- Vertex 2 120GB

- Vertex 2 160GB

- Vertex 3 MI 240GB

- Agility 3 240GB

- Octane 512GB

- Vertex 4 256GB

- Agility 4 256GB

- Vector 256GB

My Octane was DOA but other than that, 0% failure rate.

Same here. I've had 5 OCZ SSDs in my PCs and haven't had a single failure. Currently have the 256GB Vertex 4 and it's blazing fast and stable. I've also used them in builds for clients (5-10 PCs) and haven't had any failures. I've seen one Vertex 2 die, but those were notorious for failing because of Sandforce.

I feel like I should add that I have an Agility 4 128 GB which I've been using as my primary boot drive (with my operating system and all my programs) for about a year with no problems. I installed the latest firmware when I first got the drive but haven't touched it since then. It has been very fast and stable. Ever since I installed it my system takes longer at the BIOS splash screen as it does to boot the OS.

I have no idea how people kill so many drives. I have had 15 OCZ drives (Apex, Vertex, Vertex 2, Vertex 3 MAX IOPS, Vertex 4, Vector, Revo 3 X2), 5 Samsung drives (830, 840 Pro) and a couple Intel drives and never experienced any failures. The only issue I ever had with any of them was a Vertex 2 that would fail to wake from sleep on my Lenovo notebook, but it was old as heck (965 chipset). I pulled the drive and put it in my XPS 15 and it worked perfectly. Of the drives I own, Vector is fastest by a hair. A lot of users scream Samsung 840 Pro, but that was the only drive I can think of Anand reviewed that actually died during the testing. It was supposedly corrected but still, that isn't "superior" at all. I don't think you can really go wrong with Vector or the 840 Pro.

I have no idea how people kill so many drives. I have had 15 OCZ drives (Apex, Vertex, Vertex 2, Vertex 3 MAX IOPS, Vertex 4, Vector, Revo 3 X2), 5 Samsung drives (830, 840 Pro) and a couple Intel drives and never experienced any failures. The only issue I ever had with any of them was a Vertex 2 that would fail to wake from sleep on my Lenovo notebook, but it was old as heck (965 chipset). I pulled the drive and put it in my XPS 15 and it worked perfectly. Of the drives I own, Vector is fastest by a hair. A lot of users scream Samsung 840 Pro, but that was the only drive I can think of Anand reviewed that actually died during the testing. It was supposedly corrected but still, that isn't "superior" at all. I don't think you can really go wrong with Vector or the 840 Pro.

Do you really think I wanted my OCZ drive to fail? Why would anyone want their boot drive to fail? It's a PITA to RMA/replace and restore/re-install OS, etc. This is with normal usage too. The Samsung 830/840 Pro with the same type of usage are going very strong.

From what I can gather, OCZ has had issues with controllers and firmware updates, leading to their somewhat spotty track record with a lot of users. My main boot drive (Agility 4) was basically useless without a firmware update out of the box, which is kind of ridiculous for something like a hard drive.

However, as other people have noted, most manufacturers are getting their parts from the same places, and OCZ clearly sells more drives due to their price. By volume, I don't know that they're any worse than the other companies.

I swear it differs greatly where you asked, I asked on here about OCZ failures and whatnot and everyone said it was over-exaggurated, I posted a comment on a YT vid and got a bunch of comments back saying how awful etc. OCZ are.

Well, I've got an OCZ vertex 3 triple boot of W7, W:XP and Mac Snow Leopard, drives been fine and the only problem I've had is W:XP doesn't work anymore due to a drive letter changing somehow, other than that - it's fine.

We had about 100-130 OCZ vertex 2/Core 3 drives for work and about 3/4 have failed. Drive dies and you can't get any data from them. When they die at work we call them "OCZ Specials"

We are now using intels and none have failed at all.

I'm still involved in the RMA process with the OCZ, but I couldn't wait any longer and got myself an OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 240 gb(game drive) and an Intel 180gb 520 series(OS drive). Working like a charm, easy install , and I have no idea what I'm gonna use a fifth ssd for ....

