Black Screen on Cold Boot

Almost 90% of the time that I switch on my Windows 8 PC (Specs in Sig) in the mornings from a cold boot, I get a Black Screen as soon as Windows loads. Sometimes I get a a mouse cursor that stops responding after a few seconds and sometimes I just get a Black Screen with no mouse cursor. I have to power off the PC and switch it on again for it to boot up properly. I have fully updated Windows and I'm still seeing the issue nearly every morning (or whenever I start the PC from a cold boot).

As far as I'm aware I've not got any hardware issues.

Anyone else experienced something similar?

For how long has this been happening? Did it work and all of a sudden it started happening? If yes, did you install something? An AV resident perhaps or a firewall or a driver? Perhaps Windows Update installed something?

Did your PC come with Windows 8 or did you install it yourself? If yourself, did you do a clean install or upgrade from Windows 7? I always recommend a clean install and I am sure a lot of people will agree.

It's a custom built PC (Spes in Sig). I installed Windows 8 when it RTM'd from clean install. It's been happening ever since I installed Windows 8.

Do you have dual video cards by any chance? My laptop does have dual video cards and Windows 8 (while I had it) kept crashing every 3rd or 4th minute from the moment the desktop started. I have nVidia and an Intel one so I disabled the Intel one and problem went away.

No, it doesn't have dual video cards. I was told on another forum to check the BIOS version. Mine was running 2001, so I've updated it to 3602 (latest). Will see how that goes.

I've also noticed this recently on my Windows 8 install. I did a clean install of Windows 8 around last October, this has probably happened for the last two months or so.

I leave my PC on stand by so it only re-starts once a month for Windows updates, however if I do re start i've noticed the last few times I have got a black screen. If press the power button on my tower the black screen will go and the login screen will instantly appear. Alternatively I found that if I remote desktop in to the PC that also makes the black screen disappear and the login screen appear.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3

GPU: Sapphire HD 6870 1GB

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I updated the BIOS to the latest version and the problem went away for a few days, but it's come back. Has anyone else got any ideas how to resolve this?