Will Apple bring back the ethernet port on the next rMBP revision?

maybe I'm the one being the moron here, but an ethernet head is what 10mm in height? are our technology users really bothered about 1 lousy CM in thinness? This is Apple being petty, (possibly profiteering as per the adaptors). There are no ugly Apple laptops in the current range, and there hasn't been since 2010, arguably there hasn't been many bad looks in any of Apple's product lines in years. So I ask all the people who don't want an rj45 port on their laptops... does the 1cm height difference and the lack of a port REALLY benefit you in your day to life and usage of the machine? Does the 1cm height change and maybe 5g weight reduction really benefit you that much?

Laptops are so small and light these days that it's getting to the point of stupidity. So I ask 3 questions to any rMBP owner:

1. Does the 1cm height difference and the lack of a port REALLY benefit you in your day to day life and usage of the machine?

2. Does the 1cm height change and maybe 5g weight reduction really benefit you that much?

3. Does the idea of it having an ethernet port you won't use, but others might offend you that greatly?

All this arguing... All 100% pointless. No they will not be bringing it back.

* They will only have removed it after consumer testing to see how it would be received / how it has been used

* Apple love pushing their own agendas (rightly or wrongly)

* The adapter is a proven revenue stream

/thread

Sorry, you try, but you know nothing about Macs. The specs you're looking at are the total thickness of the laptop, but it has rounded corners the size of a USB port. So no, there's no way to put this s*** on such a gorgeous and thin piece of hardware.

Ladies and Gentlemen, a typical Mac user.

Unconcerned about the functionality of his device as long as the rounded corners and thickness of the casing are nice looking. He spends his whole day just gazing at the side profile of the device rather than actually doing anything productive.

• Like 3

Dinosaurs.

Dinosaurs who enjoy gigabit ethernet and higher sustained speeds. You won't be finding that on wireless.

Ladies and Gentlemen, a typical Mac user.

Unconcerned about the functionality of his device as long as the rounded corners and thickness of the casing are nice looking. He spends his whole day just gazing at the side profile of the device rather than actually doing anything productive.

I use it for professional video with 4 USB 3 hard disk drives, a 40 inch monitor setup with another monitor and it is just perfect. I have the adaptor and it works, contrary to macho dinosaurs who think everything should be like 10 years ago because, well... that's what macho windows users do.

Pathetic.

PS: I also use it to visit clients and cause a really good impression on big companies. It works.

No, Apple will not add the ethernet port. It will require an entire process of re-engineering (design - approve - produce - test). It is not a simple addition. They would either have to make the case thicker, or add it in a open slot type of thing (which BTW is the most ridiculous thing I have even seen, I hate those type of ports). They will then need to add the ethernet controller on the motherboard.

So it will cost them probably hundreds of thousands if not millions to add it. So no, it will not happen. If they did, the price of the rMBP would probably go up to cover the cost of the change. Or....you can just spent $30 to get the adapter.

apple is banking on distributed wifi. we'll not see an ethernet port in their laptops moving forward. i fully expect them to try to move the mbp toward the air form factor.

that said, intel is updating the thunderbolt spec to 20gbps... it would be nice if apple finally made some form of a docking station that is:

a. officially supported

b. not part of a $2k monitor.

I use Wired every chance I get, especially since my MacBooks wireless pretty much sucks. Same with the iPad as well. Both are constantly dropping connections. And it is just my Apple products. Every other device on my network that is wireless always stays connected no issues. Yet with my MacBook and iPad, I am constantly turning WiFi on and off so it will "connect to internet." It is also multiple brands of routers so I know it is not router specific. From Asus to Linksys to the Motorola Router FIOS provides, it happens on every single router. They really need to sort it out, it is beyond annoying now.

So I am forced to carry around the stupid Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter that was an extra $30 or whatever it was. Truly a dumb move IMHO, and they should never have gotten rid of it.

I use Wired every chance I get, especially since my MacBooks wireless pretty much sucks. Same with the iPad as well. Both are constantly dropping connections. And it is just my Apple products. Every other device on my network that is wireless always stays connected no issues. Yet with my MacBook and iPad, I am constantly turning WiFi on and off so it will "connect to internet." It is also multiple brands of routers so I know it is not router specific. From Asus to Linksys to the Motorola Router FIOS provides, it happens on every single router. They really need to sort it out, it is beyond annoying now.

