Microsoft creates an Apple vs. Samsung wedding fight for its new WP8 ad

Microsoft creates an Apple vs. Samsung wedding fight for its new Windows Phone ad

Microsoft has tried a number of ways to advertise Windows Phone handsets, but the latest pits two rivals against each other. In a new minute long spot that's due to air on US national TV, a wedding reception is interrupted by Apple and Samsung fans. "Would you mind moving your enormous phone," asks one iPhone 5 user, before the guests ? a clear 50 / 50 split of iPhone 5 and Samsung Galaxy users ?begin to trade insults. One member searches for "one tricky pony" using Siri, while another fires back "aren't you a little young to have an iPhone?"

Insanity ensures and a mass brawl breaks out where each side can be heard trading insults like "iSheep" or "copybox." The ad finishes up with two servers standing alone discussing the alternative: Windows Phone. The ad is clearly positioned in a way to show off the third-place position of Windows Phone, and offer it as an alternative. It's a lighthearted approach that avoids comparing two phones directly, or the backlash from the company's notorious "Scroogled" campaign.

Nokia's Lumia Windows Phone sales hit a record high in the recent quarter, but Nokia is still struggling to convince US smartphone buyers to go with Lumia. A 33 percent decline year-on-year on US Lumia sales shows the Finnish company and other Windows Phone manufacturers have their work cut out. Microsoft is hoping its latest campaign will help boost those lagging US sales for an all important smartphone market.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z19vR1GldRI

Source: The Verge

• Like 2

When did TV ads get to be 1 minute long? That seems way too long.

They usually start with a long version and then edit it down to different spot lengths...

It's an amusing ad though. I like it. lol

This is exactly how I see some neowin members. Stupidity included.

Seems it really affect some people what others use or think about what they use.

• Like 3

It wasn't funny when Apple made fun of their competition, and it's not funny when Microsoft do it, either.

What it IS, is juvenile.

Let each product compete on its merits alone, and leave the childish attacks on the competition to the idiot fans.

They usually start with a long version and then edit it down to different spot lengths...

It's an amusing ad though. I like it. lol

I'll have to wait until I get home to watch it :)

Am I the only one who thinks the bearded iPhone user asking the Note user to get out of the way strongly resembles Joshua Topolsky of The Verge fame btw?

It wasn't funny when Apple made fun of their competition, and it's not funny when Microsoft do it, either.

youre telling me a commercial with a guy ripping his shirt open revealing a large apple logo tattooed on his chest then getting a wwe style chair shot to the back from a female Samsung fangirl is not funny? you must be the most boring dude on the planet.

youre telling me a commercial with a guy ripping his shirt open revealing a large apple logo tattooed on his chest then getting a wwe style chair shot to the back from a female Samsung fangirl is not funny? you must be the most boring dude on the planet.

It's funny if you're into purile humour fit for 14 year olds.

• Like 2

Was it funny when Samsung did it?

I'm going to echo the guy above, you must be pretty dull.

Am I the only one who thinks the bearded iPhone user asking the Note user to get out of the way strongly resembles Joshua Topolsky of The Verge fame btw?

I'll bet you anything that's intentional.

When did Microsoft get good at marketing?

Was it funny when Samsung did it?

I'm going to echo the guy above, you must be pretty dull.

It's not funny when ANY company has to resort to childish cheap shots. It DOES however, do a pretty good job of showing that their own product clearly can't compete so has to resort to such pathetic tactics.

As for your personal opinion of me, keep it to yourself.

Does Microsoft have a voice assist program like Siri? While funny, just seems they are picking on the features they do not have. In any case, will soon be forgotten like the Samsung commercials towards the iPhone

Does Microsoft have a voice assist program like Siri? While funny, just seems they are picking on the features they do not have. In any case, will soon be forgotten like the Samsung commercials towards the iPhone

Yes and they have since Mango. With WP8, apps can tie into it, and with the apps I have installed it beats the crap out of Siri.

I liked when it panned back to the two guys NFC pairing "weee", teh funnies. :laugh:

Its not truly 'natural' language like Siri but it does the job, Bing clearly. Unlike Apple, MS has a search engine.

I'd say except Siri, WP has all other features in that ad. :/ but I think "features" was not the focus of the ad.

I liked when it panned back to the two guys NFC pairing "weee", teh funnies.

Its not truly 'natural' language like Siri but it does the job, Bing clearly. Unlike Apple, MS has a search engine.

Siri is not truly natural language either :/ say anything outside of its set of commands and it spits out a search result.

I'd say except Siri, WP has all other features in that ad. :/ but I think "features" was not the focus of the ad.

So WP has bigger screens and the ability to NFC files/info by touching the phones together?

What do they call it?

TellMe.

So WP has bigger screens and the ability to NFC files/info by touching the phones together?

Bigger than the iPhone, and yes, it has NFC.

Bigger screens: Have you seen a 920? :laugh:

NFC: well this is from my own phone,

post-62693-0-67284400-1367254739.png