Upgrading a hard drive to Windows 7 Pro

From your earlier post about it coming as "refurbished" maybe the internals where changed, it`s a mystery :dontgetit:

That's what I was thinking -- I do believe that the hard drive, at least was swapped out, and a new 'Asus' ? OEM recovery partition was put in.

My past computers, I had always made a file of the latest working drivers and kept them ready in a folder.

In case of whatever.

I have e-mailed Asus -- I hope they can clear up the mystery of why my Asus laptop is not recognized as an Asus.

That's all a bit weird, maybe you're just working off the wrong laptop model number? e.g. maybe the Asus model sticker's text is rubbed out or something. Or somehow it's straight up incorrect.

Only other idea I have, maybe try just entering the first part of the model number into the Asus support website & see if that comes up? e.g. my old-ish laptop is a Asus F8SP-X1, but the "-X1" just signifies the OS the laptop came with (I think). On the Asus support website I need to enter "F8SP" for my laptop drivers to come up. May be worth a shot?

In any case you can definitely pull the drivers, or at least get an idea of which drivers you need, from your current Windows install.

I registered my laptop, and the Asus website recognized my serial number as correct.

I can only guess that something in the recovery partition installed some wrong ID.

Who knows.

There are ways to trick Windows into finding this information. Not sure if that's where Hum is going to go next, but it's against the rules. Just heading that off ;)

Yeah I know all bout those methods, just wasn't going to mention them on here.

Also to get the drivers, you could (if it works) plug into router via cable and try through windows update to find them, as most of the time (99% in my experience) Windows 7 will always install the onboard nic, but not always install the wireless, even on older hardware it has always installed the wired interface connection.

If there is a recovery partition on the old drive, check on there to see if it has the drivers needed, as most of the time, they are supplied in folder on there, can be sometimes hidden though.

Received this response from Asus:

For your problem, please download the ASUS Live Update Utility from the link below, it will remind you all the ASUS drivers you need, here is the link:

http://support.asus.com.cn/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=352&m=N55SL&os=30&ft=14&f_name=LiveUpdate_Win7_64_Z307.zip#LiveUpdate_Win7_64_Z307.zip

To make the Live Update work,you need to install the ATK driver first, here is the link?

http://support.asus.com.cn/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=352&m=N55SL&os=30&ft=14&f_name=ATKPackage_Win7_64_Z100014.zip#ATKPackage_Win7_64_Z100014.zip

If you need other drivers, please see the details from the link below:

http://support.asus.com.cn/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=N55SL&hashedid=6VrubKXvAgF9Uh9w

Will try ! :wacko: