systems, such as Windows XP, from USB thumdrive, and running minified version of it (known as BartPE) from USB thumbdrive. You can even use FlashBoot to build self-extracting standalone EXE files that contain exactly what you want, for rapid deployment whenever you need it. If capacity of USB thumdrive was reduced by other tools, then FlashBoot will automatically recover it to full capacity.

Features available only in FlashBoot Pro ($ 29.95)

Create bootable clone of Windows 10 or Windows 8.1 on USB thumbdrive, which will boot independently from main OS on HDD/SSD Create installable clone of Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 10 with optional driver integration (USB 3.0, NVMe, AHCI/RAID or user-supplied drivers) Prepare USB thumbdrive for installation of Windows 7, Windows 10, Windows 8/8.1 or Windows Vista to internal HDD/SSD with driver integration (USB 3.0, NVMe, AHCI/RAID or user-supplied drivers) Prepare USB thumbdrive for installation of Windows XP to internal HDD/SSD Install mini version of Windows XP (BartPE) to USB thumbdrive, which will boot independently from main OS on HDD/SSD Create self-extracting archives (USB formatters with predefined content) Changes in FlashBoot 3.3f:

Added clearer error indication for special condition when WIM file exceeds 4Gb file size limit for FAT32 filesystem on the target USB storage device.

Fixed "pathname is ill-formed" error (for virtual filesystem inside WIM file) which occured for dot and double-dot path components. This error was related to slipstreaming of some third-party drivers.

Implemented ordered directory creation during interpretation of INF files (driver slipstreaming).

Download: FlashBoot 3.3f | 49.1 MB (Free, paid upgrade available)
      Download: FlashBoot 3.3f Portable | 48.6 MB
      Links: FlashBoot Website | Changelog | FlashBoot User Guide (PDF)

• By Copernic
      Ventoy 1.0.33
      by Razvan Serea

Ventoy features:

100% open source Simple to use Fast (limited only by the speed of copying iso file) Directly boot from ISO/WIM/IMG/VHD(x)/EFI file, no extraction needed Legacy + UEFI supported in the same way UEFI Secure Boot supported (since 1.0.07+) Persistence supported (since 1.0.11+) MBR and GPT partition style supported (1.0.15+) WIM files boot supported (Legacy + UEFI) (1.0.12+) IMG files boot supported (Legacy + UEFI) (1.0.19+) Auto installation supported (1.0.09+) File injection supported (1.0.16+) ISO files larger than 4GB supported Native boot menu style for Legacy & UEFI Most type of OS supported(Windows/WinPE/Linux/Unix/Vmware/Xen...), 550+ iso files tested Not only boot but also complete installation process ISO files can be listed in List mode/TreeView mode Linux vDisk boot supported (vdi/vhd/raw) "Ventoy Compatible" concept Plugin Framework Menu Alias/Menu Style/Customized Menu supported USB drive write-protected support USB normal use unaffected Data nondestructive during version upgrade No need to update Ventoy when a new distro is released Ventoy 1.0.33 changelog:

Add support for Keyboard layout F5 Tools ---> Keyboard Layouts Add support for boot Linux vDisk file from other bootloaders. Notes Add persistence support for Kali/CloneZilla Fix a bug when using workaround for Legacy BIOS access limitation in GPT partition style Fix a bug when using Ventoy2Disk.sh -l (PR #703) New iso support (total 600+)

Clover-5128-X64.iso (UEFI) austrumi64-4.3.5.iso (Legacy + UEFI) slacko64-7.0.iso (Legacy + UEFI) bionicpup32-8.0-uefi.iso (Legacy + UEFI) ldiag_4.37.0_linux.iso (Legacy + UEFI) LinuxRa1n-V3.4_Ultimate.iso (Legacy + UEFI) checkra1n-0.12.1_linux_live.iso (Legacy + UEFI) ubuntu-20.10-live-server-arm64.iso (ARM64 UEFI) ubuntu-20.04.1-live-server-arm64.iso (ARM64 UEFI) ubuntu-18.04.5-server-arm64.iso (ARM64 UEFI) See https://www.ventoy.net/en/doc_news.html for detail.

Download: Ventoy 1.0.33 | 10.3 MB (Open Source)
      Download: Ventoy Live CD | 40.5 MB