Rumor: Xbox 720 always-online false, is backwards compatible

This rumor was also not denied by Microsoft so it must be true?

/s

This rumour isn't negative. It isn't damaging the brand. Positive rumour you let ride, it creates positive hype. Negative ones you don't. The always-on rumour has had a disastrous effect on the Xbox brand.

I missed that WinRT line. That means something doesn't add up! The WinRT Framework is not the metro aspect of W8, thats the ModernUI. The WinRT Framework is the instruction sets in the Windows Kernal to work with ARM. Which means the new Xbox would be ARM. I actually call BS on this.

WinRT is not limited to ARM, you are thinking Windows RT.

This rumour isn't negative. It isn't damaging the brand. Positive rumour you let ride, it creates positive hype. Negative ones you don't. The always-on rumour has had a disastrous effect on the Xbox brand.

They don't comment on rumors either good or bad, that's their policy.

It was exactly through an emulator. The patches you see were the specifics which ensured the games ran stable with the emulator. Although, if the specs are true, the Durango won't have enough power to emulate a triple core Power PC cpu. Unfortunately it just won't happen. That's why they'll be looking at SoC. It'll be a far cheaper solution which'll give the engineers less headaches.

I missed that WinRT line. That means something doesn't add up! The WinRT Framework is not the metro aspect of W8, thats the ModernUI. The WinRT Framework is the instruction sets in the Windows Kernal to work with ARM. Which means the new Xbox would be ARM. I actually call BS on this.

Well I was looking at it this morning and to me it could be possible:

Xbox X360 NextXbox

1 core CPU 3 core CPU. 8 core CPU

1hardware thread. 6 hardware threads. 16 hardware threads

2 software threads. 12 software threads. 32 software threads

.08 teraFLOPS. .36 teraFLOPS. 1.2 teraFLOPS (could be more)

64MB 512MB 8GB

It might be possible

The problem is it isn't Always Online that's the problem, but the community's/media's assumption it means DRM.

You can't just "re-compile" a game for different CPU architecture, thats a insane statement. A game engine would have to re-wrote with all new instruction sets to work with a new CPU architecture. Memory handling would have to be re-wrote... the list goes on.

Uh, you can if you're writing in a higher level language like C, all that would have to be changed is any hand written assembly code. Even memory management should be abstracted away to a large extent.

The problem is it isn't Always Online that's the problem, but the community's/media's assumption it means DRM.

That's exactly what it would be. There really is no other reason to have an always on connection for games.

Botht he NExt xbox and the PS4 will be always on and always connected. Well the PS4 will be the next xbox is rumored to be.

There's also very uncomfirmed rumors that have also been countered by rumors of the opposite that seems more reliable that it it will have connection required.