The correct way to use Windows 8 Start Screen (PC users)

The problem with Start screen is that if you optimize it for maximum productivity, it looks ugly as hell. I don't like puking every time I switch on my computer or open one of the apps. If you go for looks, you'll have to move all your useful desktop apps way in the back. Or customize each individual tile to look consistent with the rest of the metro crap which seems like a lotta work. It's a Catch22. Maybe if Start menu had a way to save tile arrangements to allow quick switching between 'fugly but productive' and '8 bit flashy but useless' Start screen layouts.

Here is the correct way to use the Windows 8 Start Screen. This is a screen shot of my Win 8 Pro Start Screen. I unpinned all the tablet suited apps and pinned ALL the desktop apps to make it like the old start menu! If you are a 100% desktop user like me, this is the way to go!

post-455563-0-92562200-1367163789.jpg

If I may ask you a few questions.

Why don't you group your shortcuts?

Also, you stated that the reason you pinned "all of the desktop applications" was to make the Start screen similar to the old Start menu. Do you even use half of the shortcuts you pinned? If not, why don't you just pin the ones you use frequently?

The correct way to use the start screen, is to use it the way that suit's YOU as an individual the most. Simple.

Thanks for saying that. Because for me, the way that suits is to press a button and have access to a menu that folds out. ;)

As others have said, there is no "correct" way to use the Start Screen. You're either using it or you're not, you can't be using it and getting it wrong.

Thanks for saying that. Because for me, the way that suits is to press a button and have access to a menu that folds out. ;)

Then use one of the many 3rd party start menus.

My copy of Windows doesn't come with Photoshop built in, but i don't whine about it, i install it. Job done.

Nope, this is the correct way, beacuse you have all the programs right there instantly! That is the most moronic thing i have ever heard, having to search for a progam to launch it, omg. I use alot of these programs almost everyday. Why would you have to type in a program every time you want to launch it, when you can have all the programs pinned right in front of you. Typing in a program equals a loss in productivity and takes more time. I assume you never used windows ever!

Wrong. It's the slowest way by far. Quicker to simply press WIN and type first few letters of your document or application, same as in Vista and 7.

If you need icons for apps, simply pin them to taskbar or add them to the desktop.

The best method Ive found to use the Windows 8 start-screen is stick with Windows 7 and, I go straight to the desktop and I don't have to buy Start 8.

I'm sure to go to hell now. Take it for what it is.

My Method for using the Windows 8 Start Screen.

Win Key, first 3 letters of a program, Enter

I have the screen open for approximately 1 second.