Have hidden folders remain hidden in archive/extraction?

Question

I am making a game. The game of course has its features activated by the files inside different folders of the directory.

Issue is, some of the files contain spoilers. If the players took a small glance at them, it would spoil the whole storyline and the game.

I have hidden these files, but they do not persist in being hidden inside of the .zip archive nor after the files are unzipped.

I need to have the folders be hidden, it's a necessity.

Any ideas?

3 answers to this question

What type of game are you making? Which language are you using? It sounds like you are doing something very wrong. Most games have their dialog embedded into the executable, its supporting libraries, or binary encoded assets (most often the latter).

or they use some kind of encryption to prevent non-game viewing.

Encryption only works to the same extent that encoding assets in a proprietary binary format does. The game must be able to decrypt its assets at run time to make use of them. Therefore the key needs to either be embedded in the executable, in which case you have merely moved the problem to another location, or be easily brute forcible so the game loads in a reasonable amount of time, in which case it can be brute forced by someone else. However, both methods are much better than storing assets as mere hidden files (especially plain text hidden files) somewhere on the filesystem.