Buying My First Android Phone. Need Advice/Help

OK, so this is my first post here.

A little bit of background why I am looking to get an Android phone. I had an iPhone 4 for 2 years, first smart phone, it worked a treat, not a single problem. Got bored of the OS and decided to go for a WP8 Phone. Got the Lumia 620 and the OS worked a treat but I had to send it back for repairs last week. Now this has put me off Nokia phones a bit because its already had a hardware fault after 2 months. While my phone has been repair I have been using a old brick phone that can call and make texts and its made me realise don't miss my smartphone that much, I miss the useless things like checking the weather, travel news, cinema listings etc. So I thought maybe Ill sell my 620 and try an Android phone because I have never had a phone with Android before.

What I am looking for is a phone with a screen from about 3.5" to 4" (I don't like them any bigger as I have small hands and like to hold the phone in one hand, also I have a iPod nano so I don't want my pockets to get bulky.)

Ive been looking online and the phones I like the look of are the Sony Xperia Phones. The ones I have short listed are the:

Xperia U

Xperia Go

Xperia Sola

What I'd like to know is which one would be the best to get, do they run ICS smoothly? All Im looking to run is apps like, facebook, twitter, whatsapp, maybe a sat nav app. As for cameras I may take photos from time to time but its not that important to me. As for music, I have my iPod.

Would any of the above phone suit my needs and most important run smoothly? One thing I like about WP8 is that it was as smooth as butter. My only experience with Andoird is friends have also Android Phones on 2.3 with only 256MB RAM and they lagged with even simple tasks.

I am really a noob when it comes to Android and have done as much research as possible. I'm just trying to find a phone that isn't too big, that doesn't cost much ( I think the above phones are all under ?200) and that doesn't lag when doing simple tasks.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated :-)

Cheers,

Rich

May want to wait until the Google I/O and see what is coming out. Google may be announcing their new X phone, or whatever else it is called, and they stated it would be around the size you are looking for. Plus, it will be pure Google OS with not a bunch of junk installed. The Xperia line of phones are nice tho.

As for your Nokia, some devices have issues. If you liked your Nokia, and the OS, stick with it when you get your phone back and wait a while and see if you have any more problems. When I got my GNEX, I had to return it since I was having issues reading the SIM card. After I got my replacement, never had a problem.

I just purchased Nexus 4, my first android device & I am really happy with it. I assume you are from UK & playstore indicates a price of ?239 8GB.

If you can spend a few extra bucks, this device can support you for the next 3 years pretty easily. Do give it a thought.

I don't know why you'd carry an iPod Nano of all devices along with a phone. I can understand a DAP/PMP with better audio quality with higher capacity along with a phone, but not an iPod Nano. Anyways, I would recommend WP8 if that's what you're used to, don't let one repair experience get in the way of an OS. Most lower-end android phones just are garbage, and more frustrating than they're worth.

May want to wait until the Google I/O and see what is coming out. Google may be announcing their new X phone, or whatever else it is called, and they stated it would be around the size you are looking for. Plus, it will be pure Google OS with not a bunch of junk installed. The Xperia line of phones are nice tho.

As for your Nokia, some devices have issues. If you liked your Nokia, and the OS, stick with it when you get your phone back and wait a while and see if you have any more problems. When I got my GNEX, I had to return it since I was having issues reading the SIM card. After I got my replacement, never had a problem.

I think I may wait till Google I/O is they are going to release a new phone around the size I am looking for. I just hope I like the design, I cant lie as a designer I do pick a phone that A works well but that I like the look of too. Thats why I like the xperia line, I just think the design of Samsungs and HTC's phones are horrible, bar a few nice designs.

I do like my Nokia WP8 phone I think I may just want to try the Android experience. For me the music player while visually its great, it lacks the functionality I get from an iPod.

I do have concern about performance with an Android but I thought those problems were more of an issue back in the day with 2.3 and phones only having 256MB RAM? From what I've heard with ICS and phones having 512MB RAM it runs a lot smoother now. Is this correct?

I just purchased Nexus 4, my first android device & I am really happy with it. I assume you are from UK & playstore indicates a price of ?239 8GB.

If you can spend a few extra bucks, this device can support you for the next 3 years pretty easily. Do give it a thought.

I would go for the Nexus 4 but the screen size is too big for me, dont get me wrong for the price is a great phone, a friend has one and he loves it but I wouldnt want a screen bigger than 4" tops.

I don't know why you'd carry an iPod Nano of all devices along with a phone. I can understand a DAP/PMP with better audio quality with higher capacity along with a phone, but not an iPod Nano. Anyways, I would recommend WP8 if that's what you're used to, don't let one repair experience get in the way of an OS. Most lower-end android phones just are garbage, and more frustrating than they're worth.

I dont understand why I wouldnt? When I had my iPhone i used it as an mp3 player too. For me I like the itunes interface, Ive spent years making my collection correct in itunes, it just work. People can argue about who makes the best phone but for a music listening experience ipod/itunes wins hand down, it why no one else has come close to beating them (well in my opinion anyways). The iPod nano holds 16Gb of music which is great for me and they are really small.

