Rumor: Nintendo delaying Wii U titles due to summer patch

rkQe6Lb.jpg

A source told CVG that Wii U releases are slim this spring due to an initiative at Nintendo to stop most first-party releases until the summer patch is out, which will further improve the system. This follows April's patch which sped up load times by 15 seconds, in some instances.

Once the patch is out, Mario Wii U (not official title) will come out by October. Mario Kart andSuper Smash. entries for the Wii U, all of which are to be shown at E3 next month, may follow. One source told CVG that Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101 and Wii Fit U were all delayed for the patch, ostensibly so the games received less criticism for load times. Another source, however, denied Nintendo intentionally delaying game releases.

"From July onwards we will launch a succession of Wii U titles and we will promote these extensively until the end of the year," Shelly Pearce, the PR director at Nintendo UK, told CVG.

This is all just speculation from sources that come from unknown places, but the noticable lack of Wii U releases since launch can be explained by this strategy. After all, why risk mediocre reviews tied to long load times when a patch that will fix them (along with other issues) is just around the corner?

If the rumors are true, we'll have a smooth console experience with all the Nintendo staples this fall. The year that came before will soon be forgotten.

Nintendo plots Wii U resurgence with 3D Mario by October [CVG]

A patch that improved load times by 15 seconds... Are you joking me?

This console should never have left the drawing board.

They jumped the gun trying to print more money but reality bit them in the ass. Sometimes we all need it as a reminder to do good work.

I am certainly enjoying my play through of Lego City Undercover but I'll admit that the loading times from boot up, to starting the game, to loading the next mission can be painfully slow. It's a shame too, the game pad usage in Lego City has been done perfectly and few will end up playing it.

I am certainly enjoying my play through of Lego City Undercover but I'll admit that the loading times from boot up, to starting the game, to loading the next mission can be painfully slow. It's a shame too, the game pad usage in Lego City has been done perfectly and few will end up playing it.

I worked at Toys R us last Christmas, and parents were coming in asking for the game back then. It'll sell, and it'll sell well. If the parents feel like spending $300 for a WiiU. N's biggest problem is that parents expect gaming consoles to be $129 with Mario or Skylander.

You seriously think loading times are that significant of a problem? I guess you forgot about another company who knowingly rushed a defective console out the door back at the start of this console gen.

You seriously think loading times are that significant of a problem? I guess you forgot about another company who knowingly rushed a defective console out the door back at the start of this console gen.

That's the spirit...

You seriously think loading times are that significant of a problem?

I always consider slow loading to be a frustrating problem.

Yes, loading times when they are as bad as on the WiiU is worse than a company releasing a console with an unknown fault that only appeared after 6-12 months of heat/cold cycles of daily turning it on and of, and then offering 5+ year free warranty repairs on the fault.

Yes, loading times when they are as bad as on the WiiU is worse than a company releasing a console with an unknown fault that only appeared after 6-12 months of heat/cold cycles of daily turning it on and of, and then offering 5+ year free warranty repairs on the fault.

Nah, i'm pretty sure a few extra seconds of a loading screen is alot better than potentially going weeks without the console at all while you wait for it to be fixed after it died very prematurely due to design flaws.

Why don't you try to use a Wii U without the update from April, and let us know how enjoyable the experience is? We can wait. :p

At this rate it may be worth picking one up....in the middle of next year.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/tu-quoque

Nah, i'm pretty sure a few extra seconds of a loading screen is alot better than potentially going weeks without the console at all while you wait for it to be fixed after it died very prematurely due to design flaws.

You don't have a WiiU do you...

And you're missing the point of the post aren't you?

No I'm not, but I think you are.

My 360 I played for a year, then I sent in it for 2 weeks. My WiiU, I have had since X-mas. and the time I spent playing on it since then... The horrible loading time, the excruciatingly slow downloads and installs, the lack of games. the majority f it's usage has been netflix and playing NSMBU on the pad. and I avoid netflix due to the slowness and other bugs and issues, not like I don't have other devices that can netflix. but since I don't play on the WiiU much, it's easier to flip to that one, since my 360 is usually running with a game paused.

So no. the WiiU has bigger issues.

You can get the Wii U basic for ?150 now at amazon uk btw and the premium for ?199 at asda, most other places are charging ?200 and ?290. If the consoles sell for these lower prices at all uk retailers then the wii u might be a success but the high launch prices of ?250 and ?300 were ludicrously high. Most people don't know that the consoles received a price cut about 2 months ago.

?150 is still a joke, I can get an xbox 360 cheaper than that. ?99 or there abouts is where it needs to be if I'm honest, more than ?99 and it's a big con.

And you're missing the point of the post aren't you?

The point of your post is lost on the fact that this thread has nothing to do with the 360 anyway. Also, Microsoft has been heavily criticized even to this day for the 360 debacle. I don't care for Microsoft either myself, but it's old news man. Not sure what more you expect people to say about it at this point... :ermm:

---

Anyway, I don't think this patch will do much. This isn't Windows 8 where a patch will be the relief people are wanting; rather, it will be seeing some actual games released that will be the relief. Until then, there's really not a huge reason to jump aboard the WiiU platform as it stands. This is particularly bad considering the next generation of gaming consoles is around the corner. Not sure what this "head start" is doing for Nintendo, aside from allowing people to forget about it completely by the time the holidays come around. Hopefully they have some plans for the end of 2013 though. Otherwise, I wouldn't doubt them getting buried.

We'll see I guess.

?150 is still a joke, I can get an xbox 360 cheaper than that. ?99 or there abouts is where it needs to be if I'm honest, more than ?99 and it's a big con.

The graphics are better on the wii u though, it supports shader model 3.0. Once they have optimised it and game developers have figured out how to best make use of the hardware pretty much all games will be better looking and with higher framerates. ?150 is a good price i think. We just need nintendo's own games now and hopefully that will result in enough consoles sold to make other studios to release games for the wii u.

The latest patch did help loading times a decent amount. If they can improve them even more, that would be great.

All I know is Rayman Legends Challenges is single handedly responsible for me playing the WiiU again. In fact yesterday was the first day I did not fire it up since that game was released. I just really love the idea of daily challenges, as it gives me a reason to check out the game every day.

Also I have Resident Evil Revelations on my GameFly queue, and I believe that comes out next week?? The entire game can be played from the GamePad, and since I do not have a DS I missed out on it, so looking forward to checking it out.

They just need some more games. The concept of the GamePad is a great one, and it really has given me more time to game than I would have otherwise. I just wish it reached the upstairs of my house.

The WiiU is not a great console on its own. But as a console that exists in a multi console environment such as my own, it can serve a good purpose for sure. If it was the only console I owned, I would be pretty damn irate over the lack of games being released. For now I am trying to remain patient. I admit before Rayman came out I was very close to selling it, but now that I have it and RE is coming, I will give it some time once again.

I agree for the most part with what you're saying before in that some games are better than none at all, but one of the main reasons I never really play ModNation Racers on the PS3 is due to the awful load times. I enjoyed the game a fair bit but waiting ages between races just wasn't fun and ultimately turned me away from it (always have a backlog of games I'm working through so it's not like it was the only game I had to play).