I have 2xOCZ Vertex (originals) and 1xOCZ Agility.

The 2 Vertex drives are in my server. I had an issue with one of them when I first got it but a firmware update fixed it. They've been going strong for 3 years now! :) And the Agility is my main system drive which has had zero problems with.

Definitely mixed experience people have had with them though.

all I can say about the people with OCZ drives that haven't had an issue yet is, backup, backup backup.

would be stupid not to with any drive not just OCZ

would be stupid not to with any drive not just OCZ

True, but you'd be surprised how many people don't. But you're right, so i'm going to revise my last post.... k, it's changed.

I can counter with this...

OCZ drives owned:

- Vertex 2 60GB

- Vertex 2 120GB

- Vertex 2 160GB

- Vertex 3 MI 240GB

- Agility 3 240GB

- Octane 512GB

- Vertex 4 256GB

- Agility 4 256GB

- Vector 256GB

My Octane was DOA but other than that, 0% failure rate.

I work for a system builder, dont usually build systems unless I'm bored but I see most of the problem systems come back. I can tell you quite a few V2, Petrol, Octane and V3 drives failed. I had one fail during a windows install. They almost all do the same thing, lock up, no longer seen in bios. I've also seen bad sandisk. The crucial m4 I have never seen a bad drive and we sold tons.

IMO OCZ drives suck. I've only used Intel, Corsair or Samsung 840's in my rigs. Never any problems with those. I got two OCZ drives as review units back when I used to post on a certain site, needless to say those drives were crap. They were slow and one of them failed out of nowhere.

• 1 month later...

Well I finally got thru the RMA process and received my new unit and installed it as my 5th hd and am using it as a backup.......so far 2 weeks in and no probs.........

• 3 months later...

Same problem here, this is my second OCZ Vector 128GB who dies unexpectedly.

At some point, the system spits errors then after restart bios does not see the drive.

A month ago, the drive was replaced with a new one. 

I have a second SSD, Samsung EVO, works perfectly without any reservations.

Sadly, however, the last time decide to buy  OCZ SSD .. :-(

I have a OCZ Revo I've had to send in twice...

once because I couldn't update the firmware, once because the one they sent me had a bad controller

I think their reputation is entirely because of their early Sandforce controller drives (including the Revo) not their product quality in general.

My Vertex 4 has been quite good.  They aren't my first or my last choice for SSDs...but no complaints here.

I have a OCZ Revo I've had to send in twice...

once because I couldn't update the firmware, once because the one they sent me had a bad controller

I think their reputation is entirely because of their early Sandforce controller drives (including the Revo) not their product quality in general.

My Vertex 4 has been quite good.  They aren't my first or my last choice for SSDs...but no complaints here.

You are lucky. My brother owns a computer electronics store and says that almost every customer that bought a Vertex had to return it in 1 year. He had a Vertex himself when one day it just failed and denied to start. They seem to have some kind of factory defect.

You are lucky. My brother owns a computer electronics store and says that almost every customer that bought a Vertex had to return it in 1 year. He had a Vertex himself when one day it just failed and denied to start. They seem to have some kind of factory defect.

Which one?  Vertex 1 and 2 were early Sandforce iirc and those are the only ones I don't trust (though with the latest firmware they're usable.)  3 was later Sandforce stuff which should be better but I haven't really checked.  4 is Marvell and I haven't heard of any problems with it.

I admit I know little of 3.2.

Which one?  Vertex 1 and 2 were early Sandforce iirc and those are the only ones I don't trust (though with the latest firmware they're usable.)  3 was later Sandforce stuff which should be better but I haven't really checked.  4 is Marvell and I haven't heard of any problems with it.

All of them. I don't know, they could have been defect batches or slobbery users... I really hope they have fixed them and yours do well but for us, we know for sure we aren't using Vertex again.