I think I may wait till Google I/O is they are going to release a new phone around the size I am looking for. I just hope I like the design, I cant lie as a designer I do pick a phone that A works well but that I like the look of too. Thats why I like the xperia line, I just think the design of Samsungs and HTC's phones are horrible, bar a few nice designs.

I do like my Nokia WP8 phone I think I may just want to try the Android experience. For me the music player while visually its great, it lacks the functionality I get from an iPod.

I do have concern about performance with an Android but I thought those problems were more of an issue back in the day with 2.3 and phones only having 256MB RAM? From what I've heard with ICS and phones having 512MB RAM it runs a lot smoother now. Is this correct?

I dont understand why I wouldnt? When I had my iPhone i used it as an mp3 player too. For me I like the itunes interface, Ive spent years making my collection correct in itunes, it just work. People can argue about who makes the best phone but for a music listening experience ipod/itunes wins hand down, it why no one else has come close to beating them (well in my opinion anyways). The iPod nano holds 16Gb of music which is great for me and they are really small.

I wouldn't recommend Android 4.x with anything less than 1GB of RAM. You can get by 512MB of RAM, but you're not going to have a good experience, especially since you're used to the fluidity of iPhone/WP8. If you've experienced/used Android 4.x, there is no going back to Android 2.x. It feels like an archaic OS (much like iOS imo).

Fair enough, I can't use it since iPod audio quality is never that *great* and I absolutely hate iTunes on Windows - worst piece of software ever. For me, there are much better players that are smaller than the iPod Nano, with better audio quality and higher storage capacity.

I have a Galaxy S running 4.2 with 512MB of ram. It's just about usable but it does lag a touch, especially in games. I'd go for a gig and above if I were you.

What I dont get then is why are there loads of android phones on the market with 512mb RAM that are running 4.0 and higher? Are you saying these phones are crap and wont run smoothly even when doing simple things like facebook or youtube?

First off let me clear some rumours here

1. There will be no NEW Google Phone coming out this IO. Most likely upgraded model of LG Nexus 4 with 32GB and prolly LTE

2. No Key Lime Pie or Android 5.0 coming this IO. We have updated Jelly Bean 4.3 that'll be rolled out.

3. Below are the phones from 3.5 to 4.0" running ICS atleast + 1GB RAM

5jtbg3.jpg

First off let me clear some rumours here

1. There will be no NEW Google Phone coming out this IO. Most likely upgraded model of LG Nexus 4 with 32GB and prolly LTE

2. No Key Lime Pie or Android 5.0 coming this IO. We have updated Jelly Bean 4.3 that'll be rolled out.

3. Below are the phones from 3.5 to 4.0" running ICS atleast + 1GB RAM

5jtbg3.jpg

Cheers.

I did see the sony xperia SX but it is only avaliable in Japan :-( That phones looks great and would be perfect for me but I can find a shop or online store that sells it in the EU :-(

The rest of them I will look over but to me they all luck fugly design wise.

Really annoying that ICS cant run well on phones with 512MB even if Im not gaming and just doing general stuff like facebook or youtube. Google should seriously sort that out. So I guess the stigma is still true that low end android phones are crap?

Dont go for Xperia SX if you want lag free experience, i own Xperia SL and it has better specs than SX, 1 GB Ram running Stock ICS sony firmware. That thing lags like hell, sometimes it freeze so bad i have to force restart phone since you cant get out the battery. only 256 RAM is available for apps out of 1 GB RAM, no idea why!

I have a Xperia U with ICS (4.0.4), runs OK for what I use it for - phone calls, texting, some browsing and simple games. Not had any problems with it.

I have a Xperia U with ICS (4.0.4), runs OK for what I use it for - phone calls, texting, some browsing and simple games. Not had any problems with it.

Mine even lags during using music player, and everything is stock, no custom icons or themes or launchers.

Thanks for the info. Would you say it runs smoothly doing the tasks you stated? Thats all I'm looking for from the phone, calls, texts, some social networking, using simple apps like youtube, ted, checking cinema times etc. Maybe a simple game but nothing taxing. Would you say the Xperia U can cope with that?

I also looked at the Xperia Sola and Go, all of which has similar specs.

Mine even lags during using music player, and everything is stock, no custom icons or themes or launchers.

I've not had problems with music or video, or even with games (Rubiks cube, Pro snooker, 3d bowling). Everything stock here too, although I have uninstalled the crap I wouldn't use.

Don't knock Da Nano!!! I still carry 4th gen Nano on walks with me and in my car.

I know you don't want above 4".. I thought it was too big at first, but you get used to it and would never go back.

My advice is:

Get a google phone.. the vanilla android software is so much smoother/nicer/more updated than any variants

Get a nexus 4 - you won't regret it!

You'll also get the latest Jelly Bean which is super smooth

Would the Xperia P be the right option? 4" screen and 1GB of RAM.

