Debian Wheezy Released

Blu-ray install media? What in the world needs that size disc? Can't say I have seen any other Linux flavors with Blu-ray sized install media.

You do not need to download the whole set of dvds or all the cd's. You can simply download the 1st cd (or the netinstall which is what I would recommend for debian) and it will install fine (the installer is smart enough to download anything else it needs from the internet, and the installer lets you choose what metapackages to install so you aren't forced to download a whole dvd's worth of packages either).

You do not need to download the whole set of dvds or all the cd's. You can simply download the 1st cd (or the netinstall which is what I would recommend for debian) and it will install fine (the installer is smart enough to download anything else it needs from the internet, and the installer lets you choose what metapackages to install so you aren't forced to download a whole dvd's worth of packages either).

+2, I always installed Debian with netinstall.

thats what i did 277mb download and then download the rest in the install

Does anyone still use the stable version of Debian? I mean yikes, it is so very far behind. Most distros built on Debian use unstable now.

People who run servers, mostly. For my servers, I want a stable base that I know will be supported for several years.

I still have a couple of servers on Debian Stable. However, for new servers I've moved to Ubuntu LTS. Both have been rock solid for me.

People who run servers, mostly. For my servers, I want a stable base that I know will be supported for several years.

I still have a couple of servers on Debian Stable. However, for new servers I've moved to Ubuntu LTS. Both have been rock solid for me.

Aye. I was actually referring to home users. Debian definitely has a place on servers. :-) I have managed a few VoIP servers running really old builds of Debian. They just keep going and going with no issues.

Wheezy? Is this named after Louise Jefferson?

Debian actually uses a Toy Story naming scheme. Each release is named after a character from one of Disney's Toy Story movies. Examples: 3.1 (Sarge), 4.0 (Etch), 5.0 (Lenny), 6.0 (Squeeze), 7.0 (Wheezy), Unstable (Sid).

Installed this last night and replaced my fedora install

liking it so far :)

Thanks for the heads up. (Y)

Does anyone still use the stable version of Debian? I mean yikes, it is so very far behind. Most distros built on Debian use unstable now.

I use it. Yesterday I "upgraded" PC from 6.0 to 7.0 via clean install. I am "home user" of Debian.

hey guys in fedora i could just do

sudo yum update
[/CODE]

to do any updates

is Debian just

[CODE]
sudo apt-get update
[/CODE]

?

sudo apt-get update, syncs the repos

sudo apt-get upgrade or sudo apt-get dist-upgrade updates the system :)

hey guys in fedora i could just do

sudo yum update
[/CODE]

to do any updates

is Debian just

[CODE]
sudo apt-get update
[/CODE]

?

sean.ferguson is correct.[i] yum update[/i] is the equivalent of [i]apt-get update && apt-get upgrade[/i]. If you want a graphical update manager for Debian, much the like the one Fedora has installed by default, you can install the [i]update-manager-gnome[/i] package. If you want an APT front-end that combines the power of APT with a simple graphical interface, install [i]synaptic[/i].

I tried the Live Install images but only the amd64 version booted properly (with some errors).

Debian actually uses a Toy Story naming scheme. Each release is named after a character from one of Disney's Toy Story movies. Examples: 3.1 (Sarge), 4.0 (Etch), 5.0 (Lenny), 6.0 (Squeeze), 7.0 (Wheezy), Unstable (Sid).
Bruce Perens worked at Pixar.

I tried it for my personal use but it isn't for me. It's great on my server, though. Running Xubuntu 13.04 for personal use. On my desktop it needed binary blobs and I didn't feel like hunting that down.

This isn't to old of a thread and I think I saw it mentioned here before when I was shopping around for a new distro to try.

I haven't ever tried this one before so downloaded the stable version and even burned it to a disc, if you can believe that!

Anyway,

I have had it installed for about 5 days now and no matter what I try, I can not get flash to work! I've done so many searches and tried so many things I'm really beginning to get frustrated with this distro already.

I'm trying this on an old AMD Athlon 2000 which I have found is known to have issues with the last supported version of flash for linux and don't have a clue how to install version 10 of flash, which is supposed to work!

Can anyone give me some big time assistance on this, please. Really liking how this distro is running and as much as I hate flash, it's just a necessity some times.

Even Chrome with it's built in flash player is not working and in fact doesn't even show up in about:plugins!!

Thank you

This isn't to old of a thread and I think I saw it mentioned here before when I was shopping around for a new distro to try.

I haven't ever tried this one before so downloaded the stable version and even burned it to a disc, if you can believe that!

Anyway,

I have had it installed for about 5 days now and no matter what I try, I can not get flash to work! I've done so many searches and tried so many things I'm really beginning to get frustrated with this distro already.

I'm trying this on an old AMD Athlon 2000 which I have found is known to have issues with the last supported version of flash for linux and don't have a clue how to install version 10 of flash, which is supposed to work!

Can anyone give me some big time assistance on this, please. Really liking how this distro is running and as much as I hate flash, it's just a necessity some times.

Even Chrome with it's built in flash player is not working and in fact doesn't even show up in about:plugins!!

Thank you

Have you installed Adobe Flash Player from the repository?

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
[/CODE]

Thanks for the heads up. (Y)

I use (used) squeeze still. I'll be updating shortly now.

Have you installed Adobe Flash Player from the repository?

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
[/CODE]

Several times!!

That brings up another issue though.

How come sudo doesn't work but su does?

From what I've read, the latest version of flash does not work on an AMD that does not have/support a SSE compatible motherboard, or something to that effect.

The closest I can get to it working is when going to a site with flash on it, I get a totally blank/black area. If I disable flash while it's installed, I can get the missing plugin error. That's why I asked about how to install flash player 10, as that version doesn't require an SSE ready board. I'm about totally illiterate when it comes to using the command line.

Thanks

you can install sudo if Sudo does not work

you will also have to add ur user to sudoers list aswell if installing manually

Install sudo?!

Always thought that was a basic function in Linux and one of it's most powerful tools? What kind of sense does that make to NOT include sudo?

Will check into it tonight though.

Thanks

Install sudo?!

Always thought that was a basic function in Linux and one of it's most powerful tools? What kind of sense does that make to NOT include sudo?

Will check into it tonight though.

Thanks

It's never been in the default install AFAIK. Just use "apt-get install sudo" and run "visudo" to edit the sudoers file. You can add your login name by copying the line that says "root ALL=(ALL) ALL" and change the user name. (Or just use "%admin ALL=(ALL) ALL" and add yourself to the admin group.)

Depends on the distro.. some default to sudo, some have you use a superuser account.. you can change it either way though. Personally prefer sudo myself but they both have their benefits.

Just weird that as many ditros as I've tried, I've never come across one that didn't have sudo installed from the get go. I usually stick with debian/slackware based distros. I guess this stable version of Debian IS way behind the times!!