So I am forced to carry around the stupid Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter that was an extra $30 or whatever it was. Truly a dumb move IMHO, and they should never have gotten rid of it.

I have never had any of my devices (Apple or anything else) drop wireless. I am not sure why every Apple product would drop for you and no other company's product does it. That is odd.

It actually is much better. With the current Thunderbolt ports working up to 10Gb/s, Apple can (not saying they will, but they could if they wanted to) release a 10Gbit Ethernet adapter once we have those available. If you need such speeds, it is just another $30 instead of buying a new laptop.

I have never had any of my devices (Apple or anything else) drop wireless. I am not sure why every Apple product would drop for you and no other company's product does it. That is odd.

It actually is much better. With the current Thunderbolt ports working up to 10Gb/s, Apple can (not saying they will, but they could if they wanted to) release a 10Gbit Ethernet adapter once we have those available. If you need such speeds, it is just another $30 instead of buying a new laptop.

You don't have to search very long on the Internet to find cases of wireless drops on MBPs, Minis, and iMacs.

Exactly.

But they'll say that the adaptor is oh, so annoying. Because you know... you have to carry your laptop to so many different places and only use ethernet for big downloads. That's pretty much everyone's everyday life. Oh my... This is unbearable... /but still looks forward another Apple launch, so they can say how bad that new piece of tech is.

It's a never-ending boredom.

I use it for professional video with 4 USB 3 hard disk drives, a 40 inch monitor setup with another monitor and it is just perfect. I have the adaptor and it works, contrary to macho dinosaurs who think everything should be like 10 years ago because, well... that's what macho windows users do.

Pathetic.

PS: I also use it to visit clients and cause a really good impression on big companies. It works.

Just think how superior the experience would be on a PC with higher powered specs for your video editing.

Adapters...how quaint.

When you make these professional videos what format do you use?

You don't have to search very long on the Internet to find cases of wireless drops on MBPs, Minis, and iMacs.

That is not unique to Apple devices though which is my point. I have had users report to me about their Dell desktops and laptops doing this. All I am saying is, it is not a Apple specific thing. You can find online that Dell computers experience these type of drops as well.

Or they could have just used an ethernet port like the rest of the world.

But they know they have plenty of folks like you lining up to pay for yet another adapter.

That is not unique to Apple devices though which is my point. I have had users report to me about their Dell desktops and laptops doing this. All I am saying is, it is not a Apple specific thing. You can find online that Dell computers experience these type of drops as well.

So much for the premium apple experience eh?

Profile pic very much related.

Or they could have just used an ethernet port like the rest of the world.

But they know they have plenty of folks like you lining up to pay for yet another adapter.

So much for the premium apple experience eh?

Profile pic very much related.

I did not get the adapter, I do not need the speed of ethernet. I have it connected to my wireless and it is faster than I need it. If I do need ethernet at some point, it is just an extra $30. Not something to cry over. I prefer the smaller case vs a bigger one with the port.

Just think how superior the experience would be on a PC with higher powered specs for your video editing.

Adapters...how quaint.

When you make these professional videos what format do you use?

I use multiple HD formats from professional cameras.

A PC is not an option, as no company (including HP, Samsung, Asus, Dell) offers me worldwide warranty like Apple Care does. My rMBP is from the US and a PC bought from international sources is not covered by ANY of the big companies, but Apple. Also it would cost me triple the price of the rMBP to buy a PC paying all the taxes in Brazil.

Another point is that there are no high-specs machines like the rMBP as thin and portable as it is, with no beautiful retina screen nor Thunderbolt. And... it is beautiful and causes a really nice impression on my clients. Thus, OS X does not give me half the headaches I used to have with PCs. I'm an advanced Windows user since Windows 3.1, just to make it clear.

Apple could bing back the ethernet port back easily if they wanted to. I look at my HP Sleekbook which is too thin for a Ethernet port so you know what they do... They pake the port expandable. take a look at the image. When you put in the RJ45 connector the port expands to fit. Its awesome.

HP%20Envy%20Sleekbook%2061126sa%20ports%202-580-90.JPG

• Like 1

Apple could bing back the ethernet port back easily if they wanted to. I look at my HP Sleekbook which is too thin for a Ethernet port so you know what they do... They pake the port expandable. take a look at the image. When you put in the RJ45 connector the port expands to fit. Its awesome.

HP%20Envy%20Sleekbook%2061126sa%20ports%202-580-90.JPG

No they cannot bring it back easily. End of story. It will cost them thousands if not millions. And to cover the cost, the price of the rMBP will certainly increase. Far more than a $30 adapter would cost you.

They need to start a new design phase (design - approve - produce - test) for it to be added. They will then need to change the motherboard to add the ethernet controller on there.

They simply will not add it until the next redesign of the laptop. It just will not happen.

I was gonna suggest the should use an HP style ethernet port, my girlfriend has the Spectre XT, even thinner than the sleekbook....but yeh I seriously doubt they will...for average use there is no need for it, sysadmin and hardcore gaming are now really the only reason for an ethernet port now adays, neither of which your generally going to be doing on an MBP

HP_Spectre_XT_TouchSmart_15-4010nr_35427780_05_610x436.jpg

No they cannot bring it back easily. End of story. It will cost them thousands if not millions. And to cover the cost, the price of the rMBP will certainly increase. Far more than a $30 adapter would cost you.

They need to start a new design phase (design - approve - produce - test) for it to be added. They will then need to change the motherboard to add the ethernet controller on there.

They simply will not add it until the next redesign of the laptop. It just will not happen.

Millions...for an ethernet port?

I really doubt that.

I use multiple HD formats from professional cameras.

A PC is not an option, as no company (including HP, Samsung, Asus, Dell) offers me worldwide warranty like Apple Care does. My rMBP is from the US and a PC bought from international sources is not covered by ANY of the big companies, but Apple. Also it would cost me triple the price of the rMBP to buy a PC paying all the taxes in Brazil.

You can transfer the dell warranty to another person (if you sell your laptop) or to another country. If you buy a laptop through the business / commercial division then the warranty is international.

HP has an international warranty, says it on the warranty FAQ information page:

Most HP products sold on or after 2nd August 1999 are provided with Global Warranty cover. HP can provide warranty service on your product in any country where we have a service presence (either provided by HP directly, or via HP accredited Service Providers) - currently this amounts to approximately 150 countries worldwide.

Samsung will provide you with warranty service outside the country of purchase, it's on their website too:

In the event that warranty service is required on your (United States purchased) Samsung Moblie Computer and you are located outside of the country, the local Samsung entity in the foreign countries listed on the website at www.samsung.com/global/notepc may be able to provide you with warranty service. Any warranty services rendered shall be in a manner consistent with the terms and conditions of the Samsung Moblie Computer Limited Warranty. Warranty services performed, if made available, may take longer than if performed in the United States. Any services rendered are not performed by Samsung Electronics America and not a part of the Samsung Mobile Computer Limited Warranty.

As well as Asus:

ASUS is committed to the highest level of product quality and service. That?s why we offer a 1 or 2 year International Warranty protection on our notebook products. We know how you value your time and your personal data, and we want to ensure your peace of mind. Our coverage guarantees a free service on your notebook at any ASUS service centers worldwide for two years from the date of purchase. Select models come with 3 year International Warranty package.

I get that you like Apple products, and that's perfectly fine, but please don't spread BS.

Millions...for an ethernet port?

I really doubt that.

TBF it will involve a bit of work, but new ports and such do get added to the mbp in revisions. So adding an ethernet port will be the same as adding Thunderbolt but probably a lot easier in fact. I don't see the problem with them doing it. It'll be the easiest upgrade they could do. Maybe they're waiting for Terabit Ethernet. lol

Pay 12 bucks and buy a usb to rj45 cable. What we do at work with the surface pros in a weak wireless area.

Since Surface Pro comes with only 1 USB port, what do you think if I need my USB mouse at the same time? TQ.