Bigger screen, more RAM, same processors as the U. If the price isn't much different, then would probably be better value.

I know you don't want above 4".. I thought it was too big at first, but you get used to it and would never go back.

My advice is:

Get a google phone.. the vanilla android software is so much smoother/nicer/more updated than any variants

Get a nexus 4 - you won't regret it!

You'll also get the latest Jelly Bean which is super smooth

I understand what youre saying but Ive tried larger phones and I hate them. A bit of a rant but 15 years ago people complained that phones were like bricks in their pockets, we get smart phones that were small and now we are back to making phones the size of house bricks, though they are a lot thinner they are still massive.

I just thought there be a android smartphone that ran 4.0 with 512MB smoothly for simple tasks. It seems like your telling me this isnt the case? If that's really true its pretty messed up that Android only runs smoothly on high end devices which is sad because I wanted to try android I just didnt want to fork out loads of money as I cant afford it.

Avoid those low end Sony devices, they not only won't receive any more updates but their software is also terrible (lag in stock Sony apps). Just get a Galaxy SII (I9100) and update it to Jelly Bean 4.1.2, else you could get the Galaxy Ace 2, Galaxy S Advance or the SIII Mini. i.e devices still in mainstream software support. The Xperia U, Sola and P won't even receive Android 4.2.2 so stay away from such things.

Never ever consider low end devices unless you want to be stuck with outdated software (ICS) on junk underpowered hardware with less than 400MB of usable RAM.

I just thought there be a android smartphone that ran 4.0 with 512MB smoothly for simple tasks.

Simple tasks? Those devices with Snapdragon S2 chips or even the ST-U8500 have around 360MB of RAM out of 512MB accessible to the system & apps, this is basically a tiny amount compared to what modern Apps use. At most you'll be able to run few Apps without them being closed down by the low memory killer, even the launcher will lag sometimes. Get something with 768MB-1GB of RAM.

Avoid those low end Sony devices, they not only won't receive any more updates but their software is also terrible (lag in stock Sony apps). Just get a Galaxy SII (I9100) and update it to Jelly Bean 4.1.2, else you could get the Galaxy Ace 2, Galaxy S Advance or the SIII Mini. i.e devices still in mainstream software support. The Xperia U, Sola and P won't even receive Android 4.2.2 so stay away from such things.

Never ever consider low end devices unless you want to be stuck with outdated software (ICS) on junk underpowered hardware with less than 400MB of usable RAM.

Simple tasks? Those devices with Snapdragon S2 chips or even the ST-U8500 have around 360MB of RAM out of 512MB accessible to the system & apps, this is basically a tiny amount compared to what modern Apps use. At most you'll be able to run few Apps without them being closed down by the low memory killer, even the launcher will lag sometimes. Get something with 768MB-1GB of RAM.

I read that sonys software was meant to be alright. Guess I read wrong. I get your argument and I know they are different OS's but WP8 runs all the above apps I mentioned as smooth a butter on 512MB RAM. I just thought by now android would too. I guess I was wrong. Its making think should I stick with WP8 because by your argument 80% of android phones are piece of crap that have under powered specs that don't even allow you a smooth experience when doing a simple task like facebook (which is a pretty simple task for a smartphone). Im not to fussed about future updates if I am honest. I just wanted a phone that runs android 4.0 smoothly, to use simple apps on 512MB RAM with a screen size no bigger than 4". Because I wanted to try the OS. I guess what I've learned is that's impossible with android which is strange to me.

And on a side note to the other phones you mentioned like the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2, while the specs meet my requirements I think they look horrible and the UI is just terrible. I like stoke android the most out of them all.

I read that sonys software was meant to be alright. Guess I read wrong. I get your argument and I know they are different OS's but WP8 runs all the above apps I mentioned as smooth a butter on 512MB RAM. I just thought by now android would too. I guess I was wrong. Its making think should I stick with WP8 because by your argument 80% of android phones are piece of crap that have under powered specs that don't even allow you a smooth experience when doing a simple task like facebook (which is a pretty simple task for a smartphone). Im not to fussed about future updates if I am honest. I just wanted a phone that runs android 4.0 smoothly, to use simple apps on 512MB RAM with a screen size no bigger than 4". Because I wanted to try the OS. I guess what I've learned is that's impossible with android which is strange to me.

And on a side note to the other phones you mentioned like the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2, while the specs meet my requirements I think they look horrible and the UI is just terrible. I like stoke android the most out of them all.

You haven't learned anything, you have been told both sides of the story - with one side saying don't do it, the other saying it works fine.

I say you should go to your nearest phone shop and try different phones out to see which one you want.

You haven't learned anything, you have been told both sides of the story - with one side saying don't do it, the other saying it works fine.

I say you should go to your nearest phone shop and try different phones out to see which one you want.

I've learned a fair bit actually about Android and its capabilities.I am going to go to my local phone shops and try the Xperia U, Sola and P to see how they handle.

Thank you every one for you views and advice :-)