Nexus 4 - cannot sync contacts or control calls via bluetooth?

I recently jumped over to android having most recently been on WP8 and iOS. I figured the Nexus, being googles own device, would be a great one to start with.

I can pair my phone with my car bluetooth system, but it will not sync contacts. At all. No matter how often I try. Additionally, I cannot use the car controls to start/end calls, the only thing I can do is get audio so I have to initiate/end calls by the handset.

This is an absolute deal breaker. The most I can find is a lot of other users having the same problem but no solution. Had anyone been able to get around this?

If I cannot do such a basic thing such as this I am afraid the Nexus will have to go back, I rely too much on this feature for work.

• 4 weeks later...

I contacted Google about this and they ended up sending a replacement device. Doesn't work. In fact if you search for Nexus 4 Bluetooth issues or Android 4.2.2 bluetooth issues there are many many reports of issues so it seems to be software related rather than hardware.

I will contact google again and see if I can get a refund. Unfortunately this device is pretty much useless to me if they can't even get bluetooth working right :/

What a mickey mouse operating system. Back to WP8!

What a mickey mouse operating system. Back to WP8!

Before you start with opinions like this, make sure it's not your car. FWIW, my Volvo can sync contacts from my Nexus just fine.

Which car do you have? For some reason, contact syncing is something that's always been really finicky - certain combinations of cars and phones work, others don't. Sometimes it's the phone's fault, sometimes it's the car's fault. It might be worth looking up the compatibility tables for your car.

• 2 weeks later...

Since 4.2 they switched they switched to Broadcom Bluetooth stack which doesn't have AVRCP 1.3 (yet). It should be coming in he new 4.3. If you downgrade to 4.1 you should have AVRCP which then will allow some more advanced stuff, either that or wait till 4.3 comes out which should be in June.

Sounds to me like the OP can't figure something out that he should be able to do and has decided to blame Google for his failures, and he also now wants to troll Google, one more strike left looser

Works fine for me on my Chevy Cruze using the Nexus 4. Has all my missed calls, incoming calls, outgoing calls from Nexus 4 as well as all my contacts.

Since 4.2 they switched they switched to Broadcom Bluetooth stack which doesn't have AVRCP 1.3 (yet). It should be coming in he new 4.3. If you downgrade to 4.1 you should have AVRCP which then will allow some more advanced stuff, either that or wait till 4.3 comes out which should be in June.

Thanks, been doing some research into this and it seems to be confirmed the new Bluetooth stack is at fault.

From what I can gather a fix has been implemented in the opensource android but not in googles releases yet. Thanks for the info on 4.3, hopefully it will resolve all these issues. I relied so heavily on Bluetooth calling on all my other phones the Nexus for me is almost crippled without it.

Sounds to me like the OP can't figure something out that he should be able to do and has decided to blame Google for his failures, and he also now wants to troll Google, one more strike left looser

I take it you didn't read any of the other posts where it is clearly discovered to be an Android/broadcom software fault? Read them and try again troll.

Interesting to note - I have a HTC One running JB 4.1 and it syncs contacts with BMW. In fact, it was automatic, first thing that happened when I paired the phone with the car. I hope this is still the case w/ 4.2, but my hopes aren't there.

All reports of problems i've seen are issues using 4.2, with 4.1 having been OK, so matches up with the bluetooth stack having been changed.

I installed Cyanogenmod 10.1 RC2 and it fixes the bluetooth issue. Shame the clowns at Google haven't fixed it and its been up to the mod community to do their work for them.

Its a shame that Cyanogenmod doesn't fix the Nexus 4 washed out screen, where as Paranoid android does but doesn't fix bluetooth. Can't have everything I guess.

Certainly doesn't seem to be the premium experience its made out to be. Strongly considering moving back to